Lying injured.

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Lying injured.
By Tinkytot on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:07 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

I came out of the house yesterday to find my bike had fallen over. I could have cried but I fought back the tears and picked the twat up.

I always thought the stand was ok, well now I know better.

I was half expecting to look back here and find the trackday all organised, but it's a bit quiet - whats going on?

Damage to the bike at first seem like just a clutch lever and indicator, but riding the bike this morning I notice the handalbar is bent.
Any thoughts on whether I should buy a new one or try and straighten it??

- rob.

Hope you all had a good new year, I'm going to try and stop drinking for a month - any advise on that would not go a miss either. 

By Scotty on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:27 pm:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

m8 sorry to hear that... had the same problem last year... strong wind.. but mine fell on the right hand side. damage minimal but the bent handle bar made a nice cruise control i.e. throttle was stuck open and had to be manually closed.

I had to buy a new right handle bar... don't think you can't straighten them too well - not without proper equipment I would guess.

Fullspeed apart (found in MCN) had brand new one which I picked up for about £90 which is much cheaper than the £150 plus VAT that Aprilia wanted.
Phone 0700-2222-362
Also the same guy runs a secondhand part business called Trademark Aprilia which might have one Phone 01398-341-409

I've ordered parts from both of these companies and only realised that it was the same guy running both after recognising his voice. He also remembered me.

Parts are couriered and well packaged and come the next day - very happy with his service.

For those that always might wonder - I have no affiliation to these companies am just happy with good prices and quick service.  

By Dave on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:31 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Hard luck mate, my left bar has been bent since my off at Cadwell 2001 but its very slight so I left it. Re the cluch lever, I got a cheep replacement I think from rsvr.net - replaced the lever itself but not the pivot which is different.

Re the trackday, weekend dates are pretty sparce with 100pc at least - so suggestions welcome.

I'm just back from Estonia - -20 to -30 C and a foot of snow! Also demonstrated to the locals that approaching a drunk Scotsman while engaged in his dance can lead to pain! At least I managed to not fall over this time

Re not drinking for a month - how about a coma?  

By Dave on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:37 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Yo Scotty, up for meeting up in the center for a beer this week? mebe Thursday or weekend? Anyone else from London? Rob, you can have a coke  

By Geo on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 01:50 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Are you sure that the bar is bent? Often when a bike gets dropped, the fork gets twisted in the triple clamps.
While riding straight on try looking down at the top triple clamp (yoke?) and see if that's straight.
If it isn't then it's easy to twist back in line, just loosen the lower clamp and hit the front wheel against the curb, then bounce it up and down a few times to make sure it doesn't bind then tighten the bolts and try it again.  

By Scotty on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 02:31 pm:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

I found out that my bar was bent after I asked a garage to check the allignment - thinking that it had just moved around out of alignment on the fork and that it was that stopping the throttle working correctly.
After re-aligning it and then pointing it out it was then obvious to see that the bar was bent.

Potentially Thursday Dave.. send me an email offline..  

By Tinkytot on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 02:42 pm:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

The bar does actually look bent as opposed to squew-whiff but I'll have a look to make sure.

Dave, have you been working in Estonia? I think the boozing thing is going to be really hard, I badly look forward to getting smashed at the weekend which is partly why I'm doing it. I could manage Thursday also my e-mail is on my profile.

Scotty I called your guy, he's not got the handlebar but has got a clutch lever at £26. I realised also that the front indicators are interchangeable with the back ones, I have a spare set of those so thats that solved. He's given me 0114 2855580 (a comp called HMC) for a new handlebar. Not called them yet. See you on Thursday if it works out.

Thanks.  

By Geo on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 04:13 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I mentioned it because the bike falling off its stand is nowhere as hard as a getoff at the track and if you're lucky enough....

That's the reason that I don't like that stock bars are be bolted to the triple clamp, unlike aftermarket ones they can't rotate and avoid getting bent.  

By Dave on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 04:45 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Rob, my missus is Estonian and she's working over there for a few months so I went over for the new year. Nice to get away from London for a bit and it realy was beautifull with all that snow, but its good to be back in London and a nice warm 0 degrees I too will be on the wagon but I've decided to leave it till next week...

re the bar, I only noticed the bend while cleaning, the choke lever mount and the switch gear didn't but-up squarely. Its only noticable on full lock and even then only slightly traps me thumb. How bad is your bend? I too have herd of them being straightened but I'd leave it to an expert as too much bending, to state the obvious, can leave metal brittle.

Geo, I believe Bef's removed the lugs that fix the bars to the top yoke so he could adjust the positioning of the bars, they're only fixed to the yoke for positioning. 

By Geo on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 05:01 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

>> they're only fixed to the yoke for positioning.>>

Yep I know, if I had stock bars I'd remove those bolts. I know that it's better not to go down at all but until I figure out how.....  

By Tinkytot on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 05:07 pm:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Well I just spoke to a mate who has a workshop, he said we should be able to bend it back but it's(whether it will crack or not) dependant on so many things.

I can see that the choke is out of line also and my thumb does get trapped.

You know I've got half a mind to take all the fittings off and twat it softly with a big lump hammer. It might just work.  

By Scotty on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 05:21 pm:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Well mine got blown to the right off the stand and bent the right hand handle bar as the steering lock was on i.e. the bars couldn't move.. which actually saved the rest of the bike from very much damage... quite worthless in hindsight as I got knocked off the bike a few months later and it fell on the same side, however the accident didn't rebend the clipon as the bars went full lock right with the impact..
Anyhow right hand handle bars are slightly more critical then left hand ones esp if the throttle doesn't work correctly  

By Johnl on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:31 am:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi Tinkytot

Sorry to hear that your bike fell over, I would imagine that it was partly due to the sidestand. If you can, fit a suzuki gsxr 600 stand. It makes a great improvement to the stability.

john  

By Tinkytot on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 02:19 pm:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

John,
Yes your right, it was only partly, I realised it was leaning over slightly too much so I was as angry with myself as I was with the stupid stand.

- rob.  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:09 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

My first purchase after buying the Falco was a Pit Bull rear stand. The Falco may tip over while it is parked somewhere else, but I'm not taking a chance on it while it is parked in my garage. It is much cheaper than plastic bits and clip-ons, not to mention exhaust cans.  

By Befbever on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:55 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

How nice to switch to a different URL while I tried to get my 'puter sorted.

Tinky, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Mine won't fall over no matter what. The reason's the Bef Side Stand Mod.

I didn't remove the lugs but took a file to enlarge the holes. Lesson #1 on how to do that on a brandnew bike: take off the tank first!

Quote:

Re not drinking for a month - how about a coma?

By Adrian on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 06:56 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

I am going out on a limb here and don't mean to offend... Scotty, how windy was it when your bike got blown over? Not to sound too paranoid but Scotty and Tinkytot do you think someone tipped your bikes over either accidentally or deliberately? I remember hearing someone say that the UK vs. the US bikes had different side-stands, is this true?, does this explain part of the problem?  

By Scotty on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:41 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Adrian, Maybe but I doubt it very much since I believe it was the 70+mph wind (aka hurricane) that probably caused the problem... yes we did have one last year in London! My bike gets covered... obviously the sail effect helped it to fall over..

And no I wasn't the only person I know with a bike that got blown over that particular day! The wind was strong enough to lift and dump an R6 onto its side of a guy I know here at my office.

My Flat where I park my bike has private and off road secure parking i.e has badge a controlled gate in and out of the place. There is no passing traffic since its on a close.

BTW the bike now gets secured with a tie strap hooked onto the subframe and then around the same solid object that its chained to every night! This now ensures that it can't accidently be blown off the stand anymore.  

By Tinkytot on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 01:12 pm:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Mine could have been bumped or pushed, it was parket on the street at the time as I was just nipping into the house for 10 mins. Hence it dint bother me too much that it was a bit wobbley.

The blame lies 95% me 5% stupid stand.

It was quite windy though. 25mph, gusting 40. I know this coz I was going windsurfing that day.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation