BBPower

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: BBPower
By Chuzo on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:56 pm:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

I am considering buying a BBPower EPROM.

What I have read seems good but the amount of independent info. is scant.

Anybody using one that could elaborate more on this chip?

Would I need to get new cans ? (I love the stealthy sound of the original cans)

Thanks for your help.  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:33 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

BBPower can program a chip with a map for your road cans and a map for race cans.

I run a Stage 3 BBPower chip. THis has a map for std engine with race cans and a map for tuned engines with race exhaust (richer). I run the leanest of the two maps as it seems to work the best even with the Rene airkit.
The chip also works better than the OE chip does with the quiet cans. This is probably due to the 5K flat spot being iradicated.

Overall, I would recommend a BBPower chip. It produces a good spread of power with no hiccups and requires non of the farting about with CO trim pots that certain other chips might. Unfortunately Ive not dynoed my bike but 169mph cant be bad!

Best thing to do is to contact Bernhard at BBPower and discuss your requirements. His email and tel number is on the website. www.bbpower.de  

By Dave on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 02:48 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

what final ratio you using there Crmc?

I've not had it all the way up, been to low 140's a few times. It doesn't struggle to get there but I don't think there's a huge amount left, but then I'm usually doing a rollon in top. Rene's & airkit, 15 front, 41 rear.

Just calculated that if I'm doing 100mph at 6300rpm then at 10,000rpm I'd be doing 159 and if it toped out, 167.
With std gearing (16:41), 10,000 = 167 and 10500 = 175.
So with my gearing I could just about see 169, IF it toped out and given the fact that the speedo is about 1% optimistic. With std gearing in theory 175 is possible but to top out to achieve that is gonna take more power...

All totally rhetorical of course.
So Crmc, my brain hurts now! I'm guessing your on 15:141 as you've got the roads...  

By Dave on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 02:55 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Chuzo, appologies for wandering off topic I was happy with the results from the Renegade chip that came with the cans(hehe - earning me dinner tomorrow ) so can't comment on the BBPower... 

By Crmc33 on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 03:04 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

sechzehn - zwei und vierzig on Germanic concrete

16-42 is the magic figure.
Doubt that itll go a much faster on std gearing. I need a TNT and higher gearing and more gradient for anymore I think!

Y2K Falco
Stage 3 BBPower EPROM
Renegade hairkit
tyres @ 4000psi (276 bar)
Slick 50
Sludge 90
Linn power amplifier
Powergen HT leads
White/blue/red/purple rear led light bulbs
Helium impregnated wheels (anodized gold)
Titanium everything

Fairly standard really. 

By Dave on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 03:46 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

ah! same as I had initially - very slight improvement, but as power goes up the less the ratio needs modified to get similar results. Plus your own taste of course.

Now, I'm scared to ask this but, Slick 50 and Sludge 90 - wots them fings 'en???

White/blue/red/purple rear led light bulbs  

By Crmc33 on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 04:23 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Slick 50 is that clever product that mysteriously clings to your engine internal and coats then with frying pan teflon. Doesnt make your clutch slip either. In fact it makes sod all difference.
Good for Superdream/VF750 camshafts tho!
Sludge 90 is the name of Joe 90's dog If I remember right?

Forgot to mention that I also have(nt) got the following

Micron frock brace
allspeed exhausts
chrome rad cover
ace bars
raask rearsets
CNCed ECU

Can you tell its Friday afternoon?

By Befbever on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 08:03 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

My secret is downhill, tail wind, café in sight.

Had it up to er...I forget, think it was 258 kph or summink. I'm doing 230, 240 kph on a regular basis, this is slightly uphill and always with a rucksack. I'm on my third Tupperware breadbox now. Damn zippers .

The old thing does 262 kph on the dyno tho. 16-42. Better on the neck muscles this way.

By Chuzo on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 03:44 pm:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

Thanks very much for the input. It would be great if they could map it for the std. cans (my own preference).

Dave, you don't have to apologize. These wandering off topic things many times contain more useful info.

Now I have to contact them to see how I pay from Louisiana.  

By Litre1 on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 10:02 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Chuzo, let us know what you find out. I am interested in the same setup you have, and I would like to strengthen the power drop around 5k rpm.  

By Crmc33 on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 03:20 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

You should be able to find a good setup with a BBPower chip, my stage 3 chip runs very well with my quiet cans. No dips in power just smooooth torque all the way from 2000rpm to infinity! 

By Chuzo on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 07:26 am:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

Litre1, I will report as soon as I make the change and test the bike (Falco R 2002).

Now I have a question for Crmc33. You said that the stage 3 provides a smooth torque band but looking at the dyno graphics in the BBPower site it seems that the stage 3 produces a deeper dip in both hp and torque between 4.8K and 5.0K.
I noticed that the run was with a MILLE R exhaust system (I didn't know you could use this in a Falco). Do you mean that with the standard cans this dip is gone or decreased?

Just food for thoughts.  

By Crmc33 on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 10:48 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I havent dynoed my bike just seat of the pants stuff.
I fitted my chip with the race cans and it ran very well. Then I fitted the airkit and it ran even better. I then went onto run the bike with the OE cans and expected it to run poorly but it didnt, it ran very well with no noticeable dips in the power. I think this maybe cos the BBPower chip has improved fuelling and ignition timing compared to the OE chip, particularly at 5000rpm when the OE chip is strangling the motor to keep emissions and noise down.
I bought my chip when there were less choices around. Bernard at BBP will place whatever maps you want onto the chip. One for race cans, and one for road cans. When I bought mine this was not the case.
My feeling is that there maybe chips that offer more top end power than the BBP one but its difficult to tell as it may be that the chip gives such good midrange that the top end feels weaker than some. My top speed figure also backs this argument up.
When I bought my chip I was also swung by the fact that my dealer advised me that BBPower had developed many chips for them for Bimota EFI systems. I have no regrets tho, the fuelling of the bike feels very good now with none of the snatchiness that other riders have complained of, and no need for special setting up after fitting the chip.  

By Adrian on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:03 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

Just put in a BBpower eprom last week that was shipped from Germany to the U.S.. It had two mappings on it and I have stock cans. The flat spot is gone, a lot more low and mid range horsepower, smoother throttle off/on into corners, and at constant speed the bike seems to be going the same speed as before but at about 500 less rpms. very nice work. Also, I didn't have to do anything fiddly to adjust my idle.
regards  

By Hansie on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:30 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Quote:

and at constant speed the bike seems to be going the same speed as before but at about 500 less rpms

This is strange because the drive ratio didnt change???Are you sure about this?

Hansie 

By Powermaster on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:42 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Hansie, stop it  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:48 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I think what Adrian is trying to say is that the chip makes the bike run smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation