Should I buy one

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Should I buy one
By Wimpy on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 09:12 am:  View Wimpy's Profile Search for other posts by Wimpy Edit this post

Hi Guys (& Gals if there are any out there).This is my first visit to the site & I would value your honest opinion.

I will be changing my bike in the spring, & I am looking for a V Twin. I am considering the ST4, Falco, and the SV1000 when I have seen it & tested it.
I have already been out on the falco and loved it.
What I would like to find out if possible, is what problems i can expect (no bike is perfect) & what could I do to avoid them. Some idea of sevicing costs would also be a great help as I dont trust salesmen.

Any comments would be a great help.

Cheers

Dave H  

By Durangokid on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 10:17 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

The short answer is yes.
I feel like a dog with two dicks owning one.

The only 'problems' that I see are:

Expensive service, first at 600 miles
V-twin eats tires, replace stock Z3's
Difficult to sell, resale value is low
Replacement parts cost a fortune  

By Befbever on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 10:59 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

The short answer is yes. How would a dog with two dicks feel anyway?

I begg to differ, durangokid:
First service was free.
The V-twin only eats tyres if you want it to.
Resale value is high enough in Euroland.
Parts were replaced under the 3-year warranty.

Having said that, the parts & warranty situation in the UK is pretty appalling. If you're anywhere near London, Wimpy, you shouldn't have any problems when it comes to servicing. We know a few addresses on this here board.

What to expect:
clutch wearing before its time (finally replaced mine after 20k miles or so)
front brake discs warping (I'm on my 3rd pair!)

These are about the only things you can do nothing about. Other than that, it's bliss!

27k miles so far and riding her every day!

By Litre1 on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 02:35 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

It does help to ride her pretty often. She doesn't like the battery to lag. I let mine sit too long at times, and she lets me know it. I've never had any problems with her firing up if I give her enough spark, though.

Second on the tire change. I don't know what the new models come with, but if it is the Z3's, have the dealer change them as part of the sale. One good thing about the Falco is that it shares the same engine with the RSV, so there are a lot of performace bits that will fit.

By Islefalco on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 03:52 pm:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Like everything, you can have problems. I worried about the reliability of the Falco before finally deciding to go for it. I have had no worries, in nearly 10k miles and still think its the best bike I have owned.

Should it go wrong the time to get parts is a bit of a worry, but it seems to depend on what goes wrong and when its ordered. Aprilia UK are not posessors of a great track record on parts availability at least. But you are buying something out of the ordinary with brilliant all round ability. I have no regrets.  

By Oldgit on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 03:47 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Wimpy, falco st4, firestorm all great bikes, my falco has been completely reliable. Having riden all of these bikes, i went for the falco - being tall it suited me and felt much quicker than the firestorm, i found the st4 a nice bike but expensive and i am not sure that i could live with the clutch rattle, at the end of the day the falco did it for me and as a bonus it has to be the best value v twin out there if you buy it well. Good luck. 

By Befbever on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:28 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Did I say "begg"? Sorry, I was holding an egg at the time.

I get easily confused, I do.  

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 01:56 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Mayo Man!

Mine (2001 Falco) has 8500 miles, four trackdays, and no maintenance or service issues, at ALL.

Ignore Bef, he uses the clutch to keep the revs up when he's too lazy to downshift for the turns...

Seems like the '01s are better sorted, and don't suffer the same problems:clutch, battery, etc. as do the earlier ones.

I love mine! 

By Befbever on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 01:39 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Racerx, you are truly mad!
The '01 is the same as the '00. Same clutch. Which I hardly use FYI ! I can afford to be lazy as I have a hairkit, same as you.

The fact you don't have battery or clutch problems just means you haven't had the bike long enough.
Although I hasten to add I don't expect you to have any battery issues due to the California weather.

I must say that with a couple of months to go, I pull in the clutch when starting in cold temps. I haven't had the starter clutch break and I like to avoid it if I can. 

By Molan on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 04:52 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

I'm also an '01 rider & have clocked up around 5,000 miles since August with no problems to date.

Can't directly compare with the other bikes you've mentioned but had an SV650 before the Falco. Nice little bike, & very easy to ride around town & not bad on the open road. Nothing like the punch of the Falco but maybe the extra 350cc of the SV1000 will help. However I think it will be difficult for Suzuki to give anything like the quality of "feel" the Aprilia has in terms of both riding pleasure & general build quality. Mine also got very nasty underneath after only one winter of UK riding.

I have a friend who had a Firestorm who loved it once it was sorted but it took a lot of effort to get it this way. Out of the box they are again nothing like the quality of an Aprilia.

Hope this helps

By Redhawk on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 09:27 am:  View Redhawk's Profile Search for other posts by Redhawk Edit this post

falco fit and finish is tight and solid. unrestricted...all dicks engorge rapidly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation