Suzuki SV1000: what do you boys think?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Suzuki SV1000: what do you boys think?
By Befbever on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:44 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

http://mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2003/Suzuki/SV1000S/Suzuki_SV_1000_Page1.htm
Your opinions please...

Btw, the more I read about it, the more I get the feeling this could well be a Falco replacement for moi.
It would be nice to beat those RSV's with yet another sports-tourer.  

By Bonerp on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 02:26 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

No thanks! Looks Japanese to me...oh it is, sorry! 

By Tokas on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 03:25 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

If I wasn't so pleased with my Falco the SV 1000 S could wery well be a candidate. I like the over all looks, except from the rear grab rail and mudguard cluster which I would replace at once. I like the fairing and instrumentation.
The naked version is but ugly.

But why change? Isn't it more fun to have a rare italian fullblood instead of a jap-crap?  

By Falconas on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 05:31 am:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

??????? Is everybody good with your health??
Do you start to compare that with the Falco?
It's ugly!! It doesn't offer anything more that the Falco and it's Suzuki!!(that one is for the Greek dealer)
Last week i drove a friend's VFR 800 Sleep
and i remember for another time why i bought the Falco.
The Jap's bikes are....another bike.
FALCO IS FALCO!! Wheelie
And this is from a guy that always had Japan bikes until now.
HEY JAPS.... Fingers 

By Durangokid on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 07:03 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

Looks like a girl's bike

The bike is likely to sell well. The TL motor is reportedly a stonker, the V-strom was well received (By the press anyway. I haven't seen sales figures or even one on the road. I can see two Agustas on the same day here in Austin.) and the SV crowd has been begging for a bike worthy as their next purchase.

Maybe I could just buy the fairing to replace those damaged on my Falco. You have to admit that it would look a hell of a lot better than the Falco with the Buell front end! 

By Falcorob on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 08:58 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

No thankyou Bef.

Rob

Oh no! I've upset someine else now.  

By Falcorob on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 08:59 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Someine?

Someone shurly?  

By Scotty on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 09:21 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Bef, Two things...

Looks wise... std forks just don't look the part... and more importantly fuel tank is small!
Big twins and small fuel tanks shouldn't go together...

Apart from this I was seriously considering one at one time... but then I've considered so many bikes of late.

I'll let you know some more once I've seen/sat on one.. hopefully tomorrow at the Bike show in Birmingham.. yep got the day off work to go!
Gonna try and get some photos of the more interesting things on display... 

By Dave on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 09:33 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Bef - hang that head in shame! How dare you bring that rif raf in here! - s'not even a yammy!!!

Looks a bit like one from the front tho...  

By Oldgit on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:48 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Looks more budget than a firestorm, I don't like the frame much but it's nice to have more choice and it will be cheap as chips soon enough 

By Befbever on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:02 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

More! More!
And don't call me Shirley!

By Kbomonfalco on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:28 pm:  View Kbomonfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Kbomonfalco Edit this post

If this were out back when I was looking, I may have gone with it. I was really looking at the SV650 then. Only problem was that I knew I'd outgrow it within a month. Now they throw in the bigger motor. Unfortunately, I'm in love now. The Falco is sooooo much more sexy. The Suzuki just has that mechanical look. Very Japanese. But then, owning a motorcycle is so much more than looks. Your bike needs to speak to you on an emotional level. The Falco does that in a big way . Have you had a chance to ride the SV? Or even sit on it for that matter? A tough decision no doubt. Go with what YOU want. Don't listen to us. We're just a bunch of Falco lovers .
Too bad you can't find some kind of "loop hole" in that write off policy
Kevin 

By Befbever on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:47 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

But there IS a loop hole, Kevin, there IS.

nudgenudge

It IS a tough decision, but there's still time.
Btw, none of what you lot say will affect my decision on whatever bike I buy. I'm just curious to hear what everybody thinks about the SV.

So keep it coming! 

By Crmc33 on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 02:28 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

It looks shiney now, but you know it wont be for long after your average Belgian winter 

By Daz on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 02:36 pm:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

I luuuuurve it. Well mostly. The rear lights are awful, don't go near any airports in the dark, and why silver wheels on all the models ferchrissaki?!

If the blue un had blue wheels, my god it'd be nice.

If bef got one he'd rework the forks, swap the rear shock (the SV's sussies would most likely be it's worst points, like on the current SV) and fit Rene's. It'd be one mean mother then, I can tell ya!  

By Falcoholic on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 03:07 pm:  View Falcoholic's Profile Search for other posts by Falcoholic Edit this post

It's a Suzuki.

No fanks 

By Kbomonfalco on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 07:47 pm:  View Kbomonfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Kbomonfalco Edit this post

Bef,
Do tell. What is your loop hole?  

By Exdukenut on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 09:12 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Sorry guys but it does nothing for me. I got up close and personal at the MotoGP Display, and checked the "hollow" frame around the top engine mount, and it doesn't look too sturdy IMHO.

The rear tailpiece doesn't look "too" bad, but the Falco has more style, and class, and the frame is georgous. Far better shape around the tank to.

It's just a real shame that the Falco is about $1500 too much here in Australia, otherwise far more people would have jumped on to a great bike!

Bef, just a thought, why don't you go and buy a good secondhand Falco, for peanuts probably, and just take your good bits from one to the other, and you'll be able to extend your love affair.

By Hansie on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:34 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Not suited for driving all year , everything corrodes except the plastic. Suzuki finish is very poor. Engine is great (the TLS), maybe even better than our Prilias!

Styling is very japanese : Fazer , R1 ,Zx?R etc

Not my piece of cake , like the TLS more and you still can buy them for the same money as the SV. Overhere you get a free WP pakage (front,rear and steeringdamper) and loose the rotationdamper.

Better bike I think.....

Hansie

Hansie  

By Johnstar on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:20 am:  View Johnstar's Profile Search for other posts by Johnstar Edit this post

I owned an SV650 for two years and can report the following:

If the 1000 is anything like the 650, it will seriously corrode after one English winter.

It will run on only one cylinder in heavy rain.

Owners will complain about a strange 'clunk' as the front forks bottom out under heavy braking.

If you ride it regularly, (i.e. in all conditions) it will take up your valuable time trying to keep those silver wheels looking like new.

But . . .

Suzuki operate a fair and comprehensive warranty system and are honourable people (Aprilia UK please note, although I can't imagine for a moment they give a flying F**K about what we think).

Also, the Falco is a fairly rare item on our roads, whereas the SV will be as common as sh*t, mark my words

Just my opinion, of course, so please don't start calling me a knob if you don't agree!

John 

By Islefalco on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:23 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Hmmm... Looks a bit better now, might be growing on me a bit. But no where near enough for me to WANT one. That fairing looks a bit like a Fazer Thou fairing which has ornamental value only. And there is the Suzuki finish worry as well. I expect it will all work properly and, with that motor be an entertaining ride. But as a replacement for the Falco? No, I don't think so. It would be like riding a copy of the bike you used to have. I have, from time to time entetained thought of owning a Hayabusa and that is still the only Suzuki I would want. The power from that motor would just about make up for the fact that the bike is a 4 cylinder japanese thing. I knew someone who owned a GSX750 (teapot) and the corrosion on that made me worry about owning a Suzuki.  

By Befbever on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:14 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

The corrosion on the metal parts (footrest hangers and swingarm) of my RF600 was terrible! There was almost no paint on it to start with.
But the bike never ever failed me. Suzuki gave me carb heaters for free eventhough I didn't have any problems with frozen carbs. And I used to ride the thing home at 11, 12k rpm every day.
By the time it was 4 years old, the discs had warped very badly. But haven't I heard that before somewhere?

Btw, I rode on 1 cylinder in heavy rain with the Falco for weeks. It turned out one of the Japanese coils had a crack in it.

Kevin, what Ex suggests is actually the loophole. Problem is, a secondhand Falco doesn't go for peanuts here. Mine's still quite valuable my dealer assures me. And replacing a used Falco for another? Hm...I'd still be riding a bike with, let's not forget this, gentlemen, a '98 engine & injection/ignition management!

I'm not saying the SV will be good, better, worse or anything! I'm just trying to keep my options open.

Ask yourselves the following question: if you would have to buy another bike to use for the next three years and you couldn't keep your current one (for financial reasons in my case), what would you consider? It's not an easy decision, it certainly isn't for me.

Thanks for all your thoughts, keep 'em coming! 

By Befbever on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:22 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Oh and btw, what I don't want is a Mille.  

By Tinkytot on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:40 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

The only other bike i'd consider is a 1150GS, but then I'd have to keep a race bike aswell.

They are expensive to buy but not to run apparently. 6000 quid secondhand with 10000mls, ouch!

I hate to say it bef but if you are to downgrade the firestorm might not be a bad choice. You'd still be able to whoop lesser riders on their Mille's.  

By Geo on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 08:06 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Hey Bef since you mentioned finances, then I'd say the SV650 is the only "cheap" bike that I'd consider. I find that bike more fun to ride than many more expensive (and more powerful) machines, plus it's polyvalent and the rubber should last a lot longer too.
In any case trading from an excellent but 4 yr old machine to new one usually means either trading *down* in bikes or trading *up* in finances.  

By Bob on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:35 am:  View Bob's Profile Search for other posts by Bob Edit this post

Wait for the new KTM  

By Geo on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:40 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

By HAVE and financial reasons, does that mean that you're getting some tax break or a company allowance for transportation?
Yeah that new KTM looks very tempting to me, but you may need more weather protection, it has like none.  

By Hansie on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:52 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Still the TLS!
Dont listen to the journo's about it , just try it youself and put the Technoflex instead of the rotationthing.

Bet Jorge can make a TLS TNT system!

Hansie 

By Mr_Venjer on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:02 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Damn, I was just about to say a RSV ! I'll say it anyway, how about an RSV ? You can get them really cheap if you and a mate have balaclavas and baseball bats !

Kevin  

By Twowheels78 on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:11 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Bef, It's not a bad looking bike, although it looks kinda, well I hate to say it but, cheap. Standard forks, cheap finish and frame?!?

Are you looking strictly at v-twins? The other bike I was considering prior to buying the Falco was the Trimuph Daytona 955i, the new version is supposed to be much better then the 595. I knew I didn't want another Japanesse 4, I wanted something different. In the end I decided against it because it wasn't as comfortable or well finished. Otherwise Bob is right wait for the KTM. The engine is supposed to be tiny, but extremely powerful! One of the engine designers is an ex-Aprilia employee, can't remember his name now.  

By Befbever on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:02 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hm...yeah, Triumph were in the running 3 years ago but do they have something nice nowadays?
Er, honestly, I wouldn't know.

Quote:

In any case trading from an excellent but 4 yr old machine to new one usually means either trading *down* in bikes or trading *up* in finances

Well, no, that's not the case. I'm trying to stay within a certain budget. If I'd get an RSV or '02 RSV-R at 13k Euro I'd still be within the limits. Which would also mean I would change the forks in the Suze immediately and get an airkit and a system.

But I agree it looks cheap.

Quote:

It would be like riding a copy of the bike you used to have.

My thoughts exactly.

Let's say for the sake of argument that with the proper goodies it'll outrun a Falco, then what? Anybody think of that? Or am I the only one who finds this an issue?

And btw, waiting is NOT an option. I HAVE to do it early March.

TLS, hm, no really. Same prob as Falco: older bike, not as good-looking.

Let me also say I'm very happy this arrangement with the tax thing exists. I wouldn't have a Falco if it didn't.
But if they'd abolish it NOW, I'd keep the Falco.  

By Geo on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:11 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Don't make the same mistake with your new bike that I did with the VTR : I bought an inexpensive bike and spent a ton of money to make it better.
In the end it cost me as much as the "overprized for the US" Mille did!
It's often cheaper to make a fast bike tolerable in comfort (bars, seat and windscreen) than to make a crappy handling one fast.
What kind of riding do you do?  

By Brianr on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:25 pm:  View Brianr's Profile Search for other posts by Brianr Edit this post

Bef
Same dilemma three months ago. Tried everything (not the big SV) Had to sell the Falco before the value fell out of it.

The RSVR was the only thing I could face (that or another Falco). To be honest The RSVR does not light my fire in the same way the Falco did (looks passion style etc).. I know there is a lot of big fights on this web site re which is best and to be honest the Falco just does it for me (big style). But man The RSVR does the job right out of the box. I am amassed at its capability (no flaming chaps I am way too sensitive) I guess you have tried one too so only you will know if it works for you. Kind of (starts singing like Chris de Burgh) classic dilemma between the head and the heart���head won (in my case......)

BrianR
PS hope your keepimg ok  

By Falcorob on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:31 pm:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Bef

Ever thought about the Fazer Thou? I know Daz will be laughing his head off now but I seriously considered it as an option before buying the Falco. Loads of power, comfortable, but butt ugly eh Daz. He he he...

IMHO.

Rob  

By Befbever on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:36 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I would call it 'fast commuting'.
The bike needs to be narrow for filtering through lanes so something like that Beemer BenW and Tinky are nuts about is out.

The bike also needs to be fast. As fast as budget allows actually. I know this may not be politically correct, but I couldn't give a rat's ass.

I'm a polite guy, I pay my taxes, I was raised to respect other people, nations, convictions, etc., I take my responsibilities seriously, do my job well, respect my collegues and even some of my superiors , respect the traffic rules but I can't see the point in speed limits on a motorway or a deserted great twisty road other than revenue SO EXCUSE ME IF I DON'T GIVE A TOSS ABOUT DOING 80 MPH ALL THE TIME!

Sorry, rant over.

Brianr, thanks for sharing that. I actually haven't ridden the RSV (or R) yet. It doesn't ring my bell, I don't even like the looks of it. But I'm sure what you say is true. The engine seems to be much smoother and all that.
But I like to think I'm experienced enough to handle some rough reactions from the Falco. Fact is, if the SV would turn out to be MUCH smoother, I probably wouldn't like it anyway.

Feck, the Futura's still in the game and it doesn't ring my bell either! But at least it may get my wifie back on a bike.
Er...but do I want that?

P.S.: An RSV rider told me that a mate with a Futura would lose the RSV's on twisties. Yeah, right, what a surprise.

Are you getting any of this Mr_Venjer?  

By Befbever on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:43 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Fazer thou? Naah, I'd not want an L4 anyway. I rode a Fazer 600 a while ago and thought I was still too young for that. And I'm 40!
It's a really nice bike, the Fazer, but it's not for me. And I don't like the looks of the Fazer1000. Nor the wind protection.

Just MHO.  

By Geo on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:44 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I'm getting the notion that Bef likes "sleepers", to surprise other riders with a bike that's faster than it looks or than people expect it be.
The RSV screams "I'm the fast one" so that won't do! Am I right about that Bef?
Meanwhile I removed all the stickers off mine to make it little more stealth.
It's the hardware of the RSV that I fell in love with (after riding it) and had to have, even if its plastic didn't match my self-image.
I don't much like L4s so for me there's few choices to be had....maybe someday the new Suzuki V4?  

By Befbever on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:47 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

You got my number, Geo!
It doesn't hurt to be on a sports-tourer with the cops either. They've never stopped me and the bike makes plenty of noise music.  

By Geo on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:00 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I call it traveling music...can't imagine any joy in listening to an L4 at cruising speeds.
The V4s sound nice though.
Added bonus with the Mille around town is that
5000 rpms = 83mph and the engine sounds like it's loafing around at triple the speed limit.
I shift up early and ride the torque, the American cops rarely bother to look up when I drive by, they think it's just another cruiser.

By Daz on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:15 pm:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Falcorob!! You da man. Fazers... like, WOW dude!!

Bef, what about shoe horning a GSXR thou engine into something like an old CBR600... laughing mate! Laughing!! Or a tuned ZX-9 engine into a ZX-7R! The most planted road bike with a monster engine...

No? Oh.

What about the CBR600RR? 167mph enough for you as stock, sir?

Daz 

By Daz on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:08 pm:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Double post.

Daz 

By Scotty on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:27 pm:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Hey Bef...

I observed it today...

Looks ok... personally I'm not in the market for one of these...

POST EDITED DUE TO COMPLETE FAILURE OF SERVER TO ALLOW ME TO UPLOAD PICS 

By Scotty on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:33 pm:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

SV1000 

By Scotty on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:35 pm:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

SV1000_2 

By Sffalco on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 05:24 pm:  View Sffalco's Profile Search for other posts by Sffalco Edit this post

Motorcycle designer-"Mr. Suzuki!!! Ah have new idear fah new sv 1000!!"
Mr. Suzuki- "HMM!! Rooks good rets bulrd it!
Motorcycle designer- "Uh, actuarry dat iz Apriria Farco!! We should cahpy it with a few changes!!!
Mr. Suzuki-"HMM!! Do it!

disclaimer: this is not a slam on Japanese...just a slam on Japanese Motorcycle Companies  

By Falconas on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:20 am:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

"BRIANR" said:

Had to sell the Falco before the value fell out of it.
--------------------------------------------------
???????????
I don't really understand that. If you like the Falco, why sell it? Even if the value drops. So what?? Is it so bad to keep the bike you love for 5 or 6 years, if there is no other that you like as much?
For me it was -love at first sight- with Falco. The first picture i saw back on 1999, i said this is my next bike. Despite the fact i had to wait 2 years because of financial problems, i finally made my dream come true. And there no other bike out there i would even consider changing for the moment.
I LOVE MY FALCO Love 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:16 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Are the two blokes on the right hand side of the pic cardboard cut-outs? They seem to look the same in both of the pics? 

By Richandall on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:15 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Bef, remind me what's wrong with the new Tuono in your book. The only road review I've seen suggests it's the biz. If it's about looks, well I can see the point (just). If it's about 'go' then maybe a demo will change your pov. Can't be price cos it should be about 9K Euro + tax.
No UK demos yet & March '03 delivery being quoted.

- Rich
Btw You could maybe transfer some of the special bits from your Falco to it. It uses the Mille Sachs which is a good one IMO and has more midrange than the standard Falco. Damn! I'm beginning to sell myself on this project!!  

By Dave on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:20 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Hey Bef, how about a nice yellow xjr13 sp - we could swap now and then

By Daz on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:24 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Sat on the Tuono today... and I think I know why they've called it the Tuono...

The dash is that far down that it is hard to see (especially with the bars being in the way) - that you'll look down to try and see what speed you are doing and you'll take so long that by the time you can spot that you are doing over 200 kph you'll have only just time to see the thing you are about to hit... ohnooooO!!!!!

Daz 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:32 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Is it just me or does it look like that SV1000 will have a major ground clearance problem?...and I dont mean the front wheel being in the air all the time!

OK its just me 

By Richandall on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:29 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Daz - that sounds like the right place for a speedo - outta sight!

So the Tuono offers an upright riding position then. And the pegs - are they as per the falco or what? And are the bars wide enuff? Does it have fatter bar grips? Will the Aprilia soft bags sit above the can? Etc

Questions, questions!

- Rich  

By Daz on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:27 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

lol!

The seating position was near exactly what I want - nice wide bars that let you sit almost straight up. The seat seemed very high, though the rear tyre wasn't on the ground so it may just be artificial.

It looked pretty cack to me to be honest..

The best bikes on the Aprilia stand was.... the Falco... by far!

Daz 

By Richandall on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:49 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Oh dear, I did so want an aspirational bike

So, the Fazer 1000 then

- Rich

By Daz on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 09:56 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Close - Fazer 600!! The ultimate!

Daz

PS Rich, need any work doing by mr freelancer Dazla? 

By Mr_Venjer on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:04 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Bef, the Sv looks to Japanese. Being the man of quality and integrity that I know you are I don't think it will suit you. What if by some strange quirk you actually sat on and rode a RSV and loved it - problem solved.

I too like the sound of v4s and triples. I like the 955 with a nice fat oval pipe on it. Pity the geezer at Donnington made it look slower than my mum running for a bus.

Stealth, hmmmm, I have no sensible ideas for you mate. That new Moto Guzzi thing looks the nuts but thats not out yet.

Bef you have a major problem. Not only do you think Futura peeps can outrun beautiful Milles but you need to change your bike but cannot make up your mind. Sorry I cannot be constructive. I love Prillas toooooooo much. Bring forth the RS3 !!!. Oh I may be able to make Silverstone after all !

Kevin 

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:06 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hm....now that I see it from another angle (thanks Scotty!) I like it less.

Mr_Venjer, you're right, I can't make up my mind yet. I just got a mag with the new ZX-RR test. Wow! First Kwack I like since the infamous strokers they made!
I don't think Futura peeps can outrun Milles but I'm pretty sure I can outrun you on one!

Rich, I don't like the looks of it. I think it's a damn shame that frame and swingarm gets painted over/anodized. It doesn't offer the protection the Falco does either.
I just don't like the looks, period.

I think after Bologna I'll have a talk with my dealer. Maybe I could get an RSV-R to look like a Falco! Best of both worlds!

By Brianr on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:23 pm:  View Brianr's Profile Search for other posts by Brianr Edit this post

Not even sure what we are trying to do now. Bef just in the way of a social experiment. (As I found myself in your shoes). Try the RSVR before you buy anything. I know it don�t light your fire and I know you can handle short comings in a bike, If you are that good it should suit you down to the ground (well not literally). but try it. Get one for a day and try it������.. One thing we would all get out of it would be a good absolutely non bias view of the thing from someone who can actually ride one..

Either way mate getting a new bike is way cool experience

Above all enjoy it

brianR  

By Hansie on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:10 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

I like the new kawa's too , esspacially the zx-rr ,best looker from japan. If they keep these lines the new zx9rrrrrrr looks promissing.

They look small although , nothing for this big guy.

Hansie  

By Tinkytot on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:25 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Bef, I don't understand the financial angle to all this. If you need to downgrade, that usually means buying something that costs less - not more like a ZX-RR would, or is it the cash to keep the thing in one piece that fleeces you on the falco.

I'm with you mate on the looks of the RSV, too race-rep for me but I also have never been on one, I'm sure I'll like it when I do. But it still does not look as nice as the falco and the RSV rider (from experience) has to be a hero to use that extra bit of handling and bhp that the RSV has in order to whoop a falco rider.

I might just take Brians advide to you and have a go on one. Maybe the way the bike feels makes up for the way it looks.

But then you'd still have the crappy warranty etc. I took my Firestorm in after 23 months was up on the warranty and got £500 worth of work done, no troubles, imagine that with Aprilia.

A couple of year old ZX9R but then you'd have to put up with a bike with NINGA written all over it, what a damn shame that is. May as well have TWAT written all over it. Otherwise a top bike, I thought about getting one.

I'm not being much help am I....  

By Daz on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:03 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Bef has to change his bike every three years to take advantage of the tax regulations over there in mayo land... I think he can afford any bike he likes (within reason!!) so he doesn't want to downgrade, but find a sleeper type bike that goes faster than it looks like it should do...

Daz  

By Tinkytot on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:19 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Cheers Daz, now it all makes much more sense!

If thats the case, get an OW01, sorted! Oh no, thats not a 'sleeper' is it.

Errrrrrrrr, f*ck it - I just dont know any more.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:14 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Quote:

but find a sleeper type bike that goes faster than it looks like it should do...

will a bored-out MT50 do?

How about buying a race tuned 1966 Suzuki T20?... a thirty six year old 250cc bike that does 140mph!
You know it makes sense

By Hansie on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:19 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Suzuki Burgman?
Cant be slower as it looks!
Wanna see the Mille drivers face , just got passed by a belgium Burgman

Or keep the Falco and buy a new Mille too.
Use the Falco , not the Mille and sell the Mille after 3 years with 0km????

Hansie
For all youre stupid ideas. 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:31 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

how about buying a Honda V5, and writing 'this is dog slow' on the side in big pink letters? would that work? 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:32 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

you can rely on crmc33 for typing total
testes

By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:38 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Crmc, yet again you amaze me. How long did it take to type "boll..." ?? And a Falco owner too ! That figures - a freekin nutter. Then you have mini moto Bef - another nutter, you are all nutters - aaargggggghhhhh !!!!!

Its getting too much for me, I cannae tek it cap'n !

Kevin 

By Befbever on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:12 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Cheers for explaining, Daz. Saves me the trouble.

Brianr, I've been thinking about your sound advice all day. And I think I'll have a go on one.

I'd ask for Mr_Venjer's, but I need a fast one.  

By Webhamster on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 12:47 pm:  View Webhamster's Profile Search for other posts by Webhamster Edit this post

www.S2RiderSite.com 

By Befbever on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 12:48 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Sorry, Hammy, I've gone off it now. Still, great engine with lots of possibilities but if it'll be the same corrosion-prone crappy finish as the SV or RF...and if it'll be common as muck...

...then I can get something else that's more interesting. I'm off to test this one now!!!

By Durangokid on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:10 pm:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

Bef,

Just returned from the moto-show in Dallas.

Have you considered the Ducati Multistrada? Looks much more interesting in person than in any of the photos I have seen. It looks like a "jacked-up" Hailwood.

I assume the 999 is out of the question, but WOW!

The SV1000 would seem a logical choice, but there is no snob appeal.

The Kawi Z1000 is certain to be a riot, but a previous post suggests a lack of interest in an L4.

As far as Aprilia, the Tuono was a huge disappointment in person. The gold paint (read: sticker) looks horrible. Aprilia should have gone with a solid color. Love the concept though.

Why don't you turn your Falco into a streetfighter? You know that the Falco is the dawg's bawls!  

By Befbever on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:45 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Kid,
the Multistrada, a smashed-up garden fence with an engine attached to it, is not my cup of tea.
No offense, and the 999? Well, I wouldn't say WOW.
More

If you re-read the posts, you'll find I can't keep the Falco, but I know it's the dog's bollox. I've just shown a Millenaut the same thing.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation