Clutch replacement

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Clutch replacement
By Sway on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:05 am:  View Sway's Profile Search for other posts by Sway Edit this post

people advice please. Clutch replacement. Can I do this myself or is it a trip to the dealer to get ripped off. If I can do it myself will I need any special tools and how long is it likely to take.  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:38 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

mmmmmmff 

By Litre1 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 06:40 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Once the clutch is installed, what is the break in procedure Ken mentions on that website?  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 06:53 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I may be wrong but I think the procedure is to rev bike to 10000rpm, pull in clutch, crash through garage door. Cry for help (and order another new clutch)  

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:08 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

There's a break-in procedure?  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:23 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Bef, aren't you the one with the most clutch issues?  

By Rca on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:24 pm:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

I'm in the process of changing mine this evening. The web-site that crmc33's posting points at has all the instructions you need. Follow them 'carefully' and it's dead easy really. That said, if anyone has an explanation for the mystery tooth that I refer to in the 'Clutch Question' posting in the Mille section, I would appreciate it.  

By Litre1 on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:54 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I assume, then that breaking in the clutch consists merely of taking it easy on the acceleration, and do a lot of stop-and-go riding in traffic for the first hundred miles or so? I get plenty of that here in Atlanta!  

By Dave on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:57 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Provided the frictions are soaked in oil overnight, my understanding is that little if any running in is required. I was told to take it easy going the 5 miles home as mine had only been soaked for 3 hours or so, in the morning I went out and scared myself witless trying to produce some clutch slip. No adverse effects to report.

Rca, can't help with the tooth at the moment but I'll be by my mates place this weekend, I think my old plates are still there so I'll have a look if the question's still open - sounds like you need an answer!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation