SP

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: SP
By Twowheels78 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:05 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Took the bike back to the dealership and had the first valve adjustment done, but that's not why I'm writing..... Guess what the dealership had sitting in the showroom? A Mille SP, you know the homogulation special with the cosworth built engine They are trying to sell it but at the same time they're not trying all that hard to sell it. The guy I talked to is the owner and he said he has too much fun riding it. He was kind enough to let me take it for a ride while I was waiting for them to finish up on my bike, they don't know me very well do they Talk about some power, makes the Falco seem slow?!? Tried a second gear wheelie, didn't work, it just spun the wheel It was cold, but the tires were Pirelli Super Corsas and they were warm enough by that point. Woo Hoo, some fun Must resist....must resist...noooooo...... 

By Twowheels78 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:09 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Oh, by the way all the valves were in spec, cost $330 and that included mounting up the new BT-012SS that I brought with me. That didn't include the cost of the tires, I got them mail order, front and rear for $200. They were rather intruiged by the pipes and airkit 

By Geo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:16 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

My dealer has had an SP sitting there for years.
I think that they still want mucho bucks for it.
Cosworth engine? I thought the motor was the same.  

By Twowheels78 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:27 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Yeah, they're not cheap, he wanted $20,000 for it. But that's not much more then the Mille R, it's got all the Mille R stuff plus the engine. Nope the engine the built by Cosworth, it's the homogulation special for WSBK. It's way oversquare, he told the dimensions but I don't remember them off hand. He said it's got 140hp, but I don't know how true that is. Although one things for sure it's got significantly more power then the Falco 

By Befbever on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:38 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Twowheels, you got to ride an Sp? Lucky git!

Geo, the Sp engine is way oversquare. I doubt if you can use any bits of that engine in a regular RSV. It's completely different.
Hp is supposed to be 145 I think.
It's not got 'all the Mille R stuff'. It's a completely different bike. I think it has an adjustable headstock, the engine can be moved in the frame, etc. As far as I know, that is.

Did you Mille guys think Haga was running a bike like yours? Think again.  

By Geo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:48 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Didn't think that Haga was running a store bought SP either. The frame diffrences I could see, but the bike that they have at the store has a standard 30lbs can on it.
If the engine has been changed, then it's not street legal in the USA, I wonder why they used a stock can on it?  

By Befbever on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:06 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

An SP should have an RSC shotgun can on it, not a regular Mille can. If I remember correctly that is. 

By Geo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:29 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Nope this one has carbon everything, adjustable steering head and swing arm mount etc but a 30lb anchor on it. The dealer said that it was the engine.  

By Geo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:30 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Sorry........
"the same engine"  

By Prilliant on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:52 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

The SP engine is not the same. Dimensions are very over-square as mentioned above. It's a road bike, for sale to the public so must come with street legal pipe, but the twin Ti Aprilia pipes are included in the price of somewhere on the wrong side of £20K. Also the cylinder heads are single spark as opposed to the twin spark heads on the Falco, Mille and Mille R.
Bodywork is carbon, brakes are red brembo like early Milles, and wheels are normal Brembo jobbies, not the posh OZ stuff off the Mille R.
Has anybody seen my anorak?

By Geo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:03 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I'm sure that you're right for the UK.
Here the cost of certifying an engine through EPA (emissions) is very high and not always feasable either.
For example we sell the RS250 but it's not street legal -although some people find ways around it.
The SP would have to use a standard engine or be sold as "track only"...come to think of it the dealer told me it was a track only model.
I forgot.
Why the silly can then???  

By Twowheels78 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:05 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Yeah, I was talking to the dealer about it, drooling all over myself, and he asked if I wanted to take it for a ride. I did a double take and asked what he said because I couldn't believe it either. And he said go ahead and take it for a ride He had one of the mechanics roll it outside and warm it up and then let me go for a ride.

Yeah it had two small diameter pipes on the same side, I'm assuming that's the shotgun exhaust you're referring to Bef? What I meant about the Mille R stuff is the Ohlins suspension. It didn't have the OZ wheels, which I found odd? I wasn't aware it had the single spark heads, but it's got all carbon bodywork and red brembos, Prilliant is right on that count. I had my camera I should have taken pictures, what was I thinking 

By Twowheels78 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:10 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Geo, if it's a track only model then I was highly illegal Well, wait a minute the way I was riding I was anyway Also if it's a track only model why would they put lights and signals and license plate brackets and all that stuff on it? 

By Geo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:10 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I love trying new bikes!
unfortunely here in the USA only Ducati, Aprilia and maybe BMW dealers let you try them.
Believe it or not the millions of Yam, Hondas Suzis and Kawis are sold just on what the rags wrote about them. Buyers don't even get to start them up first. Really lame.
I find it almost impossible to buy a jap bike in this country.  

By Geo on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:14 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I love trying new bikes!
unfortunely here in the USA only Ducati, Aprilia and maybe BMW dealers let you try them.
Believe it or not the millions of Yam, Hondas Suzis and Kawis are sold just on what the rags wrote about them. Buyers don't even get to start them up first. Really lame.
I find it almost impossible to buy a jap bike in this country.  

By Litre1 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:56 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I bought my Falco without demo riding it. The dealer was dropping the line, and said they would sell it for $8,400. I said OK, and took it home! I love v-twin engines and lots of displacement, plus the riding position of the Falco is ideal for touring and two-up riding to hauling arse on mountain roads. Now I know that Aprilia USA gives demo rides at their headquarters only an hour away! I still haven't been to test out an RSV. I'm afraid I'll have more fun riding my Falco to their headquarters than test riding anything else!  

By Exdukenut on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:34 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Litre1, I also never demo'd the Falco, but I did ride the RSV, twice, didn't like the weight on my wrists, as I'd just come off of riding my NCR Ducati. I researched long and hard for almost 3-4 months, then when the price dropped (or should I say they threw in the On Road Costs on the Falco, I jumped.

Haven't regretted my decision one iota since.  

By Dave on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 03:12 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

A little bird told me that the SP should come with std + race can(s), the std brembo wheels + the Oz Mags, which are race use only as opposed to the Oz Alloys on the rsvr. They've been sold in the uk for not much more than the R and often without the spares.  

By Twowheels78 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:04 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Like ExDukeNut I researched my decision endlessly prior to going to the dealership. However they did let me take the Falco for a ride prior to purchasing it. Not all Japanesse bike dealerships prohibit test rides, the dealership that I bought my F4 from let me take it for a ride prior to purchasing. Granted I new the salesman and sales manager that's why I got the ride, they told me they usually don't allow it. Guess it helps to know the right people

That's a good point Dave, I thought it was odd that it had standard Brembo wheels. When you say OZ Mags are you referring to the Magnesium ones? I'm sure they could sell those seperately and get a small fortune for them. 

By Dave on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:20 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Yep, the Mags are 'too soft for road use' and cost I think a little under £2k over here, the Oz Alluminiums are £1k (ouch!) and are road legal. It used to be a misconception that the rsvr has Oz Mags(me at lease), thier actually Oz Aluminiums. http://www.caplan77.com/ -> Falco Mods -> Oz wheels for some data. 

By Powermaster on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:41 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

The SP is a STD RSV, the bike was made for homologation purposes only, frame, headstock, engine. The original costs were high and to put all the goodies of the R would only bring the costs higher, but having two in my possession for over four months, I can tell you that they are worth every penny, The engine is a dream to work with, they are not very tuned up and I am surprised that TW found a difference in the power, his Falco in it's present trim, will kick ass on the SP (original trim) as far as top end.
Another goodie that the SP comes with, is it's full two into two system, nothing like the RSC shotguns slip on sold by AP.
Since the introduction of the Gixxer1000 into superstock, to race the RSVR against it and be competetive became impossible. Ducati had the same problem and brought out a priced down version of the 998, I only wished Aprilia did the same to the SP, I really don't care about the frame and headstock I just wanted the engine and the twins exhausts homologated. The problem is that the bikes in superstock rules, can not be above 12K.
BTW, the SP with the race shotguns only have 135bhp crank, you can see the dynos on the Rene site.  

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:37 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Now I'm confused, don't even think of saying it I trust my dealer, well as much as you can trust any dealer, and he said the SP has the Cosworth built engine in it. Other people here thought it had the Cosworth engine. I've read about the SP in magazines and they said it has the Cosworth built engine 

By Powermaster on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:41 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Quote:

the bike was made for homologation purposes only, frame, headstock, engine

Sorry TW, what I meant was ONLY the Frame, headstock and engine are different from the RSV 

By Rca on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:46 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

..ONLY the Frame, headstock and engine are different from the RSV ..

And the bodywork (Carbon) and the fuel tank (Aluminium) and the air intakes and the suspension (Ohlins same as the R) and the exhaust (2 into 2) and the brakes and the titanium screws/bolts.

..Cosworth built engine ..
Cosworth helped with the design, but it was still built by Rotax.

Have I out anoraked Prilliant?  

By Powermaster on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:30 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Quote:

I can tell you that they are worth every penny,

Quote:

Another goodie that the SP comes with, is it's full two into two system, nothing like the RSC shotguns slip on sold by AP.

RCA, are we on the same wave lenght?
Hellooo....

Those other goodies are easy to get. 

By Prilliant on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:52 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

RCA, yes you have.

Shall I get yer coat? 

By Powermaster on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:08 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 08:33 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

There is an SP on EBay for $80,000 AU or about $45,000 US! No I didn't screw up and add an extra digit or anything Ouch The guy says all you have to do is take the lights off and it's ready to race in WSBK It does have the Cosworth engine and all but it's not quite race ready 

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 08:40 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Dave, looks like you were right, people are selling the OZ wheels seperately. The same guy also has a set of OZ rims for sale. He's not to far off retail price but I've seen OZ's on EBay much cheaper.  

By Geo on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 08:54 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

My local stealer is selling the SP for US $30k and it includes the wheels....  

By Litre1 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 09:27 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

What is the auction number for the SP, I can't seem to find it?  

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 11:51 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

It's item # 1785765108. There's no bids on it yet, you gonna bid on it 

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 11:56 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Geo, I missed that "stealer" line before, that's a good one 

By Geo on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 01:05 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

A well deserrved line! all the local authorised stealers charge 50 to 100% more for parts than the mail order houses do.  

By Litre1 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 02:54 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Just being curious. I am saving up for the Harada race bikes on www.dupontresgistry.com! Let's see... 5% of my salary every month divided into $178,000. Damn! I'll be dead by then!!!

By Dave on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 04:21 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

or spend 5% of your salery in a house of ill repute every month and have a lot more fun in the mean time  

By Cplus on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 05:50 pm:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Not to pee on anyone's parade, but I'd be a little cautious with motorcycles on ebay. I recently found out a seller from Hong Kong had several auctions going using pictures and the description I posted on the web from a previous bike. There were other 'issues' with this auction as well. I filed a formal complaint with ebay, but by the time they reacted the auction was already over. Makes ya' wonder how often this kind of thing happens.

In ebay's defense, though, there are plenty of good people using the service. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation