High Beams

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: High Beams
By Thumpermanuk on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:02 pm:  View Thumpermanuk's Profile Search for other posts by Thumpermanuk Edit this post

While tinkering around the other day I happend to notice that when the lights are swiched to high beam the dipped head light goes out. Does any one know if this is supposed to happen or has an element blown on the main head light?

Thanks in advance  

By Andyjfalco on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:50 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Not 100% but I think the dipped light is supposed to go out except when using the flasher (oo,er)
Andy.

By Hammertime on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:12 pm:  View Hammertime's Profile Search for other posts by Hammertime Edit this post

That's how it works on my RSV. The dipped light goes out when you switch to main beam. However, If you're on dipped beam and use the 'pass/lap' button then all three beams illuminate.

Your bike sounds okay to me.  

By Adrian on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:50 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

Check the past threads, somebody rigged it so all three lights would stay on....if you want them to.
regards  

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:20 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

www.apriliaforum.com, and the Futura threads or Tech tips have the wherefor's of doing all lights at the same time.  

By Dave on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:07 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

As Daz will know, fazer 6 owners(of the old model) rig both dipped and full to come on on dipped beem, if you see one with both on then its been done. This to make up for the Lack of a decent headlamp - imo its a bit excessive on the Falco.

On the subject(for a change!) of lights, anyone tried them blue bulb thingies, do they make a difference?  

By Scotty on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:22 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Thumper.. you describe perfectly normal operation!

The lights are one of the truely superb things about the Falco... they are light years ahead of any other bike I have owned...
Full Beam at night on an unlit road gives me almost as good a view as any c*r I've owned (c*r ownership from my previous non london dwelling driving days), dip beam is pretty good by itself.

Excuse my ignorance but why would you want to have the dip bulb on at the same time as the headlights... we are definately not lacking light from the 4 bulbs in the two headlights!

By Tinkytot on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:16 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Well said scotty, my thoughts exactly. The lights are brill.  

By Hansie on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:59 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

I use a safety headlights unit at the moment.
Its a very simpel switchunit , when lowbeam is on the highbeam is on too on 25%.
Advantage is that youre better visible , more light on the street in lowbeam , roadsigns are very visible and youre not blinding other drivers. High beam is normal.
more on safety lights

Hansie 

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:08 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Dave, I've got the blue thingies you refer too Yeah, they do make a difference! They are a little bit brighter but the real difference is in the color of the light, they're a really bright white almost like HID headlights on a c*r. Makes it much easier to see and be seen.

One thing I've noticed though is that they burn out quite frequently. Anybody else have this problem with normal headlights? Since putting them in at about 1000 miles (I now have almost 11,000) I've replaced both high beams. Not sure if this is normal, I got more then 100,000 from the halogens in my c*r. I'm very careful not to touch the element when putting the bulb in, so that's not it. Could it be caused by the vibration?
Evoluzione Headlights 

By Scotty on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:17 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Nice Idea hansie... the website only has their other product translated into english... but I can kinda guess what they're talking about.
To be honest I'll keep the wiring on the bike as std as possible...

TwoWheels78... The dip beam on my falco blew after about 14k miles... difference being that all virtually all 14k was done with this bulb on.... as I always ride with dip lights on..
Headlight bulbs are O.E. as supplied new now on about 17K miles..  

By Scotty on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:19 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

DOUBLE POST... somehow... sorry! 

By Andyjfalco on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:00 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

I have fitted Phillips ice blue bulbs to my Falco. Right bastard to fit too! Honestly, they are no different to the originals, not from a riding point of view. They might look blue from a distance, cool if you like that sort of thing, cheezy if you don't.
Do any of you know where I could get the yellow all seasons bulbs ? H7 obviously, I can't find any. These are, IMHO, the only bulbs that car drivers are likley to notice.
Andy.
We are the self presivation society"We are the self presivation society 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation