New wheels, swing arm, tyres, exhausts - lots of fun!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: New wheels, swing arm, tyres, exhausts - lots of fun!
By Molan on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:48 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Finally got round to getting someone to fit my nice new Oz Wheels with discs & pads, RSV swing arm, a new pair of wet weather tyres (Pirelli GTS), Renegade carbon cans and a K&N filter.

All work done by the wonderful chaps at PDQ in Taplow - they have some wonderful "toys" on display there if anyone fancies a trip out & isn't sure where to go! Larry was my main contact & he was really helpful, didn't try to sell me anything but was sensible in telling me what would & wouldn't make a difference. Mind you, he wasn't sure about the swing arm but I just had to have one as I think they look so cool!

It's early days yet & the tyres haven't really worn in yet but everything is feeling very nice indeed thank you!

Not sure what is making the most difference but handling feels more "sorted" & turn-in is much sharper. Great for flick-flacking between cars on the motorway (but then I knew it would be!) but also much friendlier around town.

Simple stuff like slow speed 1st gear cornering also feels much more accurate & flexible. Seems to make the bike feel much smaller & lighter.

Can't really feel how much difference the cans & air filter are making yet though. I had a pair of ART stainless cans on before & I'd say the Rene's are a little quieter & with a deeper growl.

Had the bike dyno'd at the same time & was amazed to see just how much the power dips at 5,000. Looked at options for a Power commander to help sort this out but wasn't convinced that the £300 or so would be worth it.

Also tempted by braided hoses but kinda ran out of cash - anyway if I did everything at once then I wouldn't have anything else to lust after

Brakes are feeling very lacking in feel with the new discs & pads but the front stoppers certainly seemed to pull me up pretty fast when I gave them a blast. Rear seems to have almost disappeared though.

Might report back when I've had more time to get used to the mods.... 

By Exdukenut on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:32 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

So where are the pics?

By Molan on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:46 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Damn - knew I should have taken some pics whilst the bike was at my girlfriend's - she has a digital camera

Will be back at the weekend so will try to get some done then....  

By Molan on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 03:46 pm:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Rain (almost sleet) stopped play I'm afraid. Too dark for pics today

Not bad enough to keep me off the road though - racked up about 60 miles or so but not too much zapping between cars today  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation