Smoking Exhaust

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Smoking Exhaust
By Yaz on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:28 pm:  View Yaz's Profile Search for other posts by Yaz Edit this post

Could anybody explain why there was smoke coming out of my right hand exhaust. What happen was that I went out for a ride, and when I stopped and turned off the engine I noticed that the said exhaust was smoking. I tried starting the engine again and the smoke stopped (it does not smoke when the engine is running), this only happen the once, but since then there seems to be strong fumes coming from this exhaust, the left hand exhaust is fine, its only the right one (front cyclinder I think). Thanks in anticipation of your replies.  

By Pbeachcruzer on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 05:34 pm:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

first question: is it a new system? new cans sometimes do smoke.
second question: could you be roasting dead critters?

lol  

By Crmc33 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:39 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Its probably the waste gases escaping out of the combustion chamber when the exhaust valves are left open. Or as PB said, it could froma new system or a hibernating pine marten in the link pipe 

By Yaz on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:13 pm:  View Yaz's Profile Search for other posts by Yaz Edit this post

Thanks to both for your replies, regarding the system I have had the bike for one month its a 2001 model and the previous owner did 4500 miles but the bike is in A1 condition no evidence of being ridden hard so maybe the system is still like new. And as for the hibernating pine marten in the link pipe, this could explain why we can't find the hamster! 

By Richandall on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:58 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Are you using an aftermarket can/chip?

Unburned fuel from the combustion chamber that in normal running is burned up by the hot exhaust gasses & so invisible?

I get it too, mostly from the r/h RSC/SL Carbon pipe, and the bike runs pretty rich on the SL chip.

- Rich  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation