Slippy clutch at 12.5K miles, this about right?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Slippy clutch at 12.5K miles, this about right?
By Jimm on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 05:41 am:  View Jimm's Profile Search for other posts by Jimm Edit this post

Coming up for a year of Falco ownership in March and so far have put approx 6K miles on this wonderful bike. Clutch is now getting slippy when I lard it on a bit, is this about normal and what can I expect to pay a dealer to fit new plates? Anyone fitted new plates themselves? I'm not a complete arse at mechanicking have long history stretching from Villiers to present. I used to slice up old bottle corks to replace friction material on Villiers singles - I presume this isn't the std practice for Aprilia clutches. Also just a quick enquiry to see if there are any Falco owners out there in the Manchester/ Cheshire area who meet up and bore the f*** out of each other occasionally? Any local dealer recommendations too? 

By Bossbob on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 08:21 am:  View Bossbob's Profile Search for other posts by Bossbob Edit this post

This link covers clutch replacement on a Mille... same odds.
http://www.geocities.com/sl_mille/clutch.html
I have read on a board somewhere that one guy reckons its a 25min job at a track day to take out the plates, rough them up with emery paper and refit.I think the theory is that the slipper clutch polishes the plates if your hard on the engine braking.
I know nuttin about cheshire BTW :)
Rab 

By Magic on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:28 am:  View Magic's Profile Search for other posts by Magic Edit this post

Jim, there are a couple of riders in the Cheshire area myself in Crewe and Falcorob in Northwich who I can think of off hand. Rob's trying to organise a trackday for next year if interested. Was going to be at Oulton Park, not sure where now Cadwell I think. There is a dealer in St. Helens who came highly recommended in Ride's survey, see if I can find the name.  

By Rca on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 04:01 pm:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Check my posting on the Mille Board titled Barnett Clutch.  

By Wilko on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 04:27 pm:  View Wilko's Profile Search for other posts by Wilko Edit this post

Jimm

Mine was slipping at about 12500 miles mainly 3rd 4th gear, replaced it for about £80, as for half an hour.......hmmmm took me best part of 2 hours, then again I have never replaced one before that.

Paul  

By Johnl on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 05:26 pm:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi Jim

I live between Wigan and Warrington, I think the dealer in St Helens is Millenium Motorcycles. I have been there and they are VERY expensive. If you can, try Rocket Motorcycles in Blackburn fair pricing and good advice.  

By Jimm on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 07:47 pm:  View Jimm's Profile Search for other posts by Jimm Edit this post

Cheers everyone for the replies. Checked out the excellent web 'replace your own clutch guide' and have to say it all looks pretty straightforward. I'll go for that and will report back on any particular highlights. I do have workshop manual for this bike, but notice that it appears to have the engine section completely missing! As for trackdays, would be very interested in an Oulton outing, but single parent commitments make travelling further afield for a day rather more complicated. Good to be here. Thanks for all the support, happy new year to you all - tell I've just got back from Glen Livet-ing it up in Scotland can't you!  

By Litre1 on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 07:54 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Mototek in Texas has shop manuals for the RSV engine. That should work. They run US$138.41, but I'd say it would be worth it.

You say you have a Falco service manual? What body part did you give for that? Any way we could persuade you to scan it to PDF and store it on an inconspicuous server?  

By Litre1 on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 07:55 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Sorry, I forgot to give you the link. www.mototek.com 

By Bossbob on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 10:49 pm:  View Bossbob's Profile Search for other posts by Bossbob Edit this post

Glad you liked the DIY page, I thought it was a belter too .... gonna save me a few bob that site is
So where in Scotland were ye Glen livitin it up then?? no the Edinburgh street bash? 

By Jimm on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 11:56 am:  View Jimm's Profile Search for other posts by Jimm Edit this post

Yes Bb, Glen Livet-ing it up in Edinburgh, though not on some freezing (and yes it was b. cold, and not wet as poor ol England was I believe!)street with a load of pissed up students. I was in a warm well-booze-stocked house - with a karaoke machine! - sad but true, ah how Hogmanay has changed! And I can just about still hear the whirring as Andy Stewart spins in his wee grave.  

By Twowheels78 on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 08:13 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Jimm, what kind of clutch did you get? Aprilia replacement or aftermarket? Mine started slipping late last fall, at about 10,000 miles. I just ordered a new Barnett clutch pack from Evoluzione, $145.99 with free shipping. It's the Barnett Carbon Fiber series, see here for more info I already have the Evoluzione clutch slave, mine was leaking I'm going to order a new clutch line shortly. Then I'm going to rebuild the whole clutch system. I've got Speigler brake lines so I'll probably go to them for the clutch line, last time I talked to them they quoted me $60. Anybody else use the Barnett clutch kit? With what result? 

By Jimm on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 08:31 pm:  View Jimm's Profile Search for other posts by Jimm Edit this post

Hi TW78, still not got a clutch, though your deal through Evoluzione does sound a good one - will check them out. I think that RSVR.net are quoting around the same price in £sterling. My latest acquisition is a Mille swinging arm, now all i have to do is work out how I'm going to keep the whole bike off the ground to fit the thing! I'll make a posting here when I do the clutch.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation