Falco: Low side and a High repair bill

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Falco: Low side and a High repair bill
By Durangokid on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 04:20 pm:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

I managed to low side my Falco today.

This is the first time that I have been down since 1988 when I went over the handlebars on my Gixxer 750.

I wish I could blame it on something interesting like oil or a wet surface, but the only explanation is rider error.

While entering a decreasing radius, off camber turn... (clever attempt to shift blame) my left foot dug into the ground and I stood up. Now I understand the value of the reverse shift pattern or better yet staying on the balls of my feet and not worrying about the upshift. When I turned back in the front wheel washed out and I slid across the pavement and off into the gravel.

First of all, I am fine. I may have pain in the morning that I can't feel now though. I was wearing leathers and thankfully a helmet. I hit my head pretty hard and based upon the scraping on the left side of the helmet, I may not of have a left ear had I not been.

The bike is pretty messed up. The left side of the bike is a write off. Mostly cosmetic as I was able to pick the bike up, reattach the left slip on and ride it home. Riding home was a bit of a challenge as the shift lever was sheared off.

Anyway, the worst damage was done to my ego and soon my pocketbook. It certainly could have been worse.

I imagine a couple of people have had similar experiences and I wonder what the cost of their repairs came to.

I called for prices thinking I may just absorb the hit instead of filing a claim. I am looking at $3000 in parts alone. Mototek charges $70 an hour for service. Fortunately, I have collision insurance with a reasonable $500 deductible. My insurance is renewable in February, so I predict a huge premium increase.

Geico is sending an adjuster to the house on Monday or Tuesday. They may end up totaling it. Has anyone had experience with this. I owe $9700 to PeopleFirst. Any guesses on whether this would be completely paid off with an offer made for me to purchase the bike from Geico?

I am not sure how much these pictures will show:

www.geocities.com/cstarrett/oops.html  

By Brucen on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 07:22 pm:  View Brucen's Profile Search for other posts by Brucen Edit this post

Sorry about your fall. I had a driver in a car make an illegal lane change & clip my front wheel. I went down on the left side at ~35mph. The bike needs a new left side fairing, gas tank, clip on, footpeg, left exhaust can, tail piece & light, and probably some other parts. Basically, the whole left side of the bike is trashed. The total bill is $4800. Insurance will cover it.

The bad part is the length of time it is taking Aprilia to send the parts. The accident happened at the beginning of August & all the parts still haven't come in. I hope your wait for parts is shorter than mine.  

By Geo on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 07:45 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

You should have taken the bike to a dealer and gotten an estimate.
The trick is to claim enough to have leftover for the deductible and stuff -easy to do, anything that's got the tiniest scratch qualifies for replacement- but low enough that they won't be tempted to write it off.
They owe a helmet too.
BTW your web site pix don't show diddly squat other than the pop ups are a major pain (4 of them?!)  

By Oldgit on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 03:00 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Nothing but sympathy for you Chuck, I had my first fall in a very long time too this summer. I have been beating myself up ever since.
I do hope things work out. I don't belive in making inssurance claims unless it's clearly someone else's fault, you always pay in the end one way or another.
I repaired my bike using 2nd hand parts, repaired and repainted whatever I could at a fraction of what a dealer would do it for Good luck. 

By Oldgit on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 03:03 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Nothing but sympathy for you Chuck, I had my first fall in a very long time too this summer. I have been beating myself up ever since.
I do hope things work out. I don't belive in making inssurance claims unless it's clearly someone else's fault, you always pay in the end one way or another.
I repaired my bike using 2nd hand parts, repaired and repainted whatever I could at a fraction of what a dealer would do it for Good luck. 

By Prilliant on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 09:43 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

First thing first. The good news is you haven't given yerself any bad injuries. Bikes can be repaired. Hope you get it all sorted.

Best wishes, Prilliant  

By Dave on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 10:58 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

If it is just cosmetic then replacing the parts yourself shouldn't be a problem if you've got basic spanner skills, can also be fun . And you also have the option of sourcing parts from people who (ligitimately) break new bikes, search the net.

best of luck... 

By Jcc273 on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:25 am:  View Jcc273's Profile Search for other posts by Jcc273 Edit this post

Glad you're alright...what tires and what was the temp? I almost lost my front 3 weeks ago. I have sportecs and it was ~35 degrees. My neighbor has sportecs on his Ducati ST2 and also slid the front recently.

-Jim  

By Racerxlilbro on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:51 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Glad you're alright!

Good luck with the repairs... 

By Richandall on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 09:06 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Must've been a nasty moment - glad you're alright.

What about turning the Falco into a Tuono/Streetfighter/Naked bike?

Btw I turned the shift pattern around with a Mille lever. It's a cinch and gives a more positive action.

- Rich  

By Durangokid on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 07:24 pm:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

My experience so far...

I was quite sore on Sunday, but nothing major. The pain reminded me of what I felt like the morning after playing football in high school.

I called Geico on Saturday and they sent an adjuster over yesterday. All the guy did was take a couple of photos of the bike and instruct me to take the bike to a dealer to get an estimate.

Once I get the estimate, the dealer faxes the information to Geico and they write a check payable to the dealer and myself. Not too sure how that will all work out.

The Euro Shop of Waco is sending a truck down to Austin to pick my bike up tomorrow. Talk about service. These guys rock.

I called Aprilia today looking into the possibility of installing the Tuono nose to the Falco. Apparently this is impossible. But, I am seriously considering installing the Streetfighter Kit.

I will keep everyone updated as I learn more about the process.

Chuk Starrett
Austin, Texas  

By Durangokid on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:37 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

This insurance claim business is a pain in the A$$!

I had to submit a new claim taking some "cosmetic allowances", bringing the claim down to $4900 from $6500. Basically the swing arm and the oil tank have scratches and I have to agree not to claim the damage. I am NOT a happy camper about it. What the hell do we pay insurance for? Then the Euro Shop is taking me to school on the replacement parts, full MSRP. I am at the point where I want to say, forget it. Salvage the bike and everybody loses. The insurance company pays the highest claim amount $8500 (less salvage), the dealership loses because they don't get the repair business and I lose because I owe People First $1200 and I no longer have a bike.  

By Richandall on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 02:14 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Seems like a typical insurance stitch-up to me. You lose twice over, running a scratched bike that also costs you at trade-in. Plus, you get a hike in renewal premium cos of the claim. So three times.

As the insurers have the final say on payout, scrapping the bike ain't really an option.

What's a poor boy to do??

- Rich 

By Durangokid on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 07:03 pm:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

I am told that my bike is repaired and ready for pick up.

The only problem is the left RSC Carbon can is currently unavailable from Aprilia USA. I should find out tomorrow whether they will split up a set for me.

Unless they will, I will be riding with the stock cans and I still need the left RSC Carbon.

John Symonds? Please send me another email. I may be in the market for those cans after all.  

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:21 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I'll have a pristine swingarm to anyone that wants it soon, as my mille arm will be going on, and buggered if I can think of a reason to keep it. $Aust100 ($50 US, plus shipping to wherever), if you want it!

Just let us know. And I'll arrange for you, when mines off. Just a thought anyway.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation