Topline bellypan

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Topline bellypan
By Islefalco on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:32 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

I have just put my new bellypan on. I bought it from rsvr, price £89.99 and it arrived when they said it would, no probs. The instructions are in French, and as I don't speak any French this was a slight problem. I found some instructions on the rsvr site, which were OK until I reached step 6 of 7 and discovered I had to drill a hole in a lug on the frame, which could not be done with the bellypan in situ, resulting in steps 1-6 being retraced. "Oh dear, what a nuisance" I said.

The bracket required to fix the rear right hand side of the bellypan (which also requires the drilled hole in the lug) is the wrong shape to fit at the angle necessary, this needed some modification with a file. One of the holes at the front of the bellypan does not align properly with the thread at the top of the oil cooler. I could not get the last allen screw in - this will necessitate the hole in the bellypan being slightly enlargened. I will get this done later.

The local paintshop managed to get the Aprilia paint chip, but the colour match is not perfect. The bellypan is lighter. I have been convinced for a time that the yellow paint on the bike is getting deeper in colour as time passes. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this - or is it just a figment of my imagination??

I want to get some red Aprilia transfer decals - does anyone know where these can be sourced?.

1,Falco with bellypan.jpg 

By Islefalco on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:47 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Try again with the picture. Had to resize it and ran out of time.

Falcobellypan 

By Oldgit on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:32 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Islefalco, I would say that the yellow falco is much enhanced by your belly pan,

never did think the 2k falco looked so good with the side panel in black but your,s looks great now. (just a personal thing)

Try using some T/cut or similar to get your paint to come up lighter on the top.

The falco decals are availiable from Aprilia, mine took about 10 days to arrive, you get the whole kit with every decal and sticker you ever wanted but at a price, just a bit over £110  

By Litre1 on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:44 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Or, some copy-cat decal makers are selling decals on eBay for cheap. You might try them. If they aren't selling the color you want, they can usually make it--that's what I was told anyway.  

By John1000 on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 02:08 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

I�ve a yellow one can�t say I have noticed it getting darker. I have noticed the under-coat showing through around the petrol cap.
And not caused by me (don�t ask). Lets just say Motor Sh*%y.  

By Ronnie on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 09:44 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Also have the Topline,bought from Rhencullen,fully painted.Was bloody dear (ouch).
Had to cut part of the bottom out of it to clear the front exhaust pipe.It is a pretty tight fit.Araldited some brass honeycomb mesh into it to protect the oil cooler.
Finishes the bike off really well.
Ronnie  

By Ronnie on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 09:48 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Pic enclosed-My Image- 

By Islefalco on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 02:23 pm:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Hmmm...
Went out on the bike this afternoon and smelt burning plastic/fibreglass. Had a look underneath. The fibreglass is not touching the pipe but is close. I estimate about 5mm. The fibreglass was hot to the touch.

I think another slight adjustment is going to be required, involving cutting away a part of the bellypan closest to the exhaust. As this is on the underside, it will not be visible, but a pain in the ass none the less.  

By Ronnie on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 03:46 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

So awkward posting images! Moderator links dont work for help so will try again! -My Image- 

By Oldgit on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 04:54 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Nice Ronnie, did you have any problems with burning? after seeing decent pictures of this mod I am tempted. PS ,I read again, see you also had to modify. 

By Pbeachcruzer on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 08:18 am:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

and i thought i would be the first to post a red one!!!-My Image- 

By Islefalco on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 12:50 pm:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Ronnie,

What mods did you have to do to your pan - particulalrly in the exhaust area?
Cheers,
IF  

By Ronnie on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 01:46 pm:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Basically I took a slice out of the base following the shape of the exhaust. My pan would not fit at all due to hitting the exhaust. Removed the exhaust and found it fitted ok so knew the mounts were in the right place.
Length I cut out was about a 9 inches long and half an inch wide.Cant be seen from the side but can when wheelying! Exhaust has better clearance now (about quarter inch) so less chance of burning.
Tapped frame lug 6mm and used Nyloc locknut on suspension bracket mount.
Used a hacksaw blade taken out of the hacksaw frame to cut it.
B&Q supplied the brass mesh.

Ronnie  

By Islefalco on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 02:04 pm:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Cheers Ronnie. I'm going to be cutting it tomorrow, but no rush the forecast is rain and wind for the next few days.

I'm sort of pissed off about having to modify it. I did read somewhere - probably on the thread about techonoflex shocks, that the exhaust systems differ bike to bike. I can't see why that should be with mass production manufacturing, but it may explain the need to mod the bellypan. My attempts at trying to get one of the front allen screws through a misaligned hole on the pan have resulted in one of the threads at the top of the oil cooler being messed up. Another fix required. I thought the bellypan was supposed to be a 30 minute fit......  

By Pbeachcruzer on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 02:33 pm:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

what did you guys have to modify? i have had no problems with my topline except for clearance where the shift rod is. all i had to do was readjust the bracket on the left side. no cutting. no exhaust too close or anything.  

By Pmcc2002 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 02:43 am:  View Pmcc2002's Profile Search for other posts by Pmcc2002 Edit this post

Like you Pbeachcruzer I had no mods to do except fiddle with the bracket on the right side. It fits perfectly. The only downside is having to put clear backing on the area facing the front wheel due to stone chipping.  

By Litre1 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 05:23 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Hey, Ronnie! Nice bike! I hope the guy with the Harley doesn't get mad that you took his parking spot! I guess he'll have to find another place to park his oil leak!

By Ronnie on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:52 pm:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

He can park it anywhere he likes as long as it doesnt get too close. Dont want them to breed.

Harley Falcoson sounds kinda mutated.

Ronnie  

By Pbeachcruzer on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 05:41 pm:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

the oil leak is water (just washed the purple yota) and it wasnt ronnies bike. sorry for the confusion  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:34 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Doh! Guess I need to read through these things a little more carefully! Are you guys trying to look identical? Cause it's working. I like the look of the streetfighter cans. I can't decide about the bellypan, though. I think I like Peter's better, right Exdukenut?  

By Tokas on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 08:52 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

I too prefer Peter's bellypan. I just can't decide to buy one or not.

Here's his adress if you want to query: Peter Pikfee (Any kick-back, Peter? )

-My Image-

-My Image-

-My Image- 

By Litre1 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 09:30 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

He's also got carbon fibre windscreens like the one shown above. It is shorter than the stock screen and cleans up the lines a lot. Those 2 items are my next purchases.  

By Tokas on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:46 pm:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

And he also got carbon front fender, mudguard, pillion cowl, rear lamp housing, toe protectors, crash guards...  

By Falco9 on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 01:11 am:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

I've just ordered and received Peter's belly pan & crash protectors, (took a couple of weeks)dealing directly with Peter was fine, but the quality of his parts is outstanding, crash protectors fitted straight on (bit fiddly with the left hand mount )and look great and the belly pan uses the original 6 mounting points so no extra work involved. Looks great and lined up perfectly. One happy customer!. I'd reccomend him to anyone  

By Iedoubleyou on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 02:03 am:  View Iedoubleyou's Profile Search for other posts by Iedoubleyou Edit this post

If anyone is interested in a "Pikfee" bellypan, I have on in Falco Black for sale.
I had it mounted for a half year but removed it after an oil leak.
Didn't mount it afterward because I like the bike better half naked.
For any serous offer it's yours.  

By Falcorob on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:00 pm:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

How much?
Drop me a line.

Rob  

By Iedoubleyou on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:41 am:  View Iedoubleyou's Profile Search for other posts by Iedoubleyou Edit this post

Hello Rob,

I send a mail incl. pictures to the e-mail adress mentioned in your profile.  

By Adrian on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 01:30 am:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

Pbeachcruzer, where did you get yours from? Did it come painted? If not did you paint it?

thanks,  

By Pbeachcruzer on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 06:33 am:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

it came from the online store at apriliaforum.com. it is made by a company called topline. it comes unpainted. i had a friend of mine color match the bike and spray it. real pain in the ass since aprilia wont release their paint codes.  

By Dave on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 08:50 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

anyone unfortunate enough to have tested Peter's crash bobbins?  

By Islefalco on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 10:05 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Got the bellypan sorted, eventually. It is now properly fixed on, the right colour and looks the dogs danglies.

Not tested any crash bobbins. Last time I crashed there wouldn't have been a bobbibn made that could have protected it. No half measures here!  

By Aviator� on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 12:14 pm:  View Aviator�'s Profile Search for other posts by Aviator� Edit this post

I wonder if I could sucessfully match the matte black on the '02.. hrm...  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 01:59 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Check the RSV forum for that.

-Keith  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation