Stock exhaust construction

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Stock exhaust construction
By Litre1 on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:01 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I am curious about the construction of the stock cans. They appear to be straight-shot cans with dB killers inserted into the ends. Can anyone confirm this?

I thought a cheap way of adding hp would be to remove the inserts from the stockers thereby "derestricting" the cans. (Of course it would be wise to buy a second set before attempting this type of surgery)  

By Befbever on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:29 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Aah, I think it's been a long time since this question was first asked. I can't remember what the answer was but I'm thinking it was something along the lines of:
"why waste those expensive stock cans without trying some fine aftermarket ones first?"

I could be wrong of course.  

By Litre1 on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:00 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Ah, Bef. You're no fun! I bought a stock RSV exhaust and oil pan to go on the Falco when I want something a little different. I cut the stock RSV can up and removed the very restrictive steel filter (removing approx. 5 pounds), leaving me with an expansion chamber with 2 inlets and 2 outlets. I just need to find someone to weld it back together for me.

That is what piqued my curiosity about the Falco stockers.

As for those "expensive" stock cans; they may be expensive to buy new, but, since they are less desireable compared to aftermarket, I can pick up a second hand set for less than $100. This, in my eyes, makes them pretty cheap. But then again, I can rationalize just about anything that will make me happy. 

By Befbever on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 01:14 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Well, I thought the cheapest way to gain extra hp and especially torque was to get the cans, eprom and more importantly the airkit. Haven't regretted it since and I'm on a tight budget here.

If you do find more than I did or even the same for $1000, do let me know!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation