Anybody tried the new D208?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Anybody tried the new D208?
By Frenchiefalco on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 01:39 am:  View Frenchiefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Frenchiefalco Edit this post

Hi All,

I have just read in a French magazine a test on tyres. 2 categories: Sport and GT sport.

For the sport category, the winner of this test is the new Dunlop D208 just ahead of the BT010. The D207 only comes 6th. The D208 is said to have exceptional grip, very good handling and quick response but no information on life expectations. They tried the tyres both on circuit and on the road, with Fazer 600 and Hornet 600. The GT / sport winner is the BT020.

However, the price is very high! (at least in France) � 325 / pair on 120/180. Around �270 for the D207 or BT010. So the question is: does it really worth the extra money or do the BT010 or D207 do the job well enough?

Thanks,
French Falco Rider
Blue 2002  

By Benw on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 01:59 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

or you could always use the Bridgestone BT012SS...  

By Geo on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 05:56 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I have 2 friends with D208zr and they both wore their rear very very quickly. I also wore out 2 sets 207RR too damn fast.
The BT012s last a lot longer -about the same as the 010s in spite of having more grip.
In the USA the 010 and the 012 cost the same, what's with that?  

By Befbever on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 06:02 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Isn't there a regular BT-012 alongside the BT-012 SS in the States? Mite be the reason. 

By Litre1 on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 06:16 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

That's a good point, Bef. We do have both here. I elected to go with the SS type just for shits and giggles. I love them. Haven't worn them out yet. Anyone have the 012 (non-SS's)?  

By Crmc33 on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 06:45 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I tried them but they tasted a bit vinegary.

A bit of Mayo helped calm them down.
Its Friday! 

By Befbever on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:19 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ah mayo, is there anything it won't do?
no there isn't! 

By Geo on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:19 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I think they're all SS. I have one of the first sets that came here, they never mentioned the SS then and it says just BT012R.....but in very small letters a little further you see "type ss".

What you do have (like on 207, 208s) are variations on the tyre for OEM specs.
A Gixxer or a 954 will have those. I don't know what the differences are then, but they claim they're specific for that model.

Remember that DP had different carcasses,treads and compounds but they were all named 207ZR. There was also another letter to differenciate them but no one knew which is what.
More confusion: some bikes come with 011 front and 012 rears (I have 12/12), or was that 010 rears?
I have no clue what's the story with the 011s.  

By Litre1 on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:10 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

For what it is worth, here is what the Bridgestone website has to say about each of them:

BT012 OEM

3D C.T.D.M. (Comprehensive Tire Design Method) enables Bridgestone to simulate optimum tire performance at all lean angles Original Equipment sport radial Silica compound provides improved and exceptional grip level on both dry and wet surfaces without sacrificing high speed durability.

BT012SS

3D C.T.D.M. (Comprehensive Tire Design Method) enables Bridgestone to simulate optimum tire performance at all lean angles Mono-spiral Kevlar belt (rear) construction in the rear tire for shock absorption and high speed stability. New Dual Belt Construction in the rear tires improves corner grip, maneuverability and shock absorption New Silica Rich Compound in the rear tires ensure excellent handling, providing a more consistent and longer lasting grip  

By Geo on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:48 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

So the "non SS" is the OEM and they give less details about its construction because it varies depending on what the bike maker specified.
pretty much what I had guessed, but now I KNOW!!
Thanks
I'm still trying Sportecs next.......  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation