Winter is coming & I need some new tyres

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Winter is coming & I need some new tyres
By Molan on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 06:59 am:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Hi there Falco owners,

I live in the UK & use my bike nearly every day on a 40 mile each way commute.

As the rainy season now seems to be upon us I've noticed that my Avon tyres (I think they are Azaro Sports - must check!) seem very jittery in the wet.

Simple everyday things like cats eyes on the motorway seem to become an obstacle in the wet (yes, I know I could just concentrate on avoiding them but it's not always that easy in the rush hour on the M4!).

Anyone got any recommendations for good winter tyres? I'm more interested in the best grip I can get even if it's going to cost me - I've just bought some Oz wheels from an RSV-R owner so should realy clad them in something appropriate....  

By Andyjfalco on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:57 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

010's are excelent in the wet and they last well. The press say the 012's are even better as they warm up very quickly.
Andy.

By Prilliant on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:18 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Michelin Macadams are great in the wet, last forever and cost about bugger all. I put one on the rear of my Falco with a long tour in mind. The thing lasted 10,000 miles.  

By Befbever on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:55 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

BT-012 SS offers excellent grip in the wet. I did lose some grip in torrential downpour this week, but I was doing over 130 mph at the time.

I'm almost tempted to brake as late as I do in dry weather. If you don't hear from me for a couple of weeks that means I tried it and it didn't work.

By Carlo on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:52 am:  View Carlo's Profile Search for other posts by Carlo Edit this post

I can vouch for Michelin Macadams, not using to commute but they have been no problem when caught in heavy rain conditions.  

By Andyjfalco on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:09 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Is it just me then? If it's raining, no go out on bike. That's what tin boxes are for.
Tyre choice is never determined by wet weather performance.  

By Benw on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:15 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Must just be you!

Some of us have some decent mileages on their Falcos...

B 

By Befbever on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 06:27 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

If it's raining, no go out on bike

Sounds just like a Mille owner.

By Dave on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 10:33 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Nothing like a good soaking - one piece is layed out on the floor sodden from the bollox down, and my Sidi's have lost all pretence of being waterproof - think its time I recommission me old sidi motocrossers, look good with the Falco eh

010's and 207 rr's year round, probably try the 012's next. 

By Fastrider on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 02:37 pm:  View Fastrider's Profile Search for other posts by Fastrider Edit this post

Glad someone else has asked this questions
I have just changed from Pilot Sports (which I found had great grip in the bends [when dry] once I got used to em!), to 207RR. I rode down to work last weekend in the pissing rain/spray and they seemed to work very well. My jacket on the other hand thought it was funny to offer no waterproofing protection at all.
As for BT010's, I think they may be the next to go on when the D207RR's square off, just wish Price Buster's would get some in the size I need and at the same price as the 207's (140 GBP). 

By Dean0612 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 06:57 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

So I can get the 207RR's for GBP140 from Busters and there's an ad in MCN this week for a place called Budget Tyres in Battersea that offer BT010's for GBP164.90. Considering the facts (I use the bike mainly for commuting now the British winter is here and I ride like a jessy anyway) I think the little extra for the BT010's is going to be a saving in tyre wear (my commute is straight down the M4 and back again - the closest I get to the edge of the tyre is when I put the bike on its sidestand) and better long-term wet weather grip.

However, I've just seen that FWR are doing 1 front and 2 rear Avon Azaro 2's for GBP199 and this is where I get indecisive. Does anyone have an opinion on the Avons? Are they more of a racer's tyre, in which case they'll probably be a bit extreme for me right now?

Cheers,
Dean  

By Molan on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 01:31 pm:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Hi Dean,

Straight down the M4 every day? Where from? I've been doing that route every morning for most of the "summer".

Molan  

By Dean0612 on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 04:47 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Molan,

Reply sent to hotmail address in your profile.

Dean.  

By Oldgit on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:10 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

I think it's worth pointing out that winter tyres should have more ability to shift water fast, so using sports tyers like BT10 good as they are will always loos out to BT20, the front tyre has simply more groves for that reason, as do most touring tyers,  

By Molan on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 02:26 pm:  View Molan's Profile Search for other posts by Molan Edit this post

Umm, have just "inherited" a new(ish) 207RR rear which came with a wheel, hugger, sprocket, disc, chain guard & fittings from a Mille.

All I wanted was the swing arm but the rest came along with it for more or less the price I was prepared for the swing arm!

Maybe I'll buy a front to match & see how I get on with them... 

By Falco9 on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 03:18 pm:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

My Falco came already fitted with brand new Avons (AV45 & 46), and although they wouldn't have been my first choice,I have to admit so far so good, and in the wet they have been faultless. 2,000 miles on them so far and the wear rate is pretty slow, in the dry though the rear runs to edge way before anything starts to touch down, which is a little worrying as I always feel i'm going to run out of tyre.
Nether the less I reckon they'd be a great winter choice, and lots of tyre distributors are doing good deals on them at present  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation