Cans, modifications and insurance

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Cans, modifications and insurance
By Redlionfalco on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:30 am:  View Redlionfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redlionfalco Edit this post

Can anyone give me a take on how UK insurance companies load insurance policies when you declare such things as cans, chips, airboxes, shocks etc.
If you declare cans, for instance, does it mean that they are then covered for damage in the course of an accident? Then again I guess most aftermarket cans are actually less costly than the originals. Also could a bona fide claim be jeopardised due to undeclared cans, for instance. I know technically that this could be the case, but in practise is this likely to be a position adopted by the insurer.
I for instance have invested in a rear Ohlins, how would I fair if my bike was stolen. Would I be able to claim for the Ohlins if it was previously declared?  

By Andyjfalco on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:33 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Cost me £40 for the pipes with H&R. You can't see chips or airkits soooo......
As far as the Ohlins gos, I think it's the same as any other insurance, you can add a specific item to a policy for a small??? charge.

By Dave on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 04:25 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Best phone your broker, they will tell you where you stand if thier any good, and offer up alternatives - mine did. If your broker sounds like he doesn't give a shit/has a clue about bike issues, I use Mitchell & Partners, some of the blokes there are pretty clued up on bike issues and are v. bike friendly, give em a phone for a 2nd opinion...

I'm about to change policy, get all me new bits covered at no extra charge  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation