How many miles for a rear shock - time for an Ohlins?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: How many miles for a rear shock - time for an Ohlins?
By Molan on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 05:19 pm:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Hi Falco people,

My bike is in the garage for lots of bits to be fixed & added & as the entire rear end is coming out I wondered whether I should take the plunge & get a famed Ohlins shock fitted?

Can't really afford one but the stock Showa shock has now racked up 7,500 miles so I wondered whether I'm going to need a replacement soon anyway?

Anyone out there done enough miles on a regular shock to need it replaced through wear & tear - if so how many miles did you cover?  

By Befbever on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:53 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

There are peeps with 20k miles and more on their stock shock. I replaced mine after 15k miles or so.

A good indication of the wear is how the bike sits on the side stand. If the side stand is still crap and scares you every time you leave the bike parked somewhere, the shock's still good.

If the side stand seems to have improved with age, the shock's shot.

But if you can't afford it, why do it? 

By Benw on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 01:20 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

If you can't afford it - don't do it!

Sure, there are much better shocks out there, but if it aint broke, don't fix it.

21,000 miles on mine and it's still working. I'd fit a nicer unit if I could afford it, but I cant...

B  

By John1000 on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 01:59 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

I�ve just changed my shock and I�m in agreement with the other guys.
If it needs repairing then the Ohlins is very nice but if cash is tight and the Sucks is still fine then why replace. If you want to improve the handling of you bike then I would go for sports tyres first then a shock, as the Ohlins only really starts to be a big improvement if you ride the bike hard where as the tyres are instant.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation