Coloured side panels

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Coloured side panels
By Dale on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:18 am:  View Dale's Profile Search for other posts by Dale Edit this post

I've been reading a lot of the messages posted in advance of trying before buying (it's too damn cold right now). I'm confused about the side panels, did they come colour matched on early models?

I've seen pics of red and black models with them painted and with Peter's belly pan it looks good.

If I get a 2002/3 model are the panels the same shape? I've seen the carbon fibre thread, but whats the point in painting them.

Happy Christmas Falconeers I hope Santa reads this and brings me one  

By Durangokid on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 07:14 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

The 2000 model came color matched in black and red. This is a little know fact... The color matching made the 2000 models faster. The later models are a matte black finish and therefore much, much slower.  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:16 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

That is true.

This info may help too...

Falco workshop manual 

By Dale on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:16 am:  View Dale's Profile Search for other posts by Dale Edit this post

Hey Kid,

I looked at your profile and it appears you ride a slow black one (2001) is this some sort of dodgy US legistlation to keep you down to 55 oops I mean 155mph 

By Dale on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:22 am:  View Dale's Profile Search for other posts by Dale Edit this post

Crmc33, you are a very sick man.  

By Durangokid on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:12 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

My Falco is titled as an '01, but the manufacture date was 02/00. You see we A-mur-i-kins require the biggest and the badest. Therefore, we can easily be deceived by clever European types into believing that a product manufactured in February of 2000 and titled as a 2001 model is in fact bigger and bader. This ruse is far to simple for uncultured, proud, big mouthed and imperialistic Colonists.  

By Dale on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:29 am:  View Dale's Profile Search for other posts by Dale Edit this post

Err thanks Kid, I think.

You seem to be up on the colour thing, so what colours did Aprilia do for what years. I'm of the opinion that black is best, but I'm not sure I can get a new one in black. 

By Durangokid on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:48 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

Dale,

My rant wasn't directed at you or anyone for that matter. I am studying for a Securities Licensing Exam ... Rules, Rules, Rules (speed limits, EPA, taxes)...so I'm a bit wound up at the moment.

My understanding of colors (sorry colour:

'00 Black and Red
'01 Silver, Blue and Yellow
'02 Gray and Red with 'R' graphics & Black Frame

In the states, you could probably find any of these colors as left-over model somewhere. Not sure about Jolly Old.

Chuk 

By Dave on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:00 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

As above, only the 00 models had the color matched side panels.

And of course Red Is Best, the only good thing about the Black uns is to remind owners of red uns how clever they were getting the PROPER color. As for the rest (silver/blue/yellow) They at least know they missed the boat but would all secretly like a red un, and don't whinge about it tho that could all change very quickly...

By Islefalco on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 03:15 pm:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

I have to say that all this red or black ones are fastest stuff is tiresome and, dare I say it, a bit childish. In any event, it is a well known fact that yellow ones are not only the best looking but are also the most rapid.

I hope that is the end of the matter.  

By Spoof on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:42 pm:  View Spoof's Profile Search for other posts by Spoof Edit this post

Well,

I've got a red one. By the way the 00s, plain red and black are all called 01s in the States, yet one more way we refuse to play with all the other kids. Anyhow, the color has grown on me, I do think it is a very beautiful, deep red, but I'd still be sorely tempted to swap bodywork with a yellow or a silver one, I've got to admit.

Anyone? Anyone?  

By Dave on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 05:38 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

tiresome, yet somehow irresistabubble  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:53 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I have a red one and its tyresomely slow 

By Scotty on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 02:00 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Personally I think Aprilia F*cked up by not painting the side panels of 2001 bikes... I still think looking at one it looks 'unfinished'.

If I happend to own one I might have invested in getting this put right Which I don't of course as I have a go faster 00 Red one! 

By Islefalco on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:01 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

I used to think it was strange that Aprilia did not paint the side panels on the 01 models. Now I have had mine for not far off 2 years I have grown used to it and now think it would be too yellow if the sidepanel was painted. Having said that, I have my bellypan painted yellow because I thought it would look too bland painted matt black. Now the overall effect of the side panels is to provide a contrast with the yellow, and IMHO it looks the muts nuts. Its all a matter of taste, of course. I mean, some people even think the black Falco looks good!  

By Falcorob on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:12 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

C'mon chaps. There is no debate here at all. It doesn't matter what colour you have 'cos they are all far faster than anything else
Well Blue ones are anyway

Falco's instantly turn you into a riding God with the ability of Rossi, the cool of Edwards, the control of Haga, and the looks of Shrek. Well maybe just the looks in my case.

Rob. 

By Befbever on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:27 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I have a peachy pink one and the faster I go, the redder the tip gets.

The ladies love that.

By Dave on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:56 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

By Islefalco on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:50 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Well Bef, that finished this thread!  

By Befbever on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:21 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

My work here is done.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation