Worn coolant reservoir cap

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Worn coolant reservoir cap
By Chuzo on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:45 pm:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

I have noticed some dry coolant around the reservoir cap. I thought it was loose but when tightening it gave like when the threads are worn. There is no way to tighten it firmly.

Has this happened to anybody?  

By Prilliant on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 07:56 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Try some PTFE tape (the stuff plumbers use on threaded pipe joins) wrapped around the filler neck. I use it in work to seal pipes on dialysis machines and it works a treat.  

By Chuzo on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:34 am:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

I have thought about that but something made me avoid it.

It is a known fact in aviation, where any engine failure could mean you are doomed. The flying guys recommend to avoid at any cost using this kind of material in any location that could lead to contamination of the fluids, whether it be oil, fuel or coolant. This material is practically undestructible (teflon too) and once a piece is dislodged and falls into the fluid, next step is obstruction at the first narrow passage it encounters.

I could take all precautions doing the dressing on the outside aspect of the filler neck but once you start screwing the cap there is no way to know if any part is dislodging and where will it go.

I will see if it can be replaced for a new one, under warranty.

Dialysis machines? Good coincidence. I am a nephrologist, by the way. Be very, very careful not to contaminate yourself while at work.

Good riding!  

By Prilliant on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 12:15 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Coincidence indeed. I've just returned from the MCN autumn spectacular at Butlins in Skegness. After riding around the grounds for 15 mins we finally found our room. It was right next door to the on site dialysis centre. I go on holiday to get away from all that.
Still, they didn't ask me for any help. I was much too busy causing untold damage to my liver.

BTW we only use the tape to ensure good seals at the inlet and drainage hoses. A colleague blew all the electrics in the I.C.U. at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast a couple of years ago. Leaky hoses were apparantly to blame. Ooops!!! She was not very popular. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation