Tires opinion. Tell me what to put

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Tires opinion. Tell me what to put
By Falconas on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 11:16 am:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

In 3-4 days i am going to put new tires.
I am going to put one of :

PIRELLI - Dragon Supercorsa
DUNLOP - 208ZR
MICHELIN - Pilot Sport
METZELER - Sportec M-1
BRIDGESTONE - BT-012SS

But unfortunately i 've never used one of these before, so i really need your help.
Give your opinion on any of those, even better if you use them already on the Falco.
Any advise will be very much appreciated.
Thanks 

By Scotty on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:13 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

How is your bike used??? Just for fun? Bothered about cost?

This dramatically changes the tyres that you might want to use.

For example I live in the UK (we have rain and cold weather) and use my bike year round for commuting as well as for fun.
Therefore I need a tyre that works well in the wet, hot or cold temps and lasts a bit long than track tyres.

BTW I currently run a Sportec M1 on the front and 020 rear (which will be changed ver soon) to a M1 on the back.
I'm guessing that the M1 rear will not last as long as the 020 rear which has lasted forever!

Are you still on Metz3s at the moment?
If so I'd personally give the Brigestone 010s a go first... fitted these after METZ3... they are top tyres.. only changed to 020 rear after 010 was destroyed by a puncture.
Either 010s or the Sportec M1s would be my suggestion.  

By Falconas on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:38 am:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

Yes, you 're right. I sould explain some more.
I am in Greece, so i never ride the Falco in the wet(rain) because i use it only for fun(not work) and we don't have many rains either.
So i want a tire with good grip in dry, warm up fast and capable for track days. I don't mind change a couple of times it's year in order to have good GRIP than to last long.
Yes i am still on the MEZ3 , so i guess whatever i put, it will be better.
I had 010's on my previous bike (Bandit 600S) and they were very good but i would like a more triangular tire in order to turn in and change direction quicker. 

By Litre1 on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:55 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Turn in is excellent on the 012SS's, as is grip. 200% better turn in than the Z3's. I highly recommend them. I was able to get lower in the corner with confidence than I ever have before. I went straight from the Z3's, so I haven't tried out the other tires.  

By Befbever on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:01 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Same here, the BT-012 SS warms up really well and turns in great. Had D207's before. Nice but not in the same league as the Bridgestones.

I did discover today that strong gusts of wind make the bike more nervous now than before. The torrential downpour made it very interesting as well. Woohoo! My kind of weather!

\clipart {certifiable} 

By John1000 on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:54 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

BT-012 SS are my choice.

By Andyjfalco on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:54 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Avon Azaro's are reported to be very good and they have quite a pronounced triangular profile.
I run 010's and they are very good but 012's will be next for me.
Andy.

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:29 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

No matter what anyone else says, M1 Sportecs are the best. I am always right.

/clipart{getmecoatandrun} 

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 03:08 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Except when you try to use clipart eh?  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 03:13 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I dont know what you mean?

/clipart{haventgotaclue} 

By Geo on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 07:27 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Comparing 012s to 010s is like comparing Dunlops to Michelins (there's no family ressemblance.  

By Scotty on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:58 pm:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Anyway I'm intending to complete my Sportec M1 set by getting a new rear fitted tomorrow to complement the front M1 I already have fitted.  

By Scotty on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:36 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Now running Sportec M1s Front and Rear  

By 10451238 on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:00 pm:  View 10451238's Profile Search for other posts by 10451238 Edit this post

No question, the Bridgestones. I'd go for the BT 010 though. More durable and better wet weather grip.  

By Oldgit on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:32 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

I have run Pilot's from day one because that's what my bike came with, I have to say I found them very good road tyres wet or dry, they also give good mileage, never had a problem or a puncture, wish I hadn't said that Truth is any of the leading sports tyres do the job on the road. M1's and Bt10 look like the favourites here.  

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:12 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

I just bought new 010's...getting them mounted today. I got about 2600 miles out of them, and they are well and truly SHAGGED! However, a good 1400 miles was on the centers going between LA and Monterey, twice...It also includes a track day...If you subtract the freeway riding, it's probably more like 1800 or so...  

By Wlk303 on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:11 pm:  View Wlk303's Profile Search for other posts by Wlk303 Edit this post

I'm currently running the stock MEZ3s but have M1s on order. I want to try that knee draggin' stuff at the next track day but have been reluctant because of the negative feedback on the stock MEZ3s. Are they really all that bad? Mine only have about 2k mi. but I'm ready to change just for the piece of mind if nothing else. 

By Falcokev on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:34 am:  View Falcokev's Profile Search for other posts by Falcokev Edit this post

Falconas, you mentioned track days and expecting to replace the tyres a couple of times a year.

Given that you're in Greece with little rain I'd go for Metzeler Rennsports.

Grip at the track is soooo much better than BT010's. The front is particularly good, with a minimum tendency to run wide in corners, even under braking.

FalcoKev  

By Litre1 on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:24 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Warren, the Falco is my first sportbike, so it was my first experience with sport-size tires. The Z3's didn't seem all that bad to me, so I rode them out. Once I mounted the 012's, I wished I had taken the Z3's off before leaving the showroom! It is a world of difference, and I am sure the 010's, the 208's, and the M-1's are all a huge leap in comparison to the Z3's!  

By Jcc273 on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:00 am:  View Jcc273's Profile Search for other posts by Jcc273 Edit this post

I loved the m1's until the recent cold snap around here ( 30-40F ). I pushed the front twice last week. The first time caught me completely by surprise and I'm still not sure how I managed to save it.
Tire pressure is good, I had been riding for ~20 min., and I was on the gas (slightly) round a corner I've taken at least 10mph faster.

I've little confidence in them now, and there's a peculiar ridge in the middle of my saddle.....
-Jim 

By Falconas on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:41 am:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

Thanks guys for your responses.
I put 012SS's and made about 1000Km already. The feeling is great, just have to adjust my riding to the faster turn in. Their grip is very well, heat up well and quick, bike now don't have the tendency to wide the turning line, only they don't feel very stable under heavy braking. Also the wear seems good enough for the philosophy of the tire. Anyway they are high recommended.
I hope you can understand something of my perfect English 

By Wlk303 on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:24 pm:  View Wlk303's Profile Search for other posts by Wlk303 Edit this post

Litre1, the Falco is my first sportbike too. I had a 900 Monster with 207s but ground clearance was the limiting factor. The Falco is a great all around bike that will only see an occasional track day but now I feel that the Z3s will have to go.
Goodbye MEZ3s, Hello Sportecs, I mean 012s, uh Renns, ... 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation