Boring Question

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Boring Question
By John1000 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:14 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Just received the Renegade Air Kit and am going to get a filter for the Engine breather. Any one know the inside diameter of the tube and also a supplier.  

By Splyn on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:19 am:  View Splyn's Profile Search for other posts by Splyn Edit this post

1/4"

where are you going to be mounting the breather? i have mine on top of the airkit plate, but oil tends to get all over the underside of the tank and drip down the left side frame rails. I am currently looking for a solution for this.  

By John1000 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:13 pm:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Good point to raise Splyn , didn�t realise that it was a problem. Will be fitting it the weekend and will see what I can do. 

By Powermaster on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:32 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Of all the bikes I have fitted an airkit on, I am yet to find one that "splaters" oil all over, what I have noticed on bikes with airkits fitted by third parties, is that the tube is not seated in between the chain and the engine spacer just above it. Another situation is the overfill of oil and the engine just spits it out.
One solution for those still concerned, is to put the tube into a small bottle and hang it somewhere under the frame.
The reason we don't supply a crankcase filter, is exactly due to the above post and due to their costs. The Airkit does what it says on the label and I feel that the "Breather issue?", is a very small price to pay.
The design was made to work and adding gold to it, will not make it work any better, except bring the price up, I do notice however that to some the above does not apply and competitors preferences take first choice
Well as the saying goes "you just can not please them all" 

By John1000 on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 09:30 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Didn�t think that the breather would spit much oil out only if you overfilled it. Any way popped into a car accessory shop this morning and got a in line filter that is enclosed with a drain on, I think it should do the trick.  

By Dave on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:16 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Splyn, I think someone's suggesting your spatters are caused by over-enthusiastic filling talking of which, any of you checking oil level with the engine running? with it good and warm the oil in the inspection pipe will maintain the same level as it would using the std checking method - just make sure its properly warmed up and upright. I've only checked this a couple of times and it seems to work, more reliable than what I was doing ie start/stop/check a few times to make sure I got an accurate reading. Anyone with conflicting views? 

By Geo on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:26 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

My "splatters" are somehow connected to wide open throttle. Without any hard runs the "chain oiler" works perfect. If I ran hard I get a bit of a mess on the swing arm.
A little cleaning here and there but a lot less chain maintenance needed, well worth the trade IMO  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation