Flat spot problems

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Flat spot problems
By Jfalco on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:11 am:  View Jfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jfalco Edit this post

My Falco's got about 12500 miles and I love it. Ride it all year round as my only form of transport. Recently I got a new chain (probably nothing to do with it), but since I got it back the flat spot at 5000rpm has turned into a chasm from 4000rpm to 5500rpm. I noticed it so much that I did some experimenting in neutral and I can't get the revs to stablise between about 4100 and 4800. It goes to where you put it, settles for a moment then either increases to about 5200 or drops to 4000. It is very marked, and noticeable when riding as well. It appears to be using quite a bit of oil as well. I don't ride like a nutter most of the time because my commute is mainly over single track muddy roads and I haven't been thrashing it. Has anyone got any ideas? The warranty's up but I think the engine should do more than 12000 miles. The bike's stock by the way.  

By Befbever on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:16 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Oh I've got a few:
hairkit,
TNT system,
Weight Watchers...

It's Renegade, that's the name.
That name again, it's Renegade.

By Hydropnik on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:31 am:  View Hydropnik's Profile Search for other posts by Hydropnik Edit this post

Sounds strange....maybe the shop swapped your engine with one from a Mille......

By Dave on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:03 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

What do you mean by "since you got it back", did a dealer put the chain on and did they do anything else?

In stock form there Is a hole, which you describe perfectly. Sounds like your saying its got worse?

As Bef pointed out, ve haf ze vays ant ze means...  

By Jfalco on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:21 pm:  View Jfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jfalco Edit this post

I DID eat quite a lot that weekend Bef. Maybe that is the problem. However, the dealer didn't do anything else to the bike. My main worry is that the revs will not stop in 4200 to 4800 and they would before. As I said, it's probably nothing to do with the chain. I'm more worried about the fact that the engine has developed a second flat spot adjacent to the first and when driving through it I do not get the constant(ish)accelleration that I used to. It actually feels like it slows down momentarily a number of times during this rev range as I speed up. If I set up to go constant speed, it is unpredictably rough and jerky. It feels not unlike the time I ran out of petrol on my old bike. Not a misfire, but not the expected ammount of power comming from the engine. Just try putting your bike in neutral and holding the revs between 42 and 48. Mine won't do it. If its running in this range I think that the momentum of the bike stops it accellerating or decellerating because it isn't a very strong impulse, but it tries and therefore feels rough. 

By Geo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:28 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I would try a different chip first.  

By Adrian on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 09:08 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

My bike had the same symtom (but yours might be from a different cause). Anyway a few months ago my bike would not maintain a constant rev. and just died while driving one day. Turns out it was an intermittant short in the main cable to the battery. I think the part was only about 30$ and it was replaced under warranty. Oh, also the bike was doing it for about a week or two before it crapped out.
regards  

By Powermaster on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:30 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

JFalco, if you are not too far, pop in and let me have a look at her  

By Jfalco on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 02:46 pm:  View Jfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jfalco Edit this post

I'm just east of Bath, so not too close. The problem has become intermittent so I don't know if that's better or worse. I think it could be the rain. I think that something got wet. I hope so because that's quite cheap to deal with. Cheers for the help.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 07:12 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Jfalco,

you should fit the hairkit then the problem will not be intermittent, it will misfire everytime it rains Only yoking Jorge!

Befs Ignition hairticle 

By Molan on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 07:02 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

I've recently had some work done at PDQ http://www.pdq1.com/ 01628 667644. They seem really nice people & definitely know their stuff as far as tuning goes. Haven't worked on that many Falco's but seem to know their Aprilia V-Twins OK.

They recommended a Power Commander chip but I couldn't justify the price - circa £300 as I've just had loads of other stuff done.

By my reckoning Bath (is that where you are?) is about 100 miles away so it should only take you about 45 mins if you keep the revs above that 5K flat spot

Dial 01628 667644 & ask for Larry if you want some advice. 

By Fullstate on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:08 am:  View Fullstate's Profile Search for other posts by Fullstate Edit this post

Molan -

Try K&N Performance http://www.kandn.com They used to sell Power Commanders, but had a falling out with them and are liquidating their inventory of them. We picked one up for $150 (US) that normaly goes for about $349.  

By Jfalco on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 02:52 pm:  View Jfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jfalco Edit this post

Bike came grinding to a halt on my morning commute last Thursday with a very loud clicking sound where you would expect to hear ignition. Luckly it was not on a one track country lane but outside a pub in a village. Not open, but you can't be lucky all the time. Apparently the centre has dropped out of the spark plug and then fouled one (or more) of the valves. No compression, no ignition. The clicking noise was the piston impacting on the valve. Only 14 months old and 12,500 miles. I'm hoping that it's a warrenty job, though the dealer still hasn't been paid for my brake discs done under warrenty 6 months ago. The new ones are going after only 5000 miles. He is almost as unhappy with Aprilia after sales as I am. 

By Exdukenut on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:30 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Sorry to hear about the disaster. I'm sure you are  

By Johnl on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:31 am:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi JFALCO, I would be interested to know the make of the plug ?

If I were you I would contact the MD of the plug manufacturer directly. I would threaten very bad press for them and take them to court. You may find this works.

A friend of mine contacted Aprilia direct in Italy to complain about various faults. The end result was a new bike. Manufacturers cannot afford bad press believe me.  

By Jfalco on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 11:56 am:  View Jfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jfalco Edit this post

I don't know the name of the plug, or anything really. I'm waiting to find out what the full problem (and damage) is. I'll be trying as hard as possible to not pay for this fault.  

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:26 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Jfalco, how long ago was the plug fitted? Has it ever been changed? Who does your servicing? (expecting M/Cycle City)
I've never heard of this happening, hope it's ok for you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation