Airkits and brake pads etc

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Airkits and brake pads etc
By Mikeo on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:32 am:  View Mikeo's Profile Search for other posts by Mikeo Edit this post

Hi there everyone. I bought Brianr's falco off him back in August and am very happy with it (Cheers Brian; how's the RSV?). I have got a couple of questions though; firstly, I've got Renegade pipes and chip - if I now order the Rene airkit, will I need to add a new chip or does it take into account the freer flowing air intake? I expect this has been asked many times before - I went through some of the old threads but got too depressed at the Aviator's rantings! Will I get a whole load more mid range power if I add the airkit? Will I need to get it all set up on a dyno? Any advice much appreciated.

Secondly, I'm going to fit Goodridge hoses, but which would be the best pads to go with these, bearing in mind I'm not the world's fastest or best rider, but I do like to stop quickly when necessary! And are all Falco rear brakes crap or is it just mine?

Anyone have a cunning plan for sorting out a 3mm diameter stone chip on the tank? It's right through the red paint to white plastic.

I've put on an RSV Sachs shock recently. I didn't wind it out to fullest ride height due to stand instability. Would I get better handling with raised ride height? Any ideas on where I can get the shock set up for my weight; 11 stone and in Devizes, Wiltshire?

Finally, will the Rene stuff or Googridge hoses mess up the final year of warranty? I've heard a Scottoiler messes the warranty; what about the CLS200U electronic one reviewed in Ride mag this month?

Thanks for earlier advice re clocks resetting; WD40/Duck oil on starter button sorted this.

Thanks in advance for answering my (dim)questions and sorry if they've already been answered in old threads.

Mike  

By Powermaster on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 05:40 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Wow, that's a lot of questions, soon the webmaster will start charging, Stan stevens used to do that, a pound a minute ,
As for the Airkit question, better get in touch with Renegade, but usually the eprom is changed.
Brake pads, Beff is the king, , I wouldn't even dare
Be carefull with the googridge lines, I heard people complaining of them being too short?
I let the others help you with the rest.

By Mikeo on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 06:37 am:  View Mikeo's Profile Search for other posts by Mikeo Edit this post

Sorry about the number of questions, but if you don't know something then it's better to ask than guess!  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 07:11 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Brake pads; EBC HH pads are good however you ride. Lots of power and lots of feel, and you know you can never have too much feel

My settings are: (with the mille 2000 shock)
Rideheight is 326mm
Springpreload is standard at 130mm
Compression is set at 20 clicks from max
Rebound is set at 7 clicks from max

I'm approx 92kg, if youre lighter then maybe you'll need less spring preload and more rebound damping. I found that anymore rebound than that stated above had my shock pumping down and the bike getting hairy over the bumps

Cant comment on the goodridge hoses, Im happy with the OE ones. Ive got a Mk7 Scottoiler fitted. Damned fine it is too altho I dont have a warranty so cant comment on its effect on that.

N E way, I ope dis elps.

cop-u-later 

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 07:35 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Pads: EBC HH

Rear brake: no, that's just yours that's crap.

A tip: use the rear brake daily, it'll start working fine. With Carbone Lorraine pads, it'll be the best rear brake you've ever had. But don't buy these pads for the front, they're utter rubbish for our discs.

I have the Goodridge lines. Nothing wrong with them IMHO.

I have a Scottoiler. I didn't write a letter to Aprilia stating I have one so the warranty's fine.
Well, I say "fine" but what I mean is it's adequate.
Well, I say "adequate" but what I mean is they don't give a shit about their customers sometimes. So f¨ck the warranty and go to Renegade if you need your bike serviced.

OTE!

Btw, you're learning, Powermaster.  

By Bonerp on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 07:37 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

Try Pirtek in Swindon for hoses. They'll measure up and make them to length for a damn fine price!

And supply all different types of fitting you could want.

They made some for my Busa. Excellent service too.  

By Mikeo on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 12:50 pm:  View Mikeo's Profile Search for other posts by Mikeo Edit this post

Cheers for all your thoughts. Rear brake; possibly glazed pads; haven't taken them out for a look so should do that first. I've bled it and there's no air in there.

Does anyone do a manual? Haynes don't appear to. An RSV manual would at least give some advice on the engine etc.

Thanks Bonerp, I'll try Pirtek. I'm from swindon originally (a fine place with some bad press!!). Might see you out on the Wiltshire roads at some point.  

By Dave on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:18 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Oi, stop slagging off the carbon corraines - you've just all got the wrong disks

Mikeo, two lines going straight from the master, cheaper than 1 into two, would have been my choice with hind site, loose T piece and probly make removing the plastic bit attached to the bottom yoke easier, if your into that sort of thing... 

By Dave on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:23 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Oh yes, a punch and a small hammer, pretend you like the effect

cunning-like?  

By Bonerp on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 02:16 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

Yeah, hoping the weather improves first eh!

Ever go to Avebury?  

By Scotty on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 03:11 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

EBC-HH Front and Rear is what I use....

Your rear brake is crap probably cos you're running OE pads.. they are low friction rated...

You will be amazed initially with the effect that EBCs have on the front but esp the rear...

Only downside to EBC-HH on the front they don't work brilliantly in the wet...

I agree with Bef.. do not use Carbone Lorraine SBK3 on the front they suck! CLs in the dry are worse than EBCs in the wet! 

By Dave on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:56 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Scotty, still got those CL's? I might take them off your hands...  

By Scotty on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 05:51 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Dave, yer still got a full set for the front! They are obviously slightly second hand... they haven't done more than 500 miles tops.
I'm sure we can come to a suitable agreement over payment... i.e.  

By Dave on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 06:42 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Scotty, sounds good, you have voicemail...

btw Mikeo, re earlier nonsense comment about punch and small hammer, I did of course mean some closely matched paint - is it a redun? the red lightens with time so no use finding origional color code, plus an artist's fine paint brush. If the chip is only 3 mm accross you can do a reasonable job of cammoflaging it just by painting out the underlying color. Try and build up the paint in the chip till its at the same level as the rest. Of course this won't fool anyone looking closely.

A point on the lightening, will applying some form of T-cut help restore the origional color? I'm not too keen on abrasive polish but after 3 outdoor years the paint beginning to look its age a little, there's some slight marks on the tank and seat units and some of those remains on the front just don't want to move!

re bleeding the back, I've heard its v. difficult to bleed well, did you have the rear caliper off and above the level of the master cylinder? This is how I've seen it done.  

By Redlionfalco on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 08:11 am:  View Redlionfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redlionfalco Edit this post

I fitted braided lines earlier this year (good move) and despite fitting a banjo bolt with an integral bleed nipple to the rear caliper, the only way I could get it to bleed was to remove the caliper and elevate above the master cylinder as already mentioned. Also using Ferodo Sintergrip disc pads on the front and find them to be very good, good initial bite without being grabby with good progressive power thereafter.  

By Befbever on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 08:32 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Dave, I threw my almost new CL's in the bin I think. Thought I'd never get rid of them anyway.

I'll look tomorrow if I still have them.

Scotty's terms also apply 

By Dave on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:02 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

hehe, anyone else with unwanted cl's??? I replaced the fairly worn pads with the CL's when the infamous front brake judder, or abs, started, I was only interested in stopping the judder and when it was still there I replaced the disks within a couple of days with the cast ones, with which the Carbons went well. pfm recommend Bendix which I've got on at the mo but thier shit in the wet so the CL's are going back on. Just in case anyone was wondering...  

By Befbever on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:37 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Some of us mere mortals are still condemned to the OE discs. I like them so much I'm on my third pair!

With the stock rotors, and I know I'm repeating myself here, the grip with the CL's in the wet is frightening! As in 'non existent'.
The EBC's don't offer grip straight-away either when wet, but strangely, since the cleaning op of a few days ago, I get instant grip in the wet. Odd...

Btw, I found them. Pheeuuww!  

By Mikeo on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:58 am:  View Mikeo's Profile Search for other posts by Mikeo Edit this post

Bonerp; yes I did go up to the Red Lion a couple of times this summer but it was a bit claustrophobic and I managed to get blocked in by getting there early and didn't want to knock over the hoards of R1s to get out!

Dave; yep it's a reddun. I'm hopefully getting i sorted by a chap who trades as 'Bike Medic' in Swindon. He's going to build it up as you suggest which he says will be cheap. He says he does a lot of work for George Whites so he hopefully knows what he's about!

Took rear caliper off today and you're right Scotty about OE Brembo pads. Brian said they were the originals, so after 16k miles and still having 3 - 4mm to go, either the system is air rather than hydraulic or they are the crappest pads ever made!! Have ordered new pads so will bleed with caliper raised when I get them. am waiting to see results of new pads before going for braided hoses as there's only so many pennies to spend, and I'm hoping to go for the Rene airkit very soon. Then there's the Scotoiler......heated grips........etc....etc....

Just read the write up in Bike magazine. Rather a lot of contradictions in such a short article. I haven't found that the bike is boring and doesn't stand out; quite the opposite on the few occasions I've parked it in town. Media is all about hyping one thing or person up, then knocking them down again as it sells copies. Doesn't really matter to them whether what is written is truth/ half truth/ lies....... there ends the sermon on capitalism......
Anyway cheers for all your help.  

By Bonerp on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:18 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

Bike Medic in Swindon is a bloke called Karl. He bought my Busa off me (regrets)!

Think you'll be pleased with his work! Hes a top lad. 

By Mikeo on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:58 am:  View Mikeo's Profile Search for other posts by Mikeo Edit this post

Excellent Bonerp. Nice to have a recommendation before allowing someone I don't know access to my bike with a pot of paint! Was the face there cause you regret swapping your Busa for a Falco? It wasn't the one I saw parked in a drive and up for sale in Chiseldon last year was it?  

By Bonerp on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 03:37 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

Sold Karl the BUSA and I bought an RSV, then sold RSV for a Falco (due to sprogg)! Don't regret buying Aprilias, but the Busa was special - had Corona race paint job (one of 3 in country) and loadsa special bits.

Nah, not me in Chiseldon!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation