Musical Bikers - Any more out there?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Musical Bikers - Any more out there?
By Molan on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 09:15 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

OK so this started out as a brief quip in another thread about there being no bikers who are also musicians as they'd be too worried about falling & damaging their precious fingers

But as a couple of people have already mildly rebuked me for suggesting such a thing, I thought I'd ask if there are any more of you out there?

As a starter I play bass in a couple of bands, 11 piece 60's soul band & 4 piece 70's rock...

By Chuzo on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 01:42 pm:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

I play guitar and piano (for myself, not in a band). Main point I think, would be whether you earn a living with music (and your hands) or not. The same would apply also to a surgeon.  

By Fullstate on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 08:10 am:  View Fullstate's Profile Search for other posts by Fullstate Edit this post

Chuzo - this is a good point that you make. I certainly do not earn a living doing it, but I have been paid for playing in the past.

I always said that if I was still serious about "making it" I would be working at Jack In The Box and playing in bands.

Of course, then I would probably not be able to have afforded a Falco in the first place!! 

By Rottyidaho on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 07:23 pm:  View Rottyidaho's Profile Search for other posts by Rottyidaho Edit this post

I sing and play bass, drums and guitar. Sang '80s metal, bassed 80's pop and drummed 70's rock for audiences. Give guitar lessons to impressionable youngish rockers just to have an excuse to jam. Doesn't pay the bills though. Nuclear physics and microelectronics pay the bills. I'm worried about falling and damaging my precious head more than my precious fingers.

I don't think professional musicians worry about the ill effects of a bike wreck on their fingers, faces, hair or voices. Hell, if they were that concerned about their physical well being, you wouldn't see so many rehab tales on Behind the Music. You don't see musicians riding because it's expensive and you can't haul your gear on a bike. If you have to have a car, then also having a bike is expensive on a musician's income.  

By Scotty on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:00 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

I play guitar and piano/keyboards.. not professionally though - just for fun.

At no point have I been put off motorcycling due to accidents and me thinking about this... wearing proper gloves all the time seems to have done their job.. i.e. stopping your hands getting damaged.  

By Molan on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 08:33 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Hi there felow muso bikers,

I was only joking about the "precious fingers" stuff

I think generally you either have a biker mentality or you don't? If you were always worried about the potential dangers you wouldn't go near a bike (certainly not living & riding in a big city as I do very regularly!).

However I did fall (not off the bike!) a damage a left index finger right before a big gig - playing with only three properly working fingers on a five string wide fretboard bass was fun

Same fall cut my head open & I shouldn't be wearing a helmet at all at the moment. Tried one the other day & opened the cut again - damn, so now I can't play bass properly or ride my bike  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation