RSV-R Front end on.......!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: RSV-R Front end on.......!
By Exdukenut on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 12:48 am:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I haven't been able to go for a ride on it yet, but that will happen tommorrow morning. Will post up complete details tommorrow including a photo.  

By Rca on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 09:13 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

You've done the back, you've done the front, are you going to do the middle next.  

By Prilliant on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 10:41 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

No really!!! I am not remotely jealous.

Ya ba@*!#rd!!! 

By Exdukenut on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 04:07 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Well here is some Pic's of the forks and Tomaselli bars.

The total time to get the Showas off and the Ohlins on (5 hours) is a bit long winded, so I won't go into mutch detail, unless you guys really want to know, suffice to say that the hardest bits were figuring out how is was going to support the bike once the forks were out, and getting the new bearings on, and the corresponding shells out of the stem.

I put the bike on it's rear stand and put a 1 tonne car support spaced up under the clutch asembly, as well as a car scissor jack under the "flatest part" of the oil sump. This actually worked extremely well!

Getting the new bearings on, and the shells out proved the hardest, as the new hard chromed bit at the top of the stem was now the same dimension as the bottom surface, so to get the bottom bearing over the top surface I had to put the steering stem in the freezer for about an hour (to shrink the thing as much as possible), and to get my wife's hairdryer and heat the bearing as much as I could. It finally went over the top surface after much tentative hammering all around a drift, over the stem rod.

Getting the old "other half of the bearing", the shell inside the frame steering head, proved somewhat difficult as well. After much careful persuasion, they came out and then after a short time in the freezer they went in quite easily.

Next a grease with aircraft quality grease, and tighten the steering stem up.

All is going according to plane!

Next the forks went in, and the handlebars, measured 3 rings on the top and set the top triple clamp on. (I'm having a small aluminium block machined up for the ignition switch, that's why you can see some cable ties holding it temporarily - the previous owner raced the bike and ground off the previous ignition block - I may save up for a top triple clamp from a guy in South Autralia, who did the ones for my old ducati). Frankings Racing. Some really beautiful stuff.

The next problem I had was, that I didn't have any mounting bolts for the rotors. Looked at my 4 spot calipers on my old Duke, right size, wrong thread. Quick trip up to the local bike shop with fingers crossed. 4 Bolts sourced, PHEW!

Anyway didn't get to ride the bike on Saturday as the missus's went for a hair appointment, so my turn for the babysit/fun with my 16 mon th old. (She can have as many hairdo's and whenever, seeing I can have the Ohlins - GREAT DEAL, I RECKON!)

Went for the ride, on Sunday (Took some tools just to make sure all bolts were tighten, and I could adjust the suspension if necessary). Initial impressions, very impressive, I repeat very impressive! Wound on another turn of preload, only. That's why you can see the cale tie on the leg.

Didn't have the luxury of 2 friends to help without the static sag measurement and had to do via experience rather than exact science to later in the week. (Temp solution I know - but would this stop you from going for a ride!
). I was really surprised that so far I can't fault the settings for compression, rebound, and my preload, at this stage. Remember I wanted to get used to the ride before having a really good thash. We did however up the pace to probably 65%. I also was wearing in some new M1's so just wanted to err on the side of caution.

The Tomasselli, I guess in word, look cheap, compared to the Gille's, and Heli bars. They also are slightly lower, but I just set them initialy and so far aren't too bad, (I have long arms), But again some custom bars from Franks Racing would set the bike off very nicely.

Anyway I'll get some better photo's over the coming weeks.

The swingarm has been delayed, as Jorge is making me some headers (Bef, I couldn't resist....now wher are those funds coming from!)

Forks

Bars

Bar 

By Cplus on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:19 pm:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Oh, bugger, keeping up with the Joneses just got harder. I guess there's only one thing to do... wait until some poor fool totals their '03 RSV-R and I can sponge a set of Ohlins forks with radial Brembos!

By Exdukenut on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:33 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Cplus, don't think you have to keep up with the Jones's. You're bike looks equally sweet, with the swingarm. You can get the std front forks nitrided, special hardening of the fork gaters (bronze colour ala Showa Race forks, and the revalving of your front end, for around half the price!

Bottom line is, I KNOW they work very well, more supple for want of a better way to describe it, and they came up at a GREAT price.

TTYS, and enjoy the riding. The weather here in Australia, is very dry at the moment so lots of kms of riding coming up for me, and my friends.

The forks do look good don't they!

By Dave on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 06:59 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Wow {drooling!}

now thats made the black un respectable that has, a touch of gold at both ends plus - the ARM! More Photos!

btw, I've studied mine and what I thought was a ding, is also there on mine! that polishing! anyway, I'll make my excuses by saying that my std headers are still sending a pipe up that way(the left!) hence my mistake. and it now looks like the rsv arm is designed to have a pipe on that side!

re the front, I'm going to maxton for innards, who've been well recomended, anyway dont think the gold will go with the red so well!

re headers, Oi! martini boy - any time as long as its not 3:25 on a Sunday afternoon - is this what happens when the weather goes and (almost)all the millnoughts hibernate eh eh? I thought Sunday was a busy day? And it was wet /scowl! I took a chance today and came down to find - no coffe! let me know how long you need and I'll make it down sometime over next 7 days. And I Will phone first this time  

By Hansie on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:04 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Looking great , keep these posts going!

Hansie  

By Befbever on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:55 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Well, Ex, you've outdone yourself with this one. Pheeuw! What a site for sore eyes! I can only imagine how that must look on a red Falco.
I'm missing some gold-coloured OZ wheels on your bike. And of course, the TNT system.

1. These forks are designed for the more skillful riders among us. I'm not convinced I'd get the most benefit out of them but then again, I don't do many trackdays. If you do, good on ya!

2. I'd be shitting myself if I were to ride an '03 Mille R every time a c*r or truck came up behind me. It's the only way to total them and keep the front intact. wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!

Congratulations! Now for that system.... 

By Dave on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:35 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

hehe, silly me, Renegade open on sundays by appointment...

Ex, bike's going down next week, Jorge just wants to be sure everything fits before sending. And I get his sv for a day or two - when's that trackday

btw Jorge, I'll bring that origional shock with me, I'm guessing you'll have that out too so might as well let you swap em? 

By Befbever on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:41 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Dave, let the man have a life too will you? Harrassing him on Sundays,

By Scotteq on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:52 am:  View Scotteq's Profile Search for other posts by Scotteq Edit this post

Exduke: GORGEOUS! They look stunning! I'm officially jealous now.

[quote]Oh, bugger, keeping up with the Joneses just got harder. I guess there's only one thing to do... wait until some poor fool totals their '03 RSV-R and I can sponge a set of Ohlins forks with radial Brembos![/quote]

Or you could always call Ohlins, order up kit number 3200-01, and install that in your OEM forks.
S'nice!

Scott  

By Islefalco on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 09:18 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

I can't keep up with all this Exedukenut. I have not got the time or patience to spend modding the Falco. Those forks do look great though...

I have had increasingly frequent thoughts recently of trading it next year for a Mille R. I think that writing that cheque will be a lot less bother!  

By Wlk303 on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 06:46 pm:  View Wlk303's Profile Search for other posts by Wlk303 Edit this post

The Tomaselli clipons look very adjustable. Are different height risers available? Where can they be found on the Web?
Oh yeah, the forks do look great, don't they.  

By Cplus on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 06:40 pm:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Quote:

I have not got the time or patience to spend modding the Falco. Those forks do look great though...

One of the things I really enjoy about motorcycles is being able to modify them. The modifications can be for performance, handling, appearance or just for kicks. I probably can't use many of the mods any more than most folks on this list, but I still enjoy doing them. Part of the reason this forum is so great is to see all the things that are possible with the Falco, such as Ex's Ohlins forks.

Oh, yeah, the Falco is one of the last hobbies I can justify!  

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 06:47 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Dave, thanks for being Jorge's guinea pig on the headers! Hope is SV goes well!

Also, the rear swingarm will go on over the coming weeks. I've sourced a new workshop (so I can get them to do all the bearings in the arm, as well as get the remaining chainguard for it), & accredited by the Aprilia distributor here in Australia, who have done all the work on my Ducati's over the past 20 years. (Sounds promising (they did work on the Dukes as well by the way - unfortunately a bit of a treck to get to them), as they also race an RSV-R, and are looking into development parts for the motor's as well

Wlk303, the bars aren't on Tomaasselli's website, well not that I can find, anyway. They worked out at $173.00 Australian. I happen to know the local Tomasselli distributor, so that's why the good price. Also note that they come in 50 & 52mm diameters so, if you were to by them for the Falco or std RSV you will need to get the 52mm ones, and have them milled out. They also don't come with any differing risers. One size fits all. From my initial feeling, they don't come up quite as far as the std bars (but I'm also 6'4" and have long arms, large feet, and a large.....you know what the girls say!), so if higher bars are reqd, then go for the Gilles or two brothers ones.

Bef, they do look good on a Black one, don't they! Personally I don't think they'd look good on a Red one!

Thanks everyone for your comments. It handles as well as it looks! 

By Hansie on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:18 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Quote:

but I'm also 6'4" and have long arms, large feet, and a large.....you know what the girls say!)

No comment!
Hansie "bigfoot" 

By Dave on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 05:18 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Ex, happy I can help out

re wot Cplus said - couldn't have put it better meself, you missed one 'reason' tho, that being stupidity! When I were a lad I liked the chopper look, but I don't know how the rd 'looked' with my Montessa trail bike front end on(inc 21" wheel & knobbly tyre), 18" ape hangers and 4" short metal struts replacing the rear shocks! Didn't ride too well either tho it got plenty of attention  

By Befbever on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:09 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

that being stupidity!

Chopper look? Way too much info here!

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:11 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Here, here, Cplus. Agree wholeheartedly, and I love my Falco, it's all I've ever wanted in a bike. Touring, sport, tootling, hooning, you name it the Falco can do it, and does it well. .

And yes it's my last chance at having a hobby before my boy grows up too much. Get the expense out of the way now, I say. 

By Wlk303 on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:45 pm:  View Wlk303's Profile Search for other posts by Wlk303 Edit this post

Exdukenut, thanks for the info on the risers. I'd still like to locate a set and possibly mount them on the top of the triple clamp like some guys are doing with the stock risers. I'll check my local distributor.
Oh yeah, you know what they say about guys with large feet? They wear large shoes. 

By Exdukenut on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 05:11 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Went for a ride yesterday and did our favourite scratcher road around near us, and upped the pace to about 75-80% and boy are the forks good.

There is more feel as to what the front end is doing, yet it is extremely subtle in how it transmits this to the rider. Really quite amazing! No front wheel chatter, turns better (maybe the forks have reduced unsprung weight, but I never weighed them, against the originals).

Far more damping control, but all I've done so far is add 2 turns of preload, and that's it.

Boy am I a happy chappy.

By Exdukenut on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 05:16 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Sorry dual post 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation