Staintune cans

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Staintune cans
By Redlionfalco on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 01:25 am:  View Redlionfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redlionfalco Edit this post

Has anyone had experience of Staintune cans? They are Australian and have a reputation for a high quality product, which comes in stainless steel with the added bonus of removable decibal eaters to quieten them if desired. Information on fit, quality, sound and loudness would be much appreciated. Cheers.  

By Nathan on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 01:07 am:  View Nathan's Profile Search for other posts by Nathan Edit this post

Redlion - I have a pair of Staintunes on my 2001 Falco. They have been around here in Australia for quite a few years and have a very good name so far as I am aware. They were certainly the must have addition for any Ducati for years. Things have changed a little over the last few years as more imported pipes, carbon pipes etc. have become available. The fit is easy and perfect. The stainless finish is as good as I've ever seen. The sound - well that's always a bit tricky. Once I got over the initial shock from having switched from a BMW K1200 RS, which sounded like an electric wheelchair, I fell for them head over heels. After about a week I took the bungs and flung them in the garage where they've remained since. I think they're pretty loud but I don't care. Maybe they get a bit droney on a long boring stretch but I'm happy with them. However, Falcos are so few on the ground over here that I must say I haven't really had a chance to properly compare them with the RSC cans or any of the others back-to-back. Hope this helps.  

By Steeltoe on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:26 pm:  View Steeltoe's Profile Search for other posts by Steeltoe Edit this post

I have 'Tunes and love em.
I tried them with the restrictors out. It was WAY TOO LOUD for my tastes. I put them back in, and just love the deep and rumbly sound. Also, if you do not care for the high mount look of most of the other aftermarket cans, you should like the classy look of the polished Staintunes.
I believe they are also about tops on the dyno, but I could be wrong. 

By Exdukenut on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:54 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Nathan, wherabouts are you in Australia? I'm in Sydney (north near Hornsby). Always enjoy catching up with fellow Falconeers.

By Nathan on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:18 pm:  View Nathan's Profile Search for other posts by Nathan Edit this post

Ex, I'm in Melbourne, in the middle of all of those great roads that you enjoyed on your GP loop. I'm not expecting to be much further north for a while than Thredbo, hopefully over x-mas/new year. No doubt you'll be down this way again next year. Maybe we'll catch up then.  

By Exdukenut on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:52 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

You should drop Kerryc from this board, a line, another Falconeer, and a Melbournite to boot. I'm sure he's up for a ride.  

By Nathan on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:57 pm:  View Nathan's Profile Search for other posts by Nathan Edit this post

I thought he might have been from around these parts. We'll definitely have to catch up.  

By Falcohell on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:50 am:  View Falcohell's Profile Search for other posts by Falcohell Edit this post

I am in Canberra Australia and also have Staintune mufflers on my Falco.

I have actually been running them without the restrictors in place until yesterday. (I replaced the restrictors due to a Police "safety blitz" that started locally this week targetting motorcycles - yea right !). Up until yesterday I had done about 3000kms without the restrictors and found it loud but nice.

I must say that they are a quality item. Mine were installed by the dealer without issue but did arrive with a small "dent" in them. (I assume this happened in transit or during fitment).

With the restrictors removed they are not as loud as the RSC's which was on the test bike I rode, but with restrictors in place also emit a pleasant note. I think I will leave the restrictors in place for the time being.

People told me that the Staintunes produced the least power increase, but I was pleasantly surprised after fittment that the bike felt a bit crisper. I recently added a FIM chip and this seems to be well matched to the Staintune pipes - especially so with the restrictors in place but this may just be my imagination over the last 2 days !

As a side issue, I have read where some guys have modified their removable restrictors to have a note somewhere between inserted and removed if you know what I mean. I havent tried this yet, but Staintune sell replacement restrictors for $25 so you can practice on a set and keep the original ones as well.

All up - a good purchase if you after something not as loud as the other pipes.

Ian  

By Redlionfalco on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:28 am:  View Redlionfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redlionfalco Edit this post

Thanks for the advice chaps, you've all confirmed pretty much what I already thought. Apart from the obvious superior quality, fully welded construction and welded mounting point, I also very much like the idea of getting the noise restrictors as standard. Also they are on special offer here in the UK until end Nov for £399. I think I'll wait and see what comes up at the NEC bike show before ordering.  

By Nathan on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:20 pm:  View Nathan's Profile Search for other posts by Nathan Edit this post

400 squid! Sounds a bit steep. I think I paid about $900 Australian, which would be about 300 in your language, and which included the restrictors as standard. Have you tried their website? I don't know where it would finish up after taking into account duty and GST etc. but it might be worth a try. I think it is staintune.com.au.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation