Which Alarm system???

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Which Alarm system???
By Redfalco on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 02:37 pm:  View Redfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redfalco Edit this post

Hi Guys, I test rode a Falco today (what a peach of a bike!) What I want to know is what alarm system is best suited to the Falco? I have a datatool veto evo on my vfr800 and it can be a right pain! I was thinking of a meta m357 or m53t immobiliser. What do you guys think?

Also when I switched the bike back on after getting some fuel all the clocks zeroed back!!
The dealer did not know why this had happened. It's not the rectifier going is it, I had a similar thing happen to me with the vfr!  

By Andyjfalco on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:52 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

I've got a Meta 357 fitted and it's been faultless. I'd recomend one to you, however, this is the first time I've ever had an alarm on a bike so I can't compare it to another make.
Andy.

p.s. On the whole having to bugger about with the remote every time you turn off the engine for more than 60 seconds is a PAIN IN THE ARSE!
All bike theves should be hung, bastards!!!  

By Scotty on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:56 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

I've got a Datatool Duo Immobiliser fitted.. I was p*ssed off with Datatool Veto+ Alarm (fitted on old ZX6R) always autoarming, esp in reference to the movement sensor.

Oh the clock resetting problem is one of the many user friendly features (NOT)... something to do with an early indication of a screwed battery.

If/When you become a Falco owner then there are these and many more 'features' that you'll need to learn about... and no I'm not joking on this one! 

By Falcorob on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 03:35 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Meta 357 alarm/immobiliser has been faultless for the 6 months I've owned my bike. It seems to work OK though the auto arming can be a bit of a pain, but at least it means you don't forget to switch the thing on when you nip to the shop or something.  

By Falco9 on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 03:54 am:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

Also have a Meta 357T fitted, and so far its been faultless, I agree with Falcorob, the auto arm can be a pain, (spent 10mins at the gargage trying to find out why she wouldn't start before remembering it after fitting) but at least you can't forget to arm it.
The sleep function during winter months should be a boon,(zero battery drain) although I'll probably link up the Optimiser just in case.  

By Redfalco on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 06:08 am:  View Redfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redfalco Edit this post

Thanks for the advice, I rang my insurance broker yesterday to see which alarms gave a discount on my policy for this bike, they said that none off them gave a discount!!. Is'nt it stupid !
You would think that would encourage you to protect your bike. I will probably just fit an immobiliser as most poeple don't seem to take any notice when alarms go off anyway! And an immobiliser will cost half the price of an alarm!! 

By Falco9 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 04:41 am:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

Really surprised to hear that you can't get any discount with the alarm / immobilser, my premium reduced nearly £200, once I told them I had the Meta 357 fitted. It's been said before but ring loads of brokers. My final premium was £385 fully comp (41yrs old with 3 yrs no claims living in West Yorks) but I had quotes of op to £800 and everything in between.
best of luck anyway  

By Dave on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 05:33 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Same here F9, I thought it common to get 5% off for datatagging and 10% for alarm/immobiliser -but not both - no 15%.

Datatool Veto+, 30 seconds to autoarm is a total pain, my spare zapper now occasionally needs banged a few times before it disarms, as went the 1st one.

Re cynical old bugger's comments above(), ok, there are a range of 'features' that one has to learn to live with such as the battery's feebleness and symptoms and the need for attention to certain components of the rest of the electrical system if you ride in a wet climate, and there are also more troublesome probs such as the leaking clutch master cyl and slipping clutches, warping disks et all, compounded by poor dealer support and backup from Aprilia, and of course the warranty fiasco! which you and me both have suffered from!

But not everyone has had probs, and there are still loads of contented owners out there, me included! Don't these 'features' add to the fabled 'character'? Do jap bikes really consistently provide better standards of product design/backup/warranty? Re warranty, that may or may not improve with Aprilia now providing a 2 year warranty. There's more and more quality bolt-ons appearing and there's always this site to fall back on for assistance in anything from technical stuff to proving that owners of the Falco are indeed a diverse and interesting bunch - in some cases certifiable

I'm not contradicting Scotty, I'm just providing another point of view, and we're also pretty well matched in terms of locaton, riding experience and 'problems'. Bollox, just couldn't let that go without leaping up to 'er defence @moi

hokay, sermon over, next?

By Befbever on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:03 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I thought it was funny to hear alarms arming themselves or being armed all the time when I met you guys. Beep, bling, tweek!

Must get myself one one of these days so I know what the hell you're all talking about.  

By Prilliant on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:59 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

If you can't get any discount for having an alarm, and if your insurer don't insist on you fitting an alarm, then you'd be better off spending your money on a quality chain and lock. When RIDE magazine tested public reactions to alarms being set off by "thieves" (really just journos acting the part) nobody bothered to intervene, even when a theft was staged outside a police station. The public don't care about alarms going off. The only way to stop your bike being nicked is to chain it to something solid & immovable.  

By Befbever on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:49 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

...or to stay on the bike.
Works for me! 

By Falco9 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:13 am:  View Falco9's Profile Search for other posts by Falco9 Edit this post

Prilliant is right, I have the alarm fitted purely for the insurance discount (blagged a big discount off it when I bought the bike)
But come parking up time it's a big chain & lock (plus ground anchor at home)plus a good quality disc lock. Just to get the thieving scum to look elswhere  

By Falcorob on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 02:45 pm:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

We all know that no-one gives a shit about an alarm going off. In fact most people will complain about the noise. However, the little flashing light that most have, and the stupid bleep, bleep, blarp noise that mine makes on arming is at least a deterrent and will make the average toe-rag look elsewhere. Also if the thieving scum do set mine off at night I WILL hear them and go and help them load it into the van. With my piece of 36mm hardwood dowl. The point is not to rely on it as your sole defence, but to fit locks, datatag, alarm the garage/shed, buy a big dog, join the local HA chapter,whatever.

Rob  

By Scbaumann on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 06:09 pm:  View Scbaumann's Profile Search for other posts by Scbaumann Edit this post

What is a good source for an alarm/immobilizer in the US? I'm having trouble finding any.

thanks,
scb  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation