2k2 gas tanks

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: 2k2 gas tanks
By Aviator� on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:32 pm:  View Aviator�'s Profile Search for other posts by Aviator� Edit this post

just a heads up, they re-contoured the back of the gas tank on the 2k2 models. So if you're like me, don't buy a custom carbon fiber tank protector for a 2k1 and older, because it won't fit  

By Wlk303 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:45 pm:  View Wlk303's Profile Search for other posts by Wlk303 Edit this post

Thanks for the heads up, I too have an '02. But a "tank protector"? After grabbing a handful of front brake at high speed on the freeway (to avoid a drifting motorist), I found out the hard way that a "family jewel protector" would be most useful. 

By Geo on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:51 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

How about an airbag?
I'm pretty sure that 01 to 03 share the same tanks.  

By Aviator� on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:09 pm:  View Aviator�'s Profile Search for other posts by Aviator� Edit this post

well, they are not the same. the back of the 02 tank is flatter, the 01 arches up higher, sort of like the mille. this carbon fiber pad fits an 01 perfectly, but leaves about a 1/4" void between the tank and the pad on an 02

pic 

By Geo on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:45 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Duh, I didn't notice that it's Falco post, not a Mille.
Double duh and......never mind!  

By Falcorob on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:10 pm:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

So does that mean that Baglux kit won't fit either? They list Blue as a 2001 colour only?

Rob.

By the way it's a bloody expensive way of buying a tankbag. £69 for the tank cover and upwards of £70 (depending on style and size) for the bag.
Anyone know of any alternatives?  

By Hydropnik on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:03 pm:  View Hydropnik's Profile Search for other posts by Hydropnik Edit this post

Rob,

You might want to confirm with Baglux, but the difference was very minimal. Aviator picked up a contoured carbon fibre tank protector and there was about 1/4 of an inch of space between the protector and the tank at the back of the tank.

You could look at the Aprilia tankbag. It isn't bad looking, but the rivets pop where the straps attach to the bag. Doesn't make them unusable though.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation