Spark Plugs

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Spark Plugs
By Yaz on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:18 pm:  View Yaz's Profile Search for other posts by Yaz Edit this post

Can anybody tell me if it is easy to replace the spark plugs on the Falco, the rear cylinder seems easy to get at but the access to the plugs on the front cylinder is very close to the frame, it does n't look like I could use a tool kit spanner to do this. I have looked in the manual posted on the Aprilia Service Site it explains pretty well how to do the rear cylinder but it says to do the same on the front. I know you have to remove the airbox to do the front cylinder but I'm not sure if the standard spanner will do the job. I have not attempted to do this yet only looked, but when I need to change the plugs in the future I don't want to start to take the bike apart only to find it can't be done and I have to go the dealer.  

By Dave on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:14 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Yaz, the airbox does have to come up. What kind of climate do you ride in? In London the front top is a collection point for road shit and that's got to be cleaned out completely - try a torch and a thin stiff brush. I got one of them spanners with the joint in the middle and a T at the end - its fiddly. Spanner came from Halfords. Make sure the inlets get covered when the airbox is up, you don't want anything going down there...
And don't loose your temper  

By Yaz on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:46 pm:  View Yaz's Profile Search for other posts by Yaz Edit this post

Hi Dave, I live in Leicestershire, thanks alot for the advise, now I know its a fiddly job I will have to give myself plently of time to do this, then maybe I wont loose my temper, but I dont have to do it until next year! Cheers Yaz.  

By Dave on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:00 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Leicestershire - that'll be the crud then - how old is it?

How much spanners experience do you have? Its not too bad providing you've got the right stuff to hand. No reason to pull them out? dont fix what's not broken...  

By Yaz on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 12:45 pm:  View Yaz's Profile Search for other posts by Yaz Edit this post

Dave, the bike is 2001 model just had a second service at the dealers I bought it from (pre delivery service) so I'm not in a hurry to do the 9500 mile service, just curious on various things about the bike, answers which I 've managed to find on the forum thanks to you guys and girls. Regarding spanner exprience I think I'll be OK. Cheers Yaz.  

By Dave on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:01 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

By Brucecalhoon on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 12:52 pm:  View Brucecalhoon's Profile Search for other posts by Brucecalhoon Edit this post

Is there any conventional/unconventional wisdom on spark plug heat ranges for a 2001 Aprilia Falco? I use it 70% for open road commuting, 25% for weekend blasts, and 5% for the track. I forgot to bring the NGK part number when I went to get plugs from my dealer, and they gave me NGK DCPR8E instead of DCPR9E. I presume the 8E is a hotter plug. Any thoughts?  

By Litre1 on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 06:21 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Hey, Bruce. Here is a good explanation of the 2 spark plug types. Ken's website 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation