Aprilia SL Falco with oil leak

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Aprilia SL Falco with oil leak
By Bonnie on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 02:05 pm:  View Bonnie's Profile Search for other posts by Bonnie Edit this post

Leaking oil from pipe that goes into back of engine, also seeping from oil filler cap while engine running. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?.  

By John1000 on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 03:36 pm:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Mine leaked oil from the filler cap too, had to put some PTFE tape on it to stop it in the end. As for the oil from the engine I think I read somewhere about a batch of substandard hoses on some bikes. Or the usual problem of over filling.  

By Dave on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 04:30 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Any chance someone has misthreaded the filler cap?

some detail on leaking hoses here http://www.geocities.com/sl_mille/recall.html 

By Bonnie on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 02:13 pm:  View Bonnie's Profile Search for other posts by Bonnie Edit this post

Hi to Dave and John 1000,
thankyou for your replies to my problem,I am wondering whether it could be a seal in the hose not seated properly?. Have checked filler cap threads appear to be okay. should the oil get up that high? and could there be too much pressure in engine. The bike has only done 400 miles (dealer does not want to know).
Thanks again Bonnie  

By John1000 on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 11:57 pm:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

The cap on my engine is not cross threaded either, I think its just a bad rubber seal that�s the problem. As for the hose can�t picture where you mean exactly but may I suggest the oil from the filler may be running down the side and causing it . Any way as you will see from past threads filling the bike with the correct amount of oil is something of a black art so my bets are on to much oil. And as for the dealer find the head office and give their customer service people call 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation