Oily sidewalls

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Oily sidewalls
By Richandall on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:27 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Changed the putoline chain wax for morris chain lube, result: sticky patches on the sidewall where its dripped, though not on the tread. How best to remove the stickiness and does it have any safety implications?

- Rich  

By Befbever on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:39 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Degreaser by Dupont or anything similar. Muck-off, Brakleen, etc. 

By Crmc33 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:28 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

WD40 works well and the water just runs off too. Also Ideal for brake discs as well as it stops them from rusting and working 

By Racerxlilbro on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:41 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

All I use is WD-40. I figure, a clean chain is a happy chain!

Plus, it won't kill the o-rings.

Why does my wife get nervous when I walk out to the garage with a can of WD40, and rubber gloves on??? 

By Crmc33 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:42 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I was talking of putting the WD40 on the tyres not the chain. That would be far too sensible
Walking out to the garage with a can of WD40 and rubber gloves is OK, its when you walk out of the garage with a copy of Superbike magazine and a tube of KY jelly...then she can start to get worried! 

By Racerxlilbro on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:45 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

LOL!

NO, that's why I ALWAYS have a tube of KY in my toolbox! 

By Richandall on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:59 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

So, sticky sidewalls not a problem unless resulting from unnatural act involving Superbike models....

And I can use WD40 instead of proprietary chain wax/oil?

Is there anything about this in Robert Pirsig's 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'??

Or are the new gurus all inhabiting cyberspace?

By Richandall on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:07 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

I see Pirsig's out there now too

HTML text and download text

HTML text

By Richandall on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:09 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

I see a duplicate post out there too 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:32 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Best to use a good quality chain lube as this will give your sprockets an easier time of it, or even better...fit a scottoiler  

By Racerxlilbro on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:33 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

...or a Rene airbox kit... 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation