Brake Woes..

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Brake Woes..
By Splyn on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 01:28 pm:  View Splyn's Profile Search for other posts by Splyn Edit this post

i have been riding with my warped rotors since the dealer told me that they are covered under warrenty and the parts have been ordered. That was August. I finally picked up the replacement rotor (yes, only one side was warped) and i noticed a couple things. 1) the carrier is gold, not black like the stock carriers. 2) i can see wear marks on the warped rotor (spots spaced about .75 inches apart) that to me show the "warpedness". I have also started to see these marks on the "good" rotor. i was considering going back to the dealer, showing him the "good" rotor and having that replaced under warranty (in about 4 months accoding to how soon parts get to me). but then i thought about it again, "why should i have the rotors replaced by rotors that will probably warp again?" so with the X-mas cash in hand (plus some from my pocket) i would like to get a set of full-floating rotors that are (almost) guaranteed not to warp with the type of riding i do.

so my questions are:
1) who makes some high quality rotors that wiill fit my Falco?
2) advantages/disadvantages to stainless steel over iron (i only ride on the weekends, rare track days)?

Thanx.  

By Dave on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:10 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Sounds like your dealer's an arse. Did he make any comment about the fact he was giving you what sounds like an rsvr carrier? Also I was under the impression that both discs should be replaced at the same time? Even if replacing with oem, am I wrong???

Re the dots - I had the same and am convinced the cause is not warping but poor production process, leaving impurities in the metal itself which cause increased corosion local to them and eventual pitting, which will also be felt at the bars as judder assuming the pitting is not uniform over the whole disc.

1, in my case, pfm supersport upgrade == around 400 squid the pair.
2, cast discs have more friction than stainless and so better braking, but they have no built-in protection against the elements so if it sits in the rain they get a thin coat of rust. Also I believe the recommended pads for cast are softer than the stainless equiv so the pads wear relatively more and the discs in theory should last longer.  

By Befbever on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:46 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Splyn, I asked this question a few weeks ago. You should be able to find the thread on here somewhere.

I'm still pondering on what brand to get. The EBC's look the most promising IMHO. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation