Mille shock to fit Falco

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Mille shock to fit Falco
By Falco9 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 04:49 am:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

Having already received some excellent advice via this site, I thought I'd put all you to the test again.There are a lot of threads about the Ohlins / Technoflex shocks etc..But I want to know if there is a real benefit to fitting the shock from the Mille.
If so what year Mille shock should I look for,and are there any downsides.
Thanks in advance  

By Hansie on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:02 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

The real benefit of using a Mille shock is the height and compressiondamping adjustement.

Downside is that youre Falco looks more like a Mille

Hansie 

By Racerxlilbro on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:51 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Might want to do a search...there's a wealth of info on this site about the swap. Be aware of the different spring rates, though. Chances are, you'll need a different rear spring...

Good Luck!  

By Crmc33 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:44 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

The Y2K Mille shock is the one Ive got (and so has Hansie n MentalTrev too I think)

Does the job quite nicely. The spring on mine is OK for my 92kgs too. It is almost maxxed out on preload tho so I may go a for a stronger one eventually.

By Litre1 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:12 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Crmrc33- After doing some quick calculations (kg to lbs), it seems that you are in the heavyweight catagory with me! Having exactly 'zero' experience with rear suspension componants, I don't know how to read spring ratings. Is there a consistant label across all manufacturers (like tires), or do you have to contact the manufacturer and let them suggest a size? What is the "size" of your spring (if you don't mind me asking)?  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:14 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I dont know what the spring rate is but its the standard Mille spring. Someone who is of simialar weight who has had a shock custom built should be able to tell you a suitable srping weight.

Any takers?  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:16 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

sorry about my whoreful spellung, I'll be mishtaken for a German neckst  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:35 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I sent Ohlins USA an email this morning, and got a reply before lunch! So, after being revived, I read what the email said. It looks like I need to buy a new shock! Actually, I'm still in the middle of correspondance with them, but here is what they had to say:

"The spring number on the Mille shock should contain the number 1093-54. The Falco has a stiffer spring, so It will not work here. If you tell me your weight, I could recommend a spring for you. We have springs in stock. I have also checked the specification sheets on the two shocks. There are some significant differences between the two shocks. Here is a preliminary list of different parts: Body, Body top, End eye, Reservoir tube, Rebound valve stack."

Hmmm. Maybe should have emailed him my before purchase! I will keep you posted on what info he gives me. 

By Scotteq on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:59 pm:  View Scotteq's Profile Search for other posts by Scotteq Edit this post

Litre 1 - For a Falco, expect a recommendation from Ohlins of 150 Newton Meters for a 180lb rider.

Scott  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:10 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

That's my fighting weight! I've got 20 lbs. to lose! I haven't decided what I'll do at this point. If I wanted the ultimate in performace, I would have sprung for the ideal model. I just want a responsive shock with adjustability. After he tells me the prices, I will probably just take the spring off the sachs and use it. I can see a long drawn-out experiment coming--the DIY way! 

By Richandall on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:52 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Falco9 - I assume you've seen a Falco/Mille swap described at Twowheelracing/Crmc33.

I swapped mine for a Mille shock but repositioned it such that I didn't need to grind down the valve shroud.

It was a 100% improvement. No Downsides. Try it. Btw I think the condition of the Mille shock matters not the vintage.

- Rich 

By Falco9 on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:37 am:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

Thanks to you all for your advice & help. Richandall,thanks for the info on the swap,I hadn't seen this site but will do so asap.
I've got a chance on a 2001 mille shock v.low mileage @ £120, sounds OK at that price unless you guys know different?  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 06:54 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

120 sounds OK for one in top condn. Even better if you steal one of a Mille while the riders not looking 

By Richandall on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 07:53 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Agreed - £120 tops including p&p.
Btw don't get caught on p&p like I did when I bought my Aprilia luggage through this board. The happy chappie added about £20 'for courier service & insurance' to the agreed price then sent it uninsured by ordinary parcel mail. I waited an extra week and chappie trousered a extra tenner no doubt thinking himself everso clever. Hope he fell off on his next track day (did you????).

Should I name him now, guys, or wait to see if I get back the tenner first?

- Rich (never forgets)

Btw everyone else I've bought from through this board has been honest to a fault.  

By Benw on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 08:16 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Name and shame!!!

NAME AND SHAME!!!

Conning bastards shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!

B 

By Dave on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 05:45 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

d'accord to that!  

By Litre1 on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 02:54 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Got the Ohlins shock from the '01 RSVR mounted yesterday, and rode about 150 miles on it today. I thought I set the preload yesterday, but I was still about 2 rounds shy of comfortable. It really does require a lot of preload. I left the ride height as it was sent to me, about 7-8mm taller than the sachs. I haven't decided how I like the taller ride. Once I get the rear stiff enough, maybe the extra turn-in will be nice. It's going to take a lot of trial and error!

But, anyway ... for my use on the road, the spring will be sufficient. No work from the Ohlins rep after sending him my weight, etc. If he is very eager to get me set up perfectly, I may be willing, but I think I'll be happy with what I've got!  

By Exdukenut on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 03:48 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Litre1, have a look at the part number on the shock. There should be numbers towards the end of it saying something like 140, 150 or 160. The numbers are nM's. The Australian Ohlins guy suggests the 140 for 80-90 kg riders, 150 for 90-100kg riders, and the 160 for 100kg plus riders. Now I have the 160 spring because I usually take my daughter for a ride who currently weighs 35kg approx. The hydraulic preload works wonders in this instance as I just turn the knob either way depending on whether she has come for the ride or not.

I guess you've noticed the stand becomes worse now with the extra ride height at the rear. I always take a small peice of wood and use on unlevel ground.

By Cplus on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 07:50 pm:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Oi, what's all this then? I spent the entire day switching out the Falco swingarm, replacing it with a 2001-spec RSV-R unit, complete with Ohlins shock and linkage bits and bobs (aka dogbone). Then, I come in to check Aprilia RiderSite and I find out that the spring rates may have changed.

I didn't see any markings that would indicate nM -- does anyone know how to decipher the markings on the Ohlins spring (1091-31/95) to figure out what spring rate I have. Also, the suspension RSV-R linkage is significantly different than the Falco. The 'double conrod' is smaller, but the 'single conrod' is longer. I'm assuming that Aprilia changed the geometry for a more progressive action. Anybody know if this is correct, or am I way off base?

I didn't have time to take the Falco out for a ride after doing all the work -- it took about eight hour to switch everything -- but I took pics and will have a writeup ASAP.

Cheers 

By Exdukenut on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 08:32 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

The part number on my AP840 (46PRCLS) shock says 1093-64/160 which if I'm correct is for metric countries. I assume you are in the US, by the time difference you are responding with.

Might I suggest you have the imperial measured/part numbered springs.

Look forward to reading your full story, and seeing some pics.

Did you replace all the bearings in the swapover?  

By Litre1 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:00 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

The numbers that show up on the spring are just the part number for the spring. The 95 may be the rating, but I'm not . The correct spring for the Falco, according to the Ohlins USA rep, for a rider between 165 and 220 lbs. is 150 Nm--part no. 1059-59. (If you weigh less than that, you don't need a spring) The cost is US$97.45. I've had very good response from Jerry Wohlgemuth at (828) 692-4525 ext. 313 or jerry.wohlgemuth@ohlinsusa.com. The US office is in Hendersonville, North Carolina. 

By Litre1 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:23 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Ooops! Insert "sure" or "certain" (whichever you please) after the word "not" on that last post.  

By Cplus on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:38 pm:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Ex, Litre1,

Thanks for the info! I've e-mailed both PPS Racing and Ohlins USA to see if they can tell me what spring rate I have in there. I'll keep everybody posted when I hear more. Ultimately, however, I'm just going to have to go out and ride it and see how well the new shock and swingarm works.

As for the bearings, the RSV-R swingarm only had about 1000 miles and the bearing were nice and fresh so I didn't bother replacing them.

I'm also looking forward to trying out the 16/43 sprockets and new chain!

Regards  

By Litre1 on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:09 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Does anyone know the spring rate of the stock Sachs spring? Can it be used on the Ohlins shock?  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation