Touno at the NEC - Disappointing in the flesh

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Touno at the NEC - Disappointing in the flesh
By Andylav on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 04:52 am:  View Andylav's Profile Search for other posts by Andylav Edit this post

Flew over to the NEC to have a look at a few of the new jobbies, the one I wanted to see the most being the Tuono.
Having been a big fan of the Falco Fighter (well, at least the front fairing, bars and pipes), I was looking forward to being able to buy a bike like this in an original format (i.e., big twin engine, flat bars, semi-naked appearance, etc.) but have to say, diappointed at the asthetics, which I have to admit, are important to me.
Didn't like the gold frame or swingarm, better in black or silver I think but even worse was the completely over the top goldie, bronze decals that they've applied liberally to the front fairing (Falco version is better looking here as well), tank and seat fairing. And, lacquered over them so you can't just wheek them aff.
Yes, the Falco fighter still does it for me (probably a bit more exclusive as well).
Sure it rides well though!  

By Andyjfalco on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:36 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Have to agree. Bloody ugly springs to mind.
Andy.

By Jr60 on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:09 am:  View Jr60's Profile Search for other posts by Jr60 Edit this post

From the photos was thinking the same, had thought of tuono as replacement for stolen falco. Looks good except for gold frame etc. Will wait to see one in the flesh (hopefully at Belfast bike show) or consider s4 monster!  

By Redlionfalco on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 08:43 am:  View Redlionfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redlionfalco Edit this post

Looks like a bike that's come off the production line missing the last dozen or so parts. Far too unfinished looking to be considered from my point of view.  

By Crmc33 on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 10:02 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Im not that keen on it either but I think the streetfighter-unfinished look is the aim of the bike really.  

By Oldgit on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:11 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Having seen it it's ugly, just a rsv without the plastic and fitted with bandit bars.  

By Dean0612 on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:49 pm:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Saw it at the NEC today and have to say that most of it is just lovely. What spoils it is that fairing - looks like someone took a hacksaw to a Mille fairing and they left it at that. Sort that out and it'd be a fairly good looking bike.  

By Durangokid on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:55 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

I was very excited to see the Tuono in person. One word describes how I feel, disappointment. I just didn't like the paint scheme whatsoever. My wife said that if I were to buy one, I would need to get a gold tooth to match! I love the concept, but the engine should be visable and not covered by plastic or carbon fiber.  

By Jacko on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 03:17 pm:  View Jacko's Profile Search for other posts by Jacko Edit this post

i saw the tuono at the nec too
looks like an unfinished prototype to me .
my mates who were there said the falco looks better,i agree.
as for the sv10000 two of the lads were going to order them 'til they saw them in the flesh,how disapointing.
looks like it's got to be bar raisers and renthals and say hello to mr hacksaw to the fairing cos there's no way i'm spending £2000 on a falco fighter kit on a bike i paid £4500 for!
has any one tried this approach yet ?
i'd love to know how you got on ?  

By Andylav on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:30 am:  View Andylav's Profile Search for other posts by Andylav Edit this post

Think we should forward these messages to Aprilia UK. I voiced my opinions to a guy on the stand and his response was a fairly arrogant, 'well you're the only one who doesn't like it, everyone else loves it and we've a stack of advance orders'!
I think a few of those might be rescinded when potential owners see them in the flesh.
Like I said, sure it rides brilliantly but the finished article could have been so much better, with very little change.
My two pence worth? Put the fairing from the Falco Fighter on it, lose the gold colouring on the frame and swingarm (leave it polished or make it black), either lose the bronze decals on the tank and seat cowl, or make them an external application that can be removed without the need to damage lacquer and finally, colour code the belly pan.
It's not rocket science but it's the difference between me having been interested but no longer or rushing out to buy, even at new prices!  

By Jr60 on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:17 am:  View Jr60's Profile Search for other posts by Jr60 Edit this post

Totally agree with all of the above, had decided on tuono for replacement for stolen falco (love the engine fancy the riding position-bad back and all that) however looks have totally put me off. Seems its a ducati s4, which can be got for £1000 less due to dealers not prepared to deal on the new model!  

By Gtfalco on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:56 am:  View Gtfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Gtfalco Edit this post

hmm I agree guys saw the Tuono yesterday and that gold frame and swinging arm look so cheap and tacky,leaving it silver like the Mille or black would have been so much better.Otherwise I like it though the fairing is a bit naff,still I,m sure it will sell.However my fave bike of the new models on show was the new Z1000 all I can say is awsome.  

By Dean0612 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 04:26 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

The Z1000 was a huge disappointment to me. I used to ride a hairy-arsed retro bike (XJR1300) and so was looking forward to a modern update. The front end of the Z is so low it made me think it'd been stolen off a scooter and the riding position just felt wrong - all angled forward when a muscle bike (to me at least) should be more upright. Felt like a sports bike with the fairing removed.

Highlights of the show for me were the BMW Boxer cup bike (no, don't laugh - it fits me perfectly) and having a good gawp at the Vincent Black Shadow on the classic bikes stand. Oh, and seeing that BMW tourer "thing" with the perspex fairing lowers and spider-eyes lights I couldn't find a more hideous machine in the rest of the show.

One man's opinion and all that. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation