I've tested a Mille! Looooooooooooong!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: I've tested a Mille! Looooooooooooong!
By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 04:58 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Right, I did it. I rode an '01 Mille today. The bike was bone stock so I reckoned it would be dick slow.

It was!

As per some people on the board, I was kinda expecting the thing to behave even more civilised than my Falco when it came to cornering, but I was dissappointed that it did so much worse.
To anyone who hasn't ridden my bike it may have, but as it turned out, it didn't for me.
Here's the verdict:

The seating position, I liked very much. It's higher than the Falco, which doesn't bother me. The pegs are cerrated now so the grip is very good. I wouldn't change them as I have now.
The dash and handlebars are closer to me than on the Falco. I like that very much as well. It's something that has always bothered me on the Falco since I'm only a small bastard.
The handlebars are closer to each-other as well, which I found equally pleasing.

But now for the negative parts:
The steering damper would have to go immediately! The bike doesn't need it and it hampered me in my riding.
The front suspension was way too hard. No comfort and bouncing up and down. All settings were as stock ie with virtually no preload. Mine's a lot better. A day and night difference.
The rear was too hard as well. I didn't have the time to go meddling around with it so that may be down to setting up the OE shock.

The engine was nowhere near as smooth as mine and as for power: pah! My bike's a lot, I mean A LOT, I mean A LOT faster no matter what revs you're doing.

I hit the brakes at 200 kph or so and the front end judder reminded me that I'd never buy an Aprilia with stock Brembo rotors ever again!
The owner had noticed something before, only for me to confirm that with 6k km on the clock, it was already time to put in a warranty claim for the discs. F*cking unbelievable!

I checked the Vmax after the ride only to find it was me who set it.
And I was on my best behaviour!

The gearbox was smooth, very direct. But if it were my bike, I'd either have to get the R linkage to change the pattern or put in a Falco gear selection drum.

Wind protection was very good. Not as good as the Falco, but for this kind of bike unsurpassed I assume.

Well, after the ride, I let the Millenaut have another go on my bike. He had rode it before the Renegade treatment and it was about time I let him feel the difference.
He came back, stating that my bike was soooo much smoother than his and my dash says 40k km! He also agreed my forks worked so much better than his. He liked the sound as well.

I showed him the airkit, elaborated more about various options for exhausts, in short, did the whole sales pitch. Again.
I also mentioned that the RSV is 11k � now and the RSV-R is 13k �. He had this look on his face after I told him:

Ah well, looks like I may be trading in the Falco for an RSV after all. Maybe even an R as it would seems that the yellow ones are anly R's. And I hate every other colour it comes in. That's the difference in design between the Falco and the RSV: the Falco looks gorgeous no matter what colour!

I'd get cast iron discs from the start as well. That's a promise!
And this time a full system. Using my cans and of course the airkit. I'm not selling any of that, FYI.
All the Technoflex stuff would be used on the RSV as well. Except, if the R has progressive springs, maybe not the springs. Why I wouldn't use the OE Öhlins on an R? It's not got a spring that suits my needs and I'm quite sure the Technoflex is just as good. If not better.

That's it! Let the flaming commence!

Oh btw, the Falco will be for sale from the end of February. I'm asking 5500 Euro for it. 

By Dave on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:34 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

WooHoo - Beffy's made his mind up!

NICE, tho somewhat predictable comparison! I'm sure you'll have the mille breathin like it should do! I wonder how a mille would look in Falco Red?

And don't even think about it - its gotta be the R - you said so yourself

Still a pity Aprilia don't seem to be further developing the falco  

By Crmc33 on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:38 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

no SV test planned then? 

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:41 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Bloody hell, Falco red indeed! I was wondering about the very same thing! Great minds think alike eh?

I'm still not convinced about the R. 2k � is a lot of money. I could spend less on cast-iron rotors and a full system. Dunno, Dave.....

Dave, a hint: weekend of Nov 31st: Supermotard in Spa-Franchorchamps! I'll be there. Will you?  

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:46 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

No, no SV test planned. The SV will only be available from Feb or March which is too late and I don't buy bikes I haven't ridden. Their loss I'm sure! 

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:55 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Oops, forgot one thing: the indicator switch is now so low you hit the horn the first time. But that only happened once. Your brain adapts quickly.

Didn't miss any gears either with the 'normal' pattern.  

By Dave on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:58 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Mmmm - tempting - though it probly meens I'd end up on one

Go for the R, the wheels alone justify the extra, ie Aprilia Marks are now flogging them for £1150 + vat == Urow 2000! Flog the ohlins and you've got just about enough for the full system! And if you really want the technoflex front setup like you have at the mo, I suppose I could just about be talked into doing a trade

btw, I hope you realise how happy you've just made the Venjer - he's going to be insufferable now - DohNuts!  

By Dave on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 07:05 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

oh - thought you said mini summat else!

There may be something else on on that weekend in Blighty, may come down to weather. Spa-Franchorchamps must also be a couple of hours or so from Callais, direct?

Is this one of them days where track-dayers can get on between races?  

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 07:11 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

The wheels alone justify the extra? If Mr_Venjer can't keep up with Falco's despite those wheels and Öhlins bits, how are you going to sell them to me?
I mean I never felt I needed them, so why ould I do so now?
Naah, those forks on the other hand, along with the colour of the R, could maybe persuade me. But don't hold your breath.

I'd flog the Öhlins rear shock, sure. Any takers?  

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 07:13 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Yeah, Spa is only about 4 hours from Calais.
No-no-no! There's no possibility for track-dayers, you hooligan!  

By Dave on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 07:30 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

- just trying to entice the K-man

re the wheels, the OZ's make such a difference to the look of the falco that I just couldn't consider a 'prila without em! (On a simmilar note, how do you bunch put up with that std rear end, its buttU! ) 

By Geo on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 08:07 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

A Mille, HU?....so '02 or '03?  

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 10:51 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

The promotion prices are for the '02, so...
But I'm hoping to find a non-Batman tail section asap.  

By Falcorob on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 12:47 pm:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

I'd love the shock Bef but a bellypan and some cans have just eaten this years budget. Plus there is a small matter of Xmas with a wife and 3 kids to buy for looming on the horizon. Bugger.

Rob.  

By Falcorob on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 12:52 pm:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

By the way, good choice on the mille regardless of which you go for. Top bike. Just a bit too extreme for my particular style. I wouldn't be able to do it justice. Bugger again.

Which is the best track for a complete virgin to break his duck and go for it? Must have a go at this track day malarkey next year.

Rob.  

By Benw on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:27 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Mr Rob,

Try Cadwell, beautful scenery and great tarmac. Worth a £100 of anybody's money.

B  

By Crmc33 on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:52 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Benw is right Cadwell is good, also Oulton Park.

Both are fantastic as long as its not snowing. I actually raced in snow at Cadwell a few years back. Surefire proof of my madness. I won

Bef, interested to hear that you dont like the bat lights. IMHO they are sorely missed on the 03 bike. The 03 bike looks somehow naked without them. 

By Powermaster on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:57 pm:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

I feel sick How could he? It's ning, I refuse to accept, Mr Venjer and I are buying a Falco
Just imagining that the Mille board won't be as peacefull anymore

By Crmc33 on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 02:10 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

So when is the 999 test Bef? What do you mean never? 

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 11:54 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Never say never eh?
Proof of your madness indeed! It all becomes clear now.

Powermaster, truth be told, a Falco would be the perfect bike for Mr_Venjer's lenghty frame. If he can handle the power.
Mille board? You'd wish! I feel right at home here with those intelligent Falconeers. They have great taste!

I seem to be among the very few who don't like the batlights on the Mille. I think they're going to miss out on some sales cos all the Millenauts are crazy about them. Infantile buggers.

The bike had a working temp of 78° C. That's 10° more than my bike! When following some cages for 100 meters or so, the temperature swiftly rose to 85°C! Bike running lean?

By Befbever on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:07 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Falcorob, I don't think the Mille's extreme at all. For a person with the ideal height for biking such as myself , the Mille's better than the Falco. Sure, it sits quite high but that shouldn't bother anyone. There's tricks for that.
The handlebars have the same inclination as the Falco -ie too steep - but they're closer to you so if you put on clip-ons with a better angle it should be perfect. Quite comparable to a Duck 998 I'd say.

The Falco was the perfect choice at the time. More of a sleeper and better looking IMHO. And the likes of Mr_Venjer can testify it does the business. The Mille was more expensive and in 1999, uglier than it is now.
IMHO.

I don't have any budget myself if that offers any comfort. Xmas and all that also applies in Belgium.
Nothing's decided yet though. If there's a better bike out there, I may change my mind.
That's my feminine side again.  

By Benw on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:15 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Beffer!

Going to the RSV side then? Mmmm... I might have my work cut out next time we battle then! A tricked up RSV(R) with a Beffen aboard will go like the wind.

I've ridden several RSV and RSVRs - they're great bikes but not quite right for me. There's still only one bike I'd replace the Falco with and that's the R1150GS!!

When do you have to make the decision?

B 

By Befbever on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:54 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ben! You up already too?

I'll wait for the Bologna show next week I think. If I can still buy an RSV for � 11k at the Salon in January, I think the purchase will be finalized there.
But if I have to fork out the full price, I don't think I'll buy an RSV! They're not worth the extra IMHO.

Let's not go nuts, shall we? Even if I were on Rossi's RCV and you were on your Falco, you'd still whoop my arse!
I'd fly past you down the straights tho!  

By Falcorob on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 05:45 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Ben and Crmc

Cheers.

Oulton is about 9 miles from here so that's a possibility. Cadwell, I've never been there but at £100 plus a ride out and probable overnight, with a few beers of course 'cos that's the law, it sounds really good. What are they like about race cans though 'cos Oulton are getting really strict! Would I need to put the standard cans back on?

Rob  

By Crmc33 on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:11 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

NO problems with race cans for me at Cadwell this year 

By Hansie on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 02:02 pm:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

He's done it!
The RSV is probably the best choice after the Falco The 02 model is the best looking one , we all know! Except me , I like the shiny black 2000 (R) model more.The R's are looking a bit better but not 2k euro I think .Maybe you get youre 2k back after 3 years?

I adjusted the angle of my clipons last week , more straight.Had to loose one bolt per side, its only clamped now arround the forks. No probs with heavy braking or someting.

Good luck Bef with youre diffecult winter!

Hansie 

By Magic on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 03:12 pm:  View Magic's Profile Search for other posts by Magic Edit this post

Rob I know we've not met yet, but want to do trackday next year, maybe arrange for the same time if interested, show 'em what a falco can do
Have been speaking to a guy recently who has just done a day at Oulton and said it was superb, really recommended it. 

By Dave on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 06:26 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Hey, good to see more interest in trackdays

Thought I'd offer up my opinion of Cadwell as a relative novice - 4 trackdays over last 2 summers.

Cadwell was my second trackday after Rockingham, and was more intimidating due to off camber and blind bends, tho thats not a problem once you've learned the track a bit. And the goose neck is the perfect example of why you should learn the track before going for it - a double apex right hander, thru which if you don't take a wide enough line to the left, you run out of track after the second apex! And falcos are not built for grasstracking By comparison Rockingham is flat, so you can see everything as it approaches.

I'm speaking as one who does most riding in London tho so if your good on the twisties up there then I reckon Cadwell will be a blast!

As for race cans, never had a problem with my Rene's. All mine have been with these nice people 

By Befbever on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:21 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Dave,
didn't you see the off-camber righthander at Rockingham? The one with all the bumps? Lovely corner that is. Scared the shit out of some people in the fast group I could tell!
I can only imagine what it must have looked like for the 'lesser' groups. No offense!

Hansie, coudn't agree more about the 2k. But I haven't done the deal yet. Something else may crop up and I haven't ridden the R yet.

I suppose you mean you've taken out the small bolt at the bottom of the top yoke to point the handlebars further outward. I've filed out the hole from day one in order to do that.
The Mille riding position agrees with me a lot more than the Falco's. But you wouldn't be comfortable on a Mille with your posture.
Not that that's an issue, we both prefer the looks of the Falco anyway.

P.S. Hansie's big for his age.  

By Hansie on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:54 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

The 02 Mille aint that bad for fully grown human people , only the knees wont fit nice to the tank.The 2000 model was much better for me!

Filed out?Also an idea. but I lowered them aprox 1cm , gonna try lower if the wether approves (next year?)Reach is offcourse no problem!

hansie  

By Befbever on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 03:01 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

If next year I do have a Mille, you can have the Mille's handlebars if you want. I'm throwing on some with a better angle anyway.

By Dave on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:27 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

No worries! I think I know the bend your talking about Bef, a double apex? I was having trouble convincing some of the other novices that there were any bumps there at all! I guess you only noticed the bumps when on the right line doing speed.

But there was nothing as severe at Rockingham as at Cadwell - maybe you need to get up to Cadwell to find out what propper 'off-camber' means?  

By Mr_Venjer on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:47 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Benw, Cadwell for a first time trackday ? Are you sure ! I was fightened senseless by it. I would not go there as a first trackday, too many corners and hills and you can't see where the track goes. I did it as a third trackday and my confidence was fairly high. I loved it and want to do it again but for a first timer, I dunno.

Bef, I believe you will be making a great choice. Regarding the R or not - if you don't think the wheels will make much of a difference get the standard RSV and work your Beffy magic on it. I cannot believe after you put your bits on it that you would still think the Falco was better. IMO.

For me the R feels better in stock than the RSV, I don't know how to tweak the suspension but the out of the box setup is better on the R for me. I like it being stiffer - so do the girls - ooer.

Regarding an outing to Europe, I am up for it but not when its cold. Frozen nads is no fun, especially for someone who's nads are big - like mine.

Dave, I am still up for a trackday, I just can't make Silverstone this weekend. Next weekend I have a big office move. The 2 weekends after I can do. If we go up norf I am not riding. Anyone want to go halves on renting a van ?

Mr "not gloating because Bef wants a RSV" Venjer.  

By Dave on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:53 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Kevin, your restraint is beond belief!  

By Dave on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 07:01 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

My origional shock's going back on this week so trackdays are out till I get the Technoflex back - hopfully in a couple of weeks.

As for the van, I'm up for that but don't have a c*r license! I take it your thinking of loading the van the night before and making an early start in the morning?  

By Befbever on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 07:18 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Gee, Dave, let me think about this....
You say you and the other novices hardly noticed the corner had any bumps in it? And being off-camber?

The mind boggles...
and you then have the audacity to tell me I need to go to Cadwell? I'll take you up on that you know. Not when it snows tho. Next year!

I take it Mr_Big_Nads_Likes_It_Stiff will be there too. I'll sign him up in the fast group myself!

Kevin, yet again the mind boggles to hear you don't know how to tweak the suspension yet the R does the bizz.
That can mean that either you've got big cahoonas and can ride around any problems....

and have never ridden a Falco
or
that the R is solid, straight out of the crate.

And that you have big cahoonas anyway, totally unrelated to your riding.

Thanks for not gloating btw. I must be the only person in the world buying a Mille not because he wants to but because he has to.
Apart from Mr.BrianR that is.  

By Racerxlilbro on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 08:52 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Bef, say it ain't so!

TRAITOR!

Okay, okay...I think the RSV's are REALLY cool. Just not as cool as a Falco! LOL!

Cheers!

Brad 

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 09:02 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I totally agree! But don't tell Powermaster.
I don't think he can hear us.

Hello?

By Dave on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 09:18 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

No Bef, I didn't -

Quote:

I was having trouble convincing some of the other novices that there were any bumps there at all!

Hey, Samson only lost his strength when they cut off his hair, you going to loose your marbles when you loose the falco?  

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:54 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

"Come out here so I can cut off your marbles...if you have any marbles! Thou eunic jelly, thou!"

Wow, where did that come from! 

By Dave on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:58 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

- worng warbles dude

getyer translater oot man  

By Myapriliarsv on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:21 pm:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

By Befbever on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:29 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hi Jim! Big smile, have you?

haven't decided YET you know... 

By Befbever on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:31 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I lost my marbles when I lost my hair, does that count?  

By Cplus on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:44 am:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Bef,

I've ridden a RSV also and agree that they're damn nice bikes, especially if most of your riding is more, ah, spirited. If it were my dosh (and it ain't), I'd plunk down for the RSV-R. But, really, I'd be even more tempted to wait until next year when the '04 is released.

Yummy.  

By Dave on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:05 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

and check this lanky geezer from the same site - I wouldn't mind a 'test' on his bike tho don't think I could do it justice  

By Powermaster on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:41 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Quote:

is more, ah, spirited

It's called ageing  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:21 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

You know one of the first signs of ageing is losing your hair? Ask Bef!

...why do you think he bought the hairkit? 

By Befbever on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:16 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Why thank you, Powermaster. Finally you admit the RSV's an old fart's bike.

Oi! The hairkit doesn't help at all! Hair gets sucked in so I'm ageing more rapidly.
Must get that RSV
before  

By Befbever on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:41 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

On the bright side, at least I can keep my cap.
EEEK!!! 

By Dave on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:57 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

"Huggs, the incredibly large MayoMonster, demonstrates new stroker dreams of pocket sized rsv"

guffaw guffaw guffaw said the crowd  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation