Someone is out there riding a bike with my number plate!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Someone is out there riding a bike with my number plate!
By Molan on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 05:14 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

I have a black '01 Falco on a Y plate. In the last week I've had three parking tickets from parts of Central London I've never even been to!

Luckily my bike is locked away in a company garage so I have some proof that it couldn't have been me on the days concerned.

Checked with the parking office & they say that the bike that's been parking on double yellows all over the place is a black Aprilia Monster (interesting hybrid!).

Spoke to the police but they weren't that interested - they took a note of the number though & then informed me that it's likely I might get pulled over for papers to be checked so I'd better carry all my documentation with me.

Just wondered if anyone else out there has ever heard of fake plates being fitted with such a close match (I'm assuming the "monster" bit was a mistake)? 

By Falcoholic on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 05:44 am:  View Falcoholic's Profile Search for other posts by Falcoholic Edit this post

I once new someone with a dyslexic number plate. It confused the hell out of the Gatsos on the A9 to Inverness.
He swapped it over though when he reached his destination.

No idea who he might have been.

Aprilia Monster huh? Bet it still looks crap!  

By Befbever on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:36 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I know that bike thieves tend to ride with the same plate as a legit owner with the same bike. Makes it so much harder to prove it wasn't you. It's common practice so I understand.

One more reason NEVER to show your plate number on the World Wide Web. 

By Scotty on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 10:27 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Sounds to me like someone with a black falco has nicked your reg place num and is using it...
I would guess that the monster bit is a mistake...

I could put one ticket down to a mistake when the number was written but to get three means that someone is definately taking the p*ss. Take it that these are all different days/times?

What did the ticket office say about you having to pay for these tickets?
Have you taken legal advice?  

By Molan on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:05 pm:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Haven't taken legal advice but the ticket office seemed quite relaxed about the fact that there might be someone with a fake plate. They just told me to report it to the police & the DVLA & to write to them.

I'm just worried that A) This may only be the beginning as the offences are on different days & there might be more to come & B)Whoever it is may know where I live or work & could have his eye on my bike as well.  

By Crmc33 on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:39 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

change your number  

By Oldgit on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:54 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Molan,Tell us your nummber we can all use it  

By Molan on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 07:33 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Actually Old Git I'm already using yours.... 

By Bossbob on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:16 pm:  View Bossbob's Profile Search for other posts by Bossbob Edit this post

Could be a ringer.
woman in a fiesta parks up to go shopping, passes a car,same colour, same reg, etc, so goes to get the police. The police check in to the two cars...... and it was hers that was the ringer!!

She`d had it 5 years and new nothing about it, some scam a geordie mob worked out and they only got caught coz they aroused suspicion trying to sell them "too cheap"

I`d get the cops to record your concern, maybe even ask dvlc to change it free as you can prove its been cloned. If it were to be involved in a hit and run, you`d still have a lot of explaining to do.

Rab  

By Rsvjon on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 04:09 am:  View Rsvjon's Profile Search for other posts by Rsvjon Edit this post

Been viewing the site for a while, but had to reply to your problem.

I have a mate that I ride with who has the same problem, but on his car. Someone in the London area is riding around using it on two different vehicles.

He has written to the DVLA and police just to get it on record. They have been speeding and parking all over the place, total of six tickets.

Make sure you put it in writing to the DVLA and police. Tell them that you have proof that your bike/you were in another place. Get the guy at your company car park to put it in writing and sign it.

Don't be too eager to get your number changed as this is the police's problem and not yours. Also they will find it very difficult to issue you with a parking or speeding ticket until they catch the the other bloke.

Good luck!!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation