Track Day Report from Australia...and pics

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Track Day Report from Australia...and pics
By Exdukenut on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:32 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Some friends and I booked with the Australian Superbike School for the first of their Premium Ride Days at Eastern Creek for last Monday (9th December).

What a great day! The day turned out to be a max of 26 degrees C, sun shining but with showers predicted for late afternoon (they never eventuated, but it "pissed down from 10pm that night for 2 days and an inch and a half or rain, which dowsed all the fires around Sydney).

The idea of the day was to provide an environment with 15 riders on the track at any one time (45 riders max for the day). They provided some instructors, if desired to speak to one, as well as a suspension class, and a fantastic spread of food and an expresso machine.

6 x 30 min sessions for each group (fast, medium, and slow). In all I covered 88 laps on the day. I started out in the medium group, and was consistently doing 1 min 58's in the first session. (The Supersport lap record currently stands at 1 min 42 secs). So there was lots of room for improvement, but I wanted to just "cruise" and get to know the track again.

Unfortunately, I started the day with the belly pan on, and promptly started to grind away on the left hand side. I tried adjusting my riding to hang off more, and go a liitle quicker, but still it ground off. So I tried some more ride height in the second session. Again grinding, so took the bellypan off for the rest of the day.

By the end of the third session I got my times down to 1min 55secs. Not too bad, which put me at the top of the medium group.

My best session was the 4th and 5th ones where I was consistantly lapping in the 1 min 53 mark with a best time for the day of 1min 52.75.

I took the bike to the suspension class to see if I was close to the mark for sag etc, on the front and rear. Surprisingly I was spot on, for the rear, and about 2mm out on the front.

I tell you what though the precision this Ohlin's gear gives, is phenominal. However after having raised the rear ride height, I did notice that the front end became quite twitchy at 230kmh down the straight, so I just wound the damper a few extra turns and it was nothing short of "stability plus", and combined with the OZ wheels, which I'd managed to get on, the previous weekend, made the bike extremely flickable in some of the tighter bends, but on rails for the straightline stuff.

As to my investment in the Ohlins suspension, and OZ wheels, I can honestly say, I definately have my money's worth just on that day at the track, let alone on the sure footedness on our local roads. You can honestly feel the suspension doing it's job, and knowing what they are actually doing at all times.

I had the M1 Metzlers fitted about 3 weeks ago, and the tyres are really, really good. As to a comparison against the 010's which I last used on the track, I think they may be just a little better. The 010's tended to ball up more (more heat generated etc), but I think I'll keep going on the M1's for the time being.

Some pics of the Ex and his weapon. P.S. a lot of people were quite amazed at what this sport tourer could do!!!

Some pics for you to peruse.

Bike1

Bike2

Kneedown

Turn12 

By Hansie on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:02 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Looks like a great day down there! Only 10 s behind de supersports record is quite good I think!

Bike turned out bjoutiful! Fork and wheels looking good!Just wait for the TNT system , great improvement too.

Shame about the color , red ones are faster!

Hansie 

By Exdukenut on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:59 am:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I was quite chuffed, I thought of my times. I don't reckon 10 seconds off, is too bad compared to full on racers! 

By Exdukenut on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 01:04 am:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Hansie, I was quite chuffed with my times. Maybe with a red one I could of got 10 secs closer to their times!

But the mods look very subtle I reckon. Worth every cent as far as handling goes etc. Yes the TNT headers are on order, but I'm waiting for Dave to take his bike down for a special fitting with Jorge because of the soon to be installed swingarm.

TTYS

By Dave on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 05:28 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

according to Fast Bikes the falco is not suited to chappies over 5'10, but is apparently ok for giants  

By Si_242 on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:30 am:  View Si_242's Profile Search for other posts by Si_242 Edit this post

Great pics.
I'm visiting Sydney in Jan....very kind of you to arrange for the fires to be put out.
Do you know of any good bike rental places? I've found the 'bikesource' website but the prices look steep. Also, do you know of any trackdays near Sydney b/n Jan 4 & 14?
Cheers. 

By Exdukenut on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:41 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Si-242, try this website NSW Rentals

As to track days I'll grab the latest M/Cycle News Mag from the newsagent and have a look for you, and post up.

Where are you coming from? 

By Si_242 on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:18 am:  View Si_242's Profile Search for other posts by Si_242 Edit this post

Thanks for the rental site. Plenty to choose from
Look forward to the track day info.

We're flying in from London....bring on de sun!

Wish I could've shipped the Falco but cost ~£600 pounds one way. I did hear of someone taking their RSVR back to NZ for a six month holiday(!) who reckoned they'd make a profit on local resale. Are Aust Falco prices strong?

Can bikes be ridden in NSW with just a rego/tax disc? ie does the rego include third party cover or is a separate insurance policy needed for that?

Cheers. 

By Exdukenut on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 10:33 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Sorry for taking time to get back to you on track days, it just took a few more days to get the mag. Anyway the only day close to the 14th Jan is the 19th at Eastern Creek, or the 13th Jan at Phillip Island (Victoria).

I've never seen a Falco for sale seecondhand, but they haven't been a huge seller here in Australia, and everyone that I've met, who owns one, loves them to death.

As to the 3rd party insurance it is part of the rego.

If you want I might be able to catch up for a beer or three if you have the time and inclination to do so. Just email me, I look at my mail every day, and just need a days notice to be able to get out.  

By Islefalco on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 02:26 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Exdukenut,

I notice the sheepskin seat cover had been discarded for the track day. Is this because it would increase drag, or just because it didn't seem to go well with the Ohlins forks, shock and the fancy wheels?

I have to admit, I have seen carbon fibre and fancy alloys on race bikes, but never even the slightest hint of sheepskin, anywhere. I am sure there is a technical explanation for this omission.  

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:49 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Looks beeee-Yutiful!

I thought you had a Mille swinger on there, too??? 

By Si_242 on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 11:35 am:  View Si_242's Profile Search for other posts by Si_242 Edit this post

ExDN, cheers for the invite, hope to see you in Jan. I'll send you an email when we've settled in.

Enjoy your xmas/ny, with or without sheepskin 

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 02:30 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Isle, thanks for your concern, re the sheepskin. The technical reasons for it not being on are numerous! Too many in fact to bore anyone with here, but surfice to say, as I was going to be hanging off of the seat more than on it for the day, I thought it would be best not to use it!

Racer, I'm waiting for a chain guard from my dealer, as well as for Dave to go down to Jorge and have have the TNT headers fitted for a Mille swingarm which dave has now got on. Tks for the positive, it does look good doesn't it. It handles superbly.

Si242, look forward to a beer if you can make the time! 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation