Centre Stand

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: CapoNord ETV1000: Centre Stand
By Gpf on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 03:19 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Have any of you guys fitted the centre stand?
Does it ruin ground clearance? (Which, I suspect, is the reason that it wasn't fitted as standard).

I'm finding it a real sod to oil the chain so have a centre stand on order. I was just going to fit it (without the spring) for the weekly clean/oil/chain tighten but wonder whether I wouldn't be better off having it permanently in place.

Your experiences greatly welcomed.  

By Guzzi on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 10:59 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

I had a centre stand on order for 5 months, but have now bought a Micron paddock stand - perfect solution for chain adjustment - have since cancelled my stand order.

Dave  

By Gpf on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 11:19 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

I've got a paddock stand from when wife had a CBR400RR. Can't work out how to get the damn thing up onto it by myself....  

By Guzzi on Monday, April 01, 2002 - 02:56 pm:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

Your right, can't do it easily by yourself, need someone to hang onto the handlebars while you raise it (as the bishop said to the actress)

How are you finding the Capo?

Dave  

By Gpf on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 09:24 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Very different to the Honda Blackbird!

I'm doing a 100 miles a day commute on the A1 into London. I've found that I have to consciously relax in cross-winds and, so long as I do that, it behaves pretty reasonably in wind.

It's surprisingly nimble in the heavy traffic - much easier to manoeuvre than the 'Bird and I have no problem shooting to the front of the queues at lights or lane splitting on the dual carriageway - something that would make me feel beaten up after the same journey on the CBR.

I'm annoyed with myself tonight - filled up and caught the nozzle on the lip just inside the filler neck on the tank. Fuel went upwards and washed everything - including the screen. The screen is not petrol proof: it has stained and marked with the runs. Not terribly expensive to replace but annoying use of wrong material.

Performance-wise, I can't tell. I've been used to a screaming four so am having to get to grips with a twin again. Traffic seems to be a long way back when I do drag starts. Also seems easy to pop the wheel in the air pouring on the gas when coming off roundabouts - something I'm pretty careful with 'cos the 'Bird used to spin up the back wheel. I've resisted going out with the lads to play until I'd got it well run in and also used to its cornering ability. I shall be taking it to the MCN thrash at Skeggy weekend after next. May well give it a spin around Cadwell Park just to see what it feels like on a track.....

Graham  

By Guzzi on Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 01:13 pm:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

Agree about needing to relax with those side winds, I'm up and down the M40 and it was a bit hairy on a couple of occasions. Once I realised the Capo likes to be in control and I let it do the work for me its no problem;)

What do you think of the Tourance tyres? I've had a couple of minor dry weather slides and I'm thinking that the tyre compound is a bit hard.

I had a petrol flood just like yours but missed the screen - wrong material, would be worth mentioning this to Aprilia. Not sure where your based but I would recommend Bikewise at Abingdon Oxon, small dealer but has a friendly owner (John) and a good mechanic (Jim) whose been around and knows his stuff. I'm off to Le Mans with John (on RSV Mille) in 2 weeks

Dave 

By Gpf on Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 11:08 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

I live in a tiny village between Sandy and St Neots on the A1. Point taken about mentioning it to Aprilia: I use Eric Sawford's place in St Neots - he lives in the village and his family all work in the business. Seem to have a good mechanic there, too. They're agents for all the Jap marques as well as Ducati and Aprilia. I don't think I'd dare use anyone else.

Couple of dry slips today but that could well have been my experiments with Castrol Chain Wax. Seems magic stuff but somehow a splodge shed itself onto the LH tyre edge - and I'm still trying to get the hero blob that side to match the other one.

The main thing I miss from the Blackbird is the brakes. The twin two pots are nothing like the twin fours on the 'Bird. I guess the diving suspension and funny tyres mean that something a bit stronger is out of the question? I'm really inclined to look at upgrading them somehow...

Enjoy Le Mans (as if I needed to write that!).

Graham 

By Guzzi on Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 02:49 pm:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

Brakes...

Bike mag reported front soft, rear too sharp, mine are the other way round, front v sharp, rear too soft. I've always rated Brembo - wonder if its a setup problem?

Dave  

By Aprilliag on Friday, April 05, 2002 - 03:50 am:  View Aprilliag's Profile Search for other posts by Aprilliag Edit this post

GPF
Was that your Mille R in Erics earlier this week Having track boots fitted,I'm told stand up Wheelies are your fortie I live in St'Neots and think I remember having you up my chuff (ooooer)going up the Highum Ferras (B645)road last year (I was on a strangly coloured R1)No doubt we will meet again on this particular piece of road (Look out for an even more strangely painted Mille you'll see what I mean)It'll be the one in front do try and keep upNO KICKING as you go by 

By Gpf on Friday, April 05, 2002 - 08:55 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

I should be so lucky. The only resemblance to the Mille is the Aprilia name.... it's a Caponord!

Last year I'd have been right up yer tailpipe on a Honda Blackbird... 'til I got pulled on that road and given a "talking to" by plod. Got let off when he found out I was "local" but have steered clear of the old A45 since - except at "legal" speeds on my way elsewhere.

Going a bit slower now so it'll be you trying to see round the highsided vehicle!!!

Graham

(Sorry, batteries have just run out on the bloody radio mouse - really tough trying to do this.) 

By Gpf on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:18 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Brakes...

Bike mag reported front soft, rear too sharp

Small world, really. If you recall the story in Bike, Chippy Wood fell off and broke his leg having locked the rear.

A month or so ago my missus gave the same Chippy Wood a lift to Bedford Station - they were both waiting for a train at Sandy that never came and Chippy was off to Spain to test a new Aprilia...

I reckon that both front and rear are too soft - but I've got nothing to really compare them with after having had the Blackbird for nearly 5 years. I realise it's non-PC but I really like the linked brakes as well.... 

By Gpf on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 10:23 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Fcuking centre stand is becoming imperative. Just dropped the bloody bike - the paddock stand bent and the whole lot went forward. Of course, the bloody thing tipped to the right - away from the side stand.

Happily there was a bag of compost and a stack of cycles for it to fall against so there are only a couple of small scratches, some slight damage to the twistgrip rubber; and a small score to the rear wheel. My racing cycle (push-bike!) now needs a new rear wheel...

Something that did occur before the tumble: how the hell am I supposed to check the chain? Even with a paddock stand the suspension is still loaded in exactly the same way as if the rear tyre was on the floor.  

By Guzzi on Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 11:20 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

oh shit;(

If it helps, I managed to find the paint work with the edge of a skip, and then ripped my seat with a sharp edge of a boot - such is life.

Your right about the chain being under some tension with the paddock stand but its probably within tolerances. First time I noticed my chain needing attention was when I got a horrible rattle against the plastic guide - even then it only needed minor adjustment.

As for the brakes - my old Guzzi had linked brakes - got used to only pressing the foot pedal and had to re-train myself when I got the Aprilia.

Dave  

By Gpf on Monday, April 08, 2002 - 11:36 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Spoke with Aprilia up there in Wigtown this morning and was told that the first delivery of centre stands arrived last week. More are expected this week. Seems that the subcontractor had been out for a long lunch....  

By Guzzi on Monday, April 08, 2002 - 11:56 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

I might just get one afterall - how much have you been quoted?

Discovered I've got a slow puncture in my rear - had a big slide round a roundabout. Had a look and can't see obvious holes or damage. Three days before Le Mans and I'm wondering what to plug it with. Thinking of bunging some GOOP in and hoping for the best.

Any ideas?

Dave  

By Gpf on Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:40 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

The price of the centrestand was 50 odd quid. But I didn't (at the time) want it fitted - I was just going to use it to do the chain. Having now seen the alarming lean in the company car park I'm having second thoughts....

In the past I've always binned a tyre with a puncture.... but then, I've never been used to going this slow! I think there's one on the goos that says you can just use the tyre as normal as long as it's sealed. Let me know how well it works. 

By Guzzi on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:44 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

Your going to have to get used to life without the Bird

There's some enduro racing cans coming for the Capo www.leovince.com

You never know life might be worth living

Dave 

By Gpf on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:15 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Centre stand arrived at Eric's place today. First time ever they had seen anything labelled up as "URGENT! URGENT! URGENT!"

Price is £56+VAT. I'll get them to fit it for me on Friday morning before heading for Skeggy. Two up with all the luggage I'll be able to test it's ground clearance....

Race can sounds interesting - especially as I leave home before 6am each morning. I did notice, though, that the site hasn't been updated for some time so I wonder whether they are already available. Is a race chip also available do you know?

Graham 

By Guzzi on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:42 pm:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

The site is out of date, I got a LeoVince leaflet from Bikewise and it shows the Alloy EC Street legal slip-ons and the Alloy Enduro Racing Slip-ons available for the Capo.

Couldn't work out how to include an image so I've emailed you a jpg of them.

I'll check out the prices.

Dave  

By Gpf on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:30 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Centre stand fitted by St Neots M/C on Friday. Took an hour to fit - quite a lot to it. Apparently it gave them all a good laugh when I said I'd do it myself as and when I needed to oil the chain.... Total job cost £85.

The kit includes extra long hero blobs - about double the length of the originals. Don't know what they are for: I grounded the stand and still haven't reached the blobs.

As you can tell, ground clearance has been considerably reduced so, if I do decide on a track day, I'll have to remove the centre stand first.

On the plus side, the bike has now done 2000 miles and has "come on song". Thoroughly enjoyed thrashing it back from Skeggy last night - including remodelling the new stand...  

By Guzzi on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:42 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

Glad to hear its loosening up. You will need to get past 4k to feel the full power and for the comfort factor at low revs. I'm just passing 6k and I think I'm just about run in 

By Gpf on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:39 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Are you finding that you use a bit of oil? I guess I've put in around a pint for the 2000 miles. Never had to put any in the Honda but the Divvie used to drink the stuff every time the speed crept over the ton.

By the way, ground off the new, extra long, hero blob in the RHS, so it's only the LHS where the stand grounds out first. That gives me 50% comfort.....  

By Guzzi on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 11:10 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

I've been told to ignore the oil level indicator, the dry sump can do strange things to the levels (sometimes mine is on the low line and other times up near the top).

Now that you've mentioned it I'll ask the question again.

Dave  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation