Calling Exdukie

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Calling Exdukie
By Befbever on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:16 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ex, how about those Brembo rotors you have? How many km have you done with 'em so far, how do they hold up in the rain, and how long before they warp?  

By Exdukenut on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 01:56 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Bef, I've done some 8000kms so far and they are still perfect. In the rain they are the best things since "sliced bread". Simply awesome when needed, in all riding conditions, track, tootling, scratching, touring, etc.

You are joking aren't you, about asking if they've warped! They've got at least another 100,000kms at the rate I use them. The pads will probably last another 20,000kms. Thank's Aprilia for wonderful engine braking!

The key to these v-twins is smoothness, in your riding. You should know that!

P.S. the rotors come with pads, by the way.

Take care & TTYS. 

By Befbever on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:38 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Thanks, mate, much appreciated.

I actually looked up the threads about different rotors and asked around for some experiences.
About PFM, one knowledgable person said:

Quote:

On the brake front, I was talking to the guy from PFM and he reckons if you warp stainless discs then cast iron is the way to go. He was telling me that you don't want race spec cast iron for the road though - they are too porous and soak up water in the rain. The discs have to dry the water out before they brake at their best. He recommended using non-race spec cast iron

It would appear, from EBC's site, that cast-iron rotors have a tendency to crack. The EBC Pro-lite's have been quoted by another one to be very good.

I've become very hesitant about Brembo to be honest. The Mille I rode this weekend only had 6k km and his discs were warped. These are other Brembo rotors from our OE ones and still the problem persists.
As we know, this has little to do with how you use them. The owner of that bike doesn't ride in the wet if he can help it and his bike is always spotless.
As far as abusing the rotors is concerned, I use the brakes far less than I did on the T-Cat, because of the engine brake and smoother riding.

The Mille has different calipers from ours, one pad per piston. The reponse was very direct but how they perform in the wet I don't know.

The best brakes I ever had was on the Thundercat. You'd think a reputable brand like Brembo could surely whip up something that's comparable.
But judging by what I read from the radial calipers on the new RSV-R and the Kwack ZX6-R, Japan still has the jump on Italy.

I think the cast-iron Brembo's look the bee's knees, but I'm going to shop around and see about warranty and prices from the other ones as well.

One thing's for sure, the Mille will get the 'Exdukenut treatment' before I take it to the road.

See? I've learned something!

By Dave on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:09 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

I've about 15k miles on the pfm's, all weather, very hard on brakes (4 trackdays) and thier still perfect. In the wet, the bendix pads take a long time to bite(so occasional squeezes to clear the water, re earlier email, I know that winds up drivers behind me so its only a quick squeez, just enough to feel it begin to bite - and anyway, do I really care about winding up the fekers behind me, I've just had to undertake them on the motorway, in the pissing rain, and thier doing 75 in the fast lane with nothing inside them - do I REALLY care???), but are also good once they start biting, just as Ex's Brembos. I remember the carbon lorrains didn't take as long to clear the water so they're going back on.

Just my 2p's worth...  

By Befbever on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 07:33 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Yes, it does show you don't have a c*r license.
J/K, Dave! I'm with you! Ta for the comments.
Not good news for the PFM's actually. I like my brakes to bite at once, especially in the rain.  

By Exdukenut on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 03:12 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I've got the same rotors (cast iron Brembos) on my duke, and have had them for coming on 8 years. Without fault/problem, although after a ride in the wet they have the usual rust surfacing, ala like the bevel drive dukes that you have ridden previously, Bef.

They really are great, in all weather. I don't think they are the race cast iron as mentioned somewhere above, but I'm not sure here.

I'm sure that any rotors be they PFM, Braking, Brembo Cast etc are better in all conditions thatn the std stainless OEM ones. Jap stainless ones, are also shite by the way in the wet!

Good luck on your decision for a new bike Bef, and yes I agree, whatever you choose, "Exdukeit", ie make a good bike, an even better one, with the right options, just take all your good bits from the Falco, and put them on the new one.

P.S. I've just found some OZ RSVR wheels on Ebay here in Australia, which I've just bid on. Looking good for a Falco "Tuono-R" if I win the auction. Just couldn't help myself!

TTYS

By Cplus on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:03 pm:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Another alternative might be Braking's wave rotors. I guy I know has 15k miles on a set, on a hard-ridden ZX-12R, and he's a happy camper. I hear they're a little sensitive to pad compound, but they work well and they don't warp. Just something else to think about.  

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:56 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Thanks, Exdukie. But for the record, my T-Cat's brakes were awesome in both dry and wet.
I'd actually like to try out some different brands to make sure. I feel a trip to the dealer coming on!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation