Newbie.......Tips for tappets

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Newbie.......Tips for tappets
By Si_242 on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:51 pm:  View Si_242's Profile Search for other posts by Si_242 Edit this post

Hi there,
I'm new to the site and am still searching through the good info in old threads, so apologies if these are repeat questions.

I've got a 10,000 mile service coming up and am being quoted £270, ++ more if tappets need work.
What's the story on tappets? Is tappet work a common requirement? Is there any way to check if the work is necessary/done and not a ripoff?

Views also welcome on :
Brake pads - EBC HH versus Ferodo sintered;
BT010 versus BT012ss,
for year round riding + occasional track day laughs.

Cheers  

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 04:14 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Welcome to the board!

First recommendation is to find a dealer you can trust. Beyond that ask them prior to the service to write down the valve clearances for all the valves, at least then if they're going to make something up the have to think about. You might also consider putting a sticker or the like on one of the valve covers, then you can tell if they at least opened it.

I've got EBC HH's in mine, they were awesome when new, although after about 8000 miles I think I need to replace them. You may also want to consider braided lines if you don't already have them, they make a huge difference as well.

As for tires I'm currently running BT012SS and love them Handling and grip compared to the Metzlers, never mind....don't even bother comparing them 

By Adrian on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 05:10 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

Ken's site has info. on the valves as well as a lot of other good info. www.geocities.com/sl_mille
I like the EBC HH pads
I also like my Metzler Sportec M1's  

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 05:18 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Sorry, when I said Metzlers I was referring to the MEZ3's. Haven't tried the Sportecs but from what I've heard they are pretty good.

Also forgot to mention that my valves were still in spec at the 10,000 mile service.  

By Scotty on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 02:37 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Hi,

I ride year round have owner my falco from new (Nov 2000) and currently have 17k miles racked up.
I live in London UK.

Pads... EBC-HH found nothing better in the dry so far when the pads are newish , not so hot in the wet after a few thousand miles.
Under NO circumstances ever fit Carbone Lorraine SBK3 pads when using std brembo disk they are just plain useless.

Tyres.. go with Bridgestone 010 or get Metz Sportec M1.. I've used both.. currently have M1s
Be warned that the falco will dispose of these rears fairly quickly in the centre.. maybe 3000-4000 miles max depending on how you ride.
Some guys on this board use 012s I haven't considered these as Bridestone list them as a fast road/track tyre.... waiting for owners comments on mileage etc Come on Bef... how are they lasting?

Where are you based??? Recommending a dealer is difficult until you let us know..
The prices you've been quoted are std Aprilia Dealer prices i.e. What I've paid..  

By Andyjfalco on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:43 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Hi there
I was lead to believe the valves would be ok, after the first service, up to 15000 miles.
Apart from that, I congratulate you on your fine choice of bike. Is it your first twin? If so watch it comming out of bends on full whack. Slides are fun when you expect them!
010's are very good, however, 012's would be better for fast road/ track days etc.
Andy.

By Si_242 on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:49 pm:  View Si_242's Profile Search for other posts by Si_242 Edit this post

Cheers for the comments and link.

Andy, yep its my first twin, big grins coming out of corners, just wish I was faster through the corner.

Scotty, I'm also in London...ahh the joys of the north circular. 17k sounds like alot of lane filtering. Are your mirrors still attached?

Re dealers I've used, the first one went bankrupt, reckon the second one gave the Falco a Habana service, 3rd time lucky?? 

By Dave on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 04:53 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

There's nothing wrong with the north circular that a total ban on all traffick but bikes and a speed limit of a ton wouldn't put right, or mebee a bike-sized merc/passat/offroader eating snowplow attachment - offroader, wadda fuggin laugh, and Bullbars - has anyone actually seen a bull in london?!? Si_242, you hit a nerve there, I'm about a mile from the 406/A1 intersection

Was the first dealer LAC then? who's the second? Scotty and I've been using Harry Nash in Chiswick but due to the exit of the mechanic in the new year I'll be going down to Renegade in future, who're down by Brands Hatch, not sure if they can stamp your book yet, Jorge? As for tyres I've gone back to 207rr's from 010s, purely because they were cheaper, tho I'll probably be using 012s next year as they've had good reports.

Scotty, hang on to them cl's, I'll get round to it eventually - gotta concentrate on sorting me old XJ9 out for some hard usage... 

By Exdukenut on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 05:29 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Hey Dave, has you had Jorge fit the new headers yet?  

By Falcofra on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 04:32 am:  View Falcofra's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofra Edit this post

Hi Newbie,
the tappets should be OK up to 15000 miles and the rear cylinder can be checked easily by removing the tank/seat (8 bolts) then remove top valve cover (5mm allen key required). The gasket is re-usable. The valve clearances can be measured with a set of feeler guages. Should be 0.005-0.007 inch inlet and 0.009-0.011inch exhaust
(0.125-0.175mm and 0.23-0.28mm)
This must be done when engine is cold.
The front cylinder is much more awkward but if rear is in spech and it's not noisy then I wouldn't worry about it!
If they need adjustment it requires a good mechanic!!
I've tried BT 020's and D207's which are both excellent tyre choices.  

By Dave on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 05:37 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Ex, I've been too busy the last week to make the journey down there - we're on opposite sides of London. I'm going to try and make it down there tomorrow.  

By Befbever on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:57 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Erm...I've had the BT-012's for a couple of thousand km and I must say they make the bike more nervous when doing slow speeds. Once the speed is up, they perform excellent. The front is losing pressure and I can't be arsed to have it checked so I just put air in it every weekend.
The best quality they posses is that they're very confidence-inspiring. Pretty important in wintertime.

Although after today's events this may have gone down a bit (rear wheel locking in 5th and 4th while decelerating and stepping out in 1st and 2nd while taking off due to frozen road surface - probably.  

By Crmc33 on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:40 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

you should know by now that you dont fit your lock whilst the bike is still moving.

/clipart{embarrasingly_bad_joke_alert}  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:12 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Hey, Bef, I'll have to say I have had just the opposite experience on my air pressure. My front holds within 1 psi everytime I check it. It's my rear that is always down a couple. Actually, that may be because of the 10d finish nail in the rear! That's right 1717 miles from Atlanta up to Maryland and back with a nail in my rear tire! It's starting to wiggle around and lose a little more air now, though. I'll get it changed next month.  

By Befbever on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:47 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Best take a hammer and put it back in!  

By Si_242 on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:47 am:  View Si_242's Profile Search for other posts by Si_242 Edit this post

Service done, no worries re tappets, bike's running sweet. Mechanic reckoned only about 1 in 10 need adjusting at the 10k miles service.

Dave, you're spot on. First dealer was LAC, (I see a new dealer has opened up in LAC's old shop, but they admitted their mechanics are not yet fully Aprilia certified), second dealer = your local coffeemotors, third dealer Harry as recommended. Typical huh, most switched on dealer mechanic found so far and he's off in a few weeks. re A406, Hanger Lane to Brent Cross makes a smile, shame bout the tin tops and lights. Are you the black Falco with pannier frames on A1?

BT012ss goin fast in the UK at £169 a pair from Riossi.

Merry Xmas all.  

By Dave on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:55 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Si_242, I'm on a redun(obviously). Your not the antipidean I met outside LAC when they were still going? with red falco, soft aprilia luggage and other half?

re the 406. Few weeks ago I was going south, and had an R6 pass me and carry on swooping untidily thru the traffick. Approaching the elevated section going over Brent cross area, I was just thinking how calm I was letting him go without teaching him a 'smooth progress' lesson, when I clocked the blue light behind me. I pulled over and they shot past me and after the 'open bomber jacketed and trainered' R6 rider. 'Thank fek I'm on an old dog of an XJ9 and not the Falco' I thought as the R6 and the jam sandwidge pulled over  

By Befbever on Friday, December 27, 2002 - 11:42 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

'Thank fek I'm on an old dog of an XJ9

did you miswrite or did I misread?
'Thank fek I'm an old dog on an XJ9........

By Dave on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 11:18 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Bef - your pissed again!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation