What the hell was that??

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: What the hell was that??
By Ronnie on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 04:55 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Interested to see how we have modified the rear ends of our Falco wonderbikes.
After all,when we blast past the plastic rockets this is all they see.Best to make an impression methinks!
Ronnie-My Image- 

By John1000 on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 07:31 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Nice ass. 

By Andyjfalco on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 08:54 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Mez3's??? YUCH.  

By Ronnie on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 10:49 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Yea Andy I know,was tempted to remove the rear wheel for the pic!Sorry about that.
2000 miles and it is ready to be replaced by a BT012ss.
The piece of hardened bakelite on the front has to go too.
Dont rub it in ffs!!

Ronnie

By Thumpermanuk on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:40 am:  View Thumpermanuk's Profile Search for other posts by Thumpermanuk Edit this post

so what is it made up from? (cans,etc.)  

By Ronnie on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:48 pm:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Just the high level Falco Fighter pipes,Evoluzione license plate bracket.Rene airbox of course but keep it hidden under the tank!
Ronnie 

By Apriliafool on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:09 am:  View Apriliafool's Profile Search for other posts by Apriliafool Edit this post

Ronnie, have you mounted your exhausts slightly outwards to clear the indicators and the "wider-than-normal" no.plate?
My set were ordered from RSVR.net about two weeks ago but haven't made their way to Oz yet. My plan is to adapt the Falco luggage brackets to fit once the fighter exhausts are fitted but if this is the degree to which they protrude as standard then I may have to fit a "Wide Load" sticker.
If the photo you posted was of a standard fitment then is there any way that the exhausts can be mounted more inwards?
A photo of the actual exhaust attachment point to the rear sub-frame would be very useful to me so I can fabricate some bracketry to move them in a little if necessary. Perhaps you or pbeachcruzer would be able to accommodate this request.
P.S. How's the weather back in good ol' N.I.?  

By Ronnie on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 12:49 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Hiya
number plate is stock width (letters are small) and exhausts are as standard. Brackets supplied are fiddly and if you try to move the pipes in closer they will rotate slightly.
There is adjustment but the main problem is the rear footpeg bracket.If this is not used then the pipes would be an easier fit.
If you like I can measure the between centres distance on the exhuast cans.
Weather is bloody icy here! Falco soon get wrapped up for the winter.
Ronnie  

By Apriliafool on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:33 am:  View Apriliafool's Profile Search for other posts by Apriliafool Edit this post

Thanks Ronnie, that would be great. I would appreciate measurememts for what you suggested and also the "inner wall to inner wall" distance as well (essentially the closest distance between the two exhausts), if you see where I am coming from. Also I need to know roughly how much the outer wall of the exhausts extends widthwise past the rear bodywork so I can work out if my idea of adapting the luggage racks to fit is a non-starter or not.
One last thing - did you notice if the running temp of the exhausts was warmer/cooler/the same as the original cans?
As ever,TIA.
A. FOOL  

By Ronnie on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 04:27 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Hi Fool!
Did a few measurements.
Exhaust dimensions. Exhausts are almost diamond shaped. Measurements at end of pipe : height 150mm width (widest point) 95mm.
Total width measured from one outside of can to other = 510mm so taking 2x95 off = 320mm
The exhausts more or less run parallel with the lines of the bike.The widest point is between the centres of the passenger footrests and = 590mm.
The endcap of the rear can (upper surface) ends in a straight line drawn down just below the allen screw of the rear grab rail.At the widest point of the bodywork the can extends about 30mm beyond that.
The exhausts are never warm on the carbon surfaces.The endcap can get a bit hot tho.
Also,I think they are very quiet! Others have told me different but I think it is the Renegade airbox that makes the most noise.
Hope it helps!

Ronnie  

By Apriliafool on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 09:39 pm:  View Apriliafool's Profile Search for other posts by Apriliafool Edit this post

Thanks Ronnie, you're a gent. RSVR.net are posting them out tomorrow (28/10) so they might be here for next w/end, failing that the following w/end.
The 30 mm is the most important measurement and I believe it should be possible to bring them in a little and space the racks out a bit to get everything to fit. I'll be sure to post pics when (not if) it's done.
All the best, A. Fool.
P.S. got me head well sunburnt trekking in the Grampians this w/end. Our N. Ireland heads just aren't built to take this sort of Ozzie weather.  

By Johnl on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:21 pm:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi Ronnie

Nice one, but I don`t think we can do that with UK plates (letter size and spacing) unless anyone knows different ?  

By Prilliant on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 10:28 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

John1,

That is a UK plate. Just a rather small one. We seem to be able to get away with plates and pipes a lot more here in Northern Ireland. Never been pulled yet. Now does that sound like famous last words or what? 

By Johnl on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 12:14 pm:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi Prilliant

Ceratinly sets the bike off well. I did build a fender elininator but checked out the specs on the gov site. I thought it best not to attract bogies as I already have RSC cans attached. But iof it works for you do it.

johnl  

By Hansie on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:30 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Hansie TNT

Ive got a tailpiece made by Pikfee. Diffecult to fit the lights. Blinkers are integrated in the brakelights. No problems with the law (yet!)

Hansie 

By Sffalco on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:31 pm:  View Sffalco's Profile Search for other posts by Sffalco Edit this post

Hey Hansie,
WOW!!!! that is one beautiful tailsection. Do you have anymore photos??. Does pikfee have a website??  

By Hansie on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:24 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Yesmore!
even more
I dont have a adres or someting but he's (was?) a regular visitor here. 

By Iedoubleyou on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 01:35 am:  View Iedoubleyou's Profile Search for other posts by Iedoubleyou Edit this post

You can reach him at pikfee@belgacom.net
Mounting the lights indeed wasn't easy but 2 brackets eventualy did the job.
Don't have a picture at this moment, but try to make and post one this weekend. 

By Johnl on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:51 am:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi Hansie

Nice photos but no rear reflector ?? sorry to be picky.  

By Hansie on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:47 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

A what? Reflector? No need for that! The licenseplate reflecs to good already.

The licenseplatelight is gone to you know Gonna fit some LED's this winter , normal bulbs go kaput.

As I said : no problems with the law and they seen it a few times already also in the dark.

Why fix it if you can leave it away?

Hansie 

By Johnl on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:05 pm:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi Hansie

I removed the reflector on a bike I had some time ago and couldn`t get it through the MOT. As for the plate light illuminator, I went to the scrap yard and got a selection off numerous vehicles. Very easy to fit inside the seat area and illuminate downwards.  

By Iedoubleyou on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:38 pm:  View Iedoubleyou's Profile Search for other posts by Iedoubleyou Edit this post

As promissed a picture of the bracket holding the backlights in the Pikfee-tail.
It was around 22.30 so I'm afraid they are a little dark.

Falco achterzijde
Falco Beugel 

By Sffalco on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 05:34 pm:  View Sffalco's Profile Search for other posts by Sffalco Edit this post

Wow dude...your bike looks SWEEEEET!!!! Did that come painted?? Does it stick out further than the stock lights? Last one is there a horizontal seam like on the stock piece?? Good job...The tail section is my only gripe with the falco and you have it solved. My bike is the same year and color as yours. Those Renes look great too!  

By Hansie on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:18 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Nice one Ed ,wrong color only!

Hansie 

By Iedoubleyou on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:28 am:  View Iedoubleyou's Profile Search for other posts by Iedoubleyou Edit this post

Thanks
Yes, I bought the part painted.
No, it doesn't stick further out.
Pikfee used the original parts and filled up the missing holes and if you ask me he did a great job.
My only modifications were cutting of 10 mm of the studs where the original rail was mounted (got two spacers from Pikfee witch I can add were I to mount the rail back again) drilling two holes and bending two aluminium brackets for mounting the lights.
(I don't understand what you mean with your last question ) 

By Dave on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 06:01 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

does anyone have pikfee's contact details? Or Pikfee, can you contact me pls

Cheers  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 06:36 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

c-l-i-c-k m-eeeeeeeeeeeeee 

By Dave on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:04 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

"you are my sunshine..."

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:30 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

"thats why Im eeaaasy, easy like Sunday mooooorniiiiing"...

By Dave on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 07:34 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

I didn't want to know that  

By Johnl on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 07:05 am:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

For uk bikers the plates are illegal and no reflector to boot. It will also invalidate you insurance. I don`t wish to be a kill joy but simply pointing out the facts, sorry lads  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 07:33 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Kill Joy! 

By Johnl on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 07:47 am:  View Johnl's Profile Search for other posts by Johnl Edit this post

Hi CRMC33

I`m not trying to be a kill joy, its just that I don`t want 3 points and a big fine ?

Simple advice really, check the laws in your country. However the end result of the smaller plate does look very good indeed. 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:12 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

no such thing as a small plate here in sausageland. Thats the trick of having your MOT expiry date on your plate 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation