I need your help...warranty chaos!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: I need your help...warranty chaos!
By Zazutata on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:07 pm:  View Zazutata's Profile Search for other posts by Zazutata Edit this post

OK, here goes and I'll keep it brief. Falco, 10 months old, just used as a weekend/holiday bike (trusty XTZ trailie used as commuter), less than 3000 miles and the disks warp. Front pads still original. Contact supplying dealer (On Yer Bike) who take over TWO MONTHS to get a reply from Aprilia who promptly turn down the claim. Now, I seem to remember some people on this site got disks replaced under warranty. So, should I -

1. - Ring Aprilia and take it up with them myself (quite happy to do this as have close friend who is big-shot judge - can't name him!)?

2. - Try another dealer (and maybe wait ages for same response)?

3. - Just give up and put some new disks on and feel miserable and cheated by those bloody Italians

If people felt inclined to let me know if they've successfully got disks replaced under warranty that would add some ammo to my argument (I won't mention names just numbers).

Anyway, all tips welcome. If I win I'll give away my (unused) GSG Moko Falco crash protectors to the highest bidder who can then donate the sum to their favourite charity. How's about that then boys and girls... 

By Falco9 on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:32 pm:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

When I test rode my Falco,(August 2002) I noted severe brake judder, returned to dealer who promptly sent out the mechanic for a test ride, he returned and agreed that both discs were badly warped at 4,700 miles.
Both discs were replaced under warranty prior to me collecting the bike (dealer is Robinsons of Rochdale)Every other thread is about the crap Brembo discs that Aprilia fit, and ALL appear to be replaced under warranty, I try your legal friend. Aprilia could do with a good kick up the arse.  

By Bonerp on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:17 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

Do what I did, go to ApriliaTester.com and set a message to Aprilia. It (hopefully) got my fairing problem sorted even though MCity would never have sorted it!

On my RSV (NOW have a Falco) my discs warped within 3000m and I got them replaced no problem.

Aprilia MUST be aware of the issue cos loadsa people have the problem/have had them replaced.

Alternatively bite the bullet and buy a decent pair! Cos your new discs will more than likely go to!
Paul  

By Bonerp on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:19 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

By the way in case I had problems I carried out a request for people to let me know if they had the same problems and around 14 people came to me quickly about warpies!  

By Daz on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 01:02 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

I would guess that OYB never got round to contacting Aprilia and are hoping that you will go away and give them a more peaceful life.

If so, tossers! If not, nah... don't believe Aprilia would not agree to having them replaced.

Er, this is all allegedly btw! Mike don't stand for it mate, sort them out!

Daz

Daz  

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:52 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I'm on my second set of warranty discs.
If you have a great dealer and you want to ride the Falco for some years, you should get them replaced under warranty.
But since your dealer can't or won't replace them, I'd get my own replacement discs (Brembo, EBC, PFM, etc. full floaters) and take my business elsewhere. 

By Zazutata on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 01:32 pm:  View Zazutata's Profile Search for other posts by Zazutata Edit this post

As ever, thanks for the tips guys. Sorry I haven't been very active with posting but life has been hectic with the family and our third little one expected any day now!. Anyway, I'll let you know the result. (Of the disc issue of course!). If I find that OYB never took my claim up then they will get a bollocking. Meanwhile, I actually spoke to a very nice bloke at Aprilia Customer services today who is (allegedly) going to look into all this and get back to me. Guardi questo spazio as they say! 

By Bonerp on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:14 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

I was told something similar....still waiting for a reply......  

By Charlie on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 05:42 am:  View Charlie's Profile Search for other posts by Charlie Edit this post

25,000 miles original discs

'ave I dun somethin' wrong?  

By Crmc33 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 05:53 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Charlie,
You must have got a set of discs that fell through the Aprilia 'quality net' and were manufactured correctly 

By Scotty on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 06:15 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Similarly but not quite as much as Charlie... 17000 miles on originals did I also do something wrong other than dump the original Brembo pads at 4000 miles?  

By Crmc33 on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 06:49 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

60000miles and still on the original brakes.

I removed them after the first 20 miles and converted the Falco to bicycle brake blocks

Jo King 

By Scotty on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:02 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Crmc33... the guys in the White coats are on their way as we speak! 

By Zazutata on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:03 am:  View Zazutata's Profile Search for other posts by Zazutata Edit this post

Update...lots of tarting around with phone calls here there and everywhere. Have now got the main man over here in the UK looking into it under threat of taking Aprilia to the County Court if things don't go my way. I am fed up of being Mr Nice Guy so I have my Nasty Hat on now

Will keep you all posted. Thank god the baby hasn't arrived or I'd only have half the energy for all this!

See you! 

By Gus8 on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 01:23 pm:  View Gus8's Profile Search for other posts by Gus8 Edit this post

But on yer bike are the uk`s no 1 dealer according to mcn , so they must be right. No my mistake,they are tossers,and mcn must be too. nothing to do with all the test bikes emap borrow from oyb.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation