Bloody thing wont start......HELP

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Bloody thing wont start......HELP
By Tinkytot on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 02:40 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Alright fellas,
I live in London and owned my Falco for about 3 months.

This morning my bike would not start, and I can't think of a better place to get reaction on possible reasons than here - I'd really appreciate the help.

facts:
2001 model
- renegade exhausts and chip
- de-restricted
- Meta 357 alarm/ immob
- used the bike yesterday and it was ok although the petrol light came on
- did about 2 miles from petrol light coming on and parking her up last night
- there seems to be petrol in the tank.
- did fire this morning but only once (so I thought this would rule out ignition problems)
- proceded to drain the battery trying allsorts of different methods:
- choke on, no throttle.
- choke on full, no throttle
- choke off, no throttle
- choke off, little blips of throttle.
etc.etc.etc.
- left the bike for 10 mins and then tried it again but still absolutely nothing. Not a hint of it fireing.
- not got too much oil, if anything it is low
- never had a problem starting the bike before this morning

- the bike had dew on it and the air temp was about 11c.

I'm buying a battery charger today and will give it another go this evening.

Thanks in advance for any help.
- rob.

When I traded my jap crap in for this italian job I had a feeling something like this would happen. 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 03:20 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Have you checked the handlebar kill switch?

They have a habit of corroding or dry jointing. Its worth a go flicking it a few times or getting the WD40 out on it.

Also worth checking your chip hasnt come loose and your alarm is OK.

Let us know if any of these checks sort it.

HTH. 

By Tinkytot on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 03:36 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Thanks.
Yes, I checked the kill switch, when it's off the starter motor does not turn. I assumed this was normal - is it???

I'm quite sure the alarm is ok, that fact that it fired briefly would denote that the immobiliser was disabled.

Could well be the chip - I'll check it.

- rob.

Ohh - soz about the double post, I'll go now....  

By Dave on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 04:04 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Watch out for dead battery too - if you set the display to battery (D once) you should get a reading around 13 volts or more at 4000 rpm. The battery is apparently close to its capacity...

You should easily have 15 miles in the tank, even in london  

By Scotty on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 04:09 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Ok I take it that the starter is turning over the engine... its not clear but your second post kinda confirms... I'm assuming this...

The starter shouldn't fire if your immobiliser is working(i.e. enabled)! Just think about it for a moment..

Ok I had the situation where the starter would turn but there wasn't enough juice in the battery to actually fire the engine... mind you it was a kin freezing day on Jan 2nd this year! I had to recover mine to the dealer where they fitted a new battery... problem solved.

Take it that the bike is 2nd hand right???
How many miles has it done, when was it first registered? Trying to get an idea how old the battery is...
mine was f*cked in only 14months from new!!!

BTW I'm a London dweller also! 

By Tinkytot on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 04:33 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Well,
I just came back from 2 weeks largin it in Ibiza last week.

The battery was almost dead but I did manage to get the thing going in the end. I would imagine the battery has never recovered since this event, so you could be right scotty. The starter motor was turing the engine ok but I tried for so long the battery did eventually go dead.

I just bought a charger, 45 quid would you believe (Oxford Oximiser).

The bikes done 4000, I bought it at 2500.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 04:51 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

sounds like the battery could be at fault. Get bumping!  

By Tinkytot on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 07:35 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Yep, I agree it's all pointing to battery problems.

I really did expect that if there was enough cherge to turn the starter there would be enough charge for the ignition but it seems not.

I hope to get it sorted tonight, I'll let you know. Geez, I don't fancy bumping the bastard I imagine it would be quite difficult and the manual warns you not to do this.

In case i have to, is the technique the usual? Ie. 2nd gear, dump clutch etc...  

By Oldgit on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:02 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Hi Robert,
I also had a spell of bad starting my problems commenced when the front cylinder would often not fire properly from cold but would come in after a hundred yards or so of ridding.
Solved when I cleaned the spark plugs they where quite dirty and the gap was wrong, in fact the plug's on the front looked as if they had never been out despite having had two Aprilia services.
If you clean your plugs be carefull of the plug caps they are very brittle, ask Bef  

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:17 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

If it ain't broke, break it.

Hm, 2nd gear, dump the clutch? If you can start her this way on yer own, you're a hero IMHO. The engine stopped once when cold and in third gear, so I shifted to 2nd and dropped my bum on the seat while I let the clutch go. The wheel just locked.

What Dave said: engine running at 4k rpm, lights on, voltage should be between 13 and 15V.
If it's below 13, dump the battery and get a new one. I haven't had any problems since.

Well, not with the bike anyways.  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:17 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

It will bump, just takes a little practice!...and its so good of Aprilia to produce a bike that gives us the opportunity to practice so much!

just be ready with the clutch when it fires! 

By Tinkytot on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:49 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Dangleberris, pissflaps, fart, crap and blast. Stupid thing still wont go.
Battery charger gives out 0.6Amps, it's a friggin trickle charger.

Once i'd worked this out i decided to get the jumps leads connected to a tank of a merc. Thought that could not fail, but it did. Again, bike turned over ok but not a hint of it fireing.

Had to come to work on the friggin train again, and it was late.

Well, here are my thoughts now:
- tried bump starting it with no luck but i'm sure I did hear it fire briefly, CR.... you are a hero if you bumped the beast. This makes me think it is still the battery that is causing the problem. My theory (poss rubbish) is that when I use the starter motor it is taking all the juice from the crap battery and not leaving enough for the ignition system. What do you think to that boffins???

- Could it be damp? A spray of WD40 on the distributer would get my old Talbot Sunbeam going every time.

- On my shopping list today is a new battery, if that does not work i'm prolly going to explode into a mental rage and am worried i might hurt myself. Absolute minimum, i will get very drunk and fall over a lot.

So if you have any other ideas please let me know.

Here's hoping,
- rob.  

By Andyjfalco on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 02:36 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

I'd guess at the battery too. I keep mine on an Optimate if I'm not useing her for a few days (ie. 3 or more)
Go buy a new battery, I think it will solve your problems.  

By Dave on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 02:48 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Best always to trickle charge overnight if you have to charge, the full on charge doesn't do the battery any good. As to jumping off a car, the nice AA man tryed starting mine off his jump unit and failed, new battery solved the problem.

If the battery does take a good charge or you replace it and it still doesn't start, it might be worth checking the plugs?  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 02:54 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

have you tried connecting the leads to the battery of the Merc and not the tank?

Trying to be logival, if it doesnt start using a car battery then it wont start with a new bike battery.

Check those elctrical connections to the ECU and other EFI areas, coils etc. Use plenty of WD40 and try not to swear as the bike will hear and will definately refuse to come out to play then!

If the bikes been standing with only a small amount of fuel for a while then get some fresh fuel in there too.

Might be worth doing a spark plug test before shelling out on anything too expensive like a battery.

If you do try to bump start it then get the clutch in as soon as it fires so that the engine can spin up.

I assume theres no fault or EFI code flashing up on the dash?
HTH 

By Tinkytot on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:03 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Dave, your post has given me a new shred of hope.

I thought the same as CR..thingy: if it does not start with a jump from a car it would not start with a new battery.
Your AA man experience proves this wrong however.

I'm happier now and will get on with some work.

Cheers all....  

By Scotty on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:03 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Oh yer I forgot to add to my reply... Dave's recent one reminded me... Yes even the AA couldn't jump start the bike off a slave battery or off the AA truck as well when my battery was screwed!!!!!
So it was carted of to the dealer...(eventually) Angry cos all they did was fit a new battery... I thought that it was something more serious! 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 04:31 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

what if you replace the bike battery with the jump leads from the car? This shouldnt screw the electrix up shirley? As long as its 12V not 240v!

Wheres a sparky when you need him?

Talking from personal experience I started my big single using a car battery without any ill effects. Doesnt have expensive EFI to bugger up tho!  

By Tinkytot on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 05:34 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Good idea Cr, but whatever happens I'm going to require a new battery so I just bought one from the Aprilia centre on Commercial Rd in London for £76. I nearly decked him when he told me the price (I was nice really, not his fault I'm sure).
BTW does anyone know if this Aprilia Centre are any good? Scotty???

So there you go, fitting it tonight, I'm confident but then again I was supremely confident that jumping it from the car would conclude this annoying saga.

It's amazing how your feelings towards a bike can change eh! I loved it with all my heart 3 days ago.

I'll let you know.  

By Bill on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 05:43 am:  View Bill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Edit this post

Just read the notes, sorry I never read it sooner, heathrow Aprilia battery £30.........mine did the exact same sequence, hence the new battery.

My mates 99 RSV needed a new one after he tried to jump it from his car, the dealer replaced it for free, on the understanding he never did this again....ever...Aprilia's don't like it  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 06:35 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Thingk I read somewear that its OK to bump it using a car battery as long as the car is not running/generating power

Cant see how this could hurt little Freddy Falco  

By Tinkytot on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 06:49 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Not only did I have the car running but had the owner of the car hold her at a steady 5000rpm in order to generate more juice.

Whey hey, what a total idiot, I wonder if I've fried my cpu. Ahhh, you live and learn.  

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 07:00 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Have you checked to see if you have spark? Take the plug out, put the cap back on it, ground it to the engine, turn it over. If you can see a spark then it's obviously not the ignition. Mind you I've never done this with the 'Priller, but I have done this with numerous other engines.

Could you smell gas when you are trying to start it? If it's cranking that much and you've tried it with choke and no choke and throttle then you should probably be able to smell the unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust. If you can't then maybe it's something with the EFI or fuel system? Clogged fuel filter? Bad fuel pump, can you hear the fuel pump? If you have the ignition on, bike in gear and turn the kill switch to run then you should be able to hear the fuel pump run.

This sounds very familiar....LOL Did you take the battery out prior to having these difficulties? The only time I ever had problems getting mine to start was when I took the battery out and mistakenly put the tip over sensor back on upside down It would turn over but not fire, soon as I put the sonsor on the right way it fired right up 

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 07:18 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Have you checked to see if you have spark? Take the plug out, put the cap back on it, ground it to the engine, turn it over. If you can see a spark then it's obviously not the ignition. Mind you I've never done this with the 'Priller, but I have done this with numerous other engines.

Could you smell gas when you are trying to start it? If it's cranking that much and you've tried it with choke and no choke and throttle then you should probably be able to smell the unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust. If you can't then maybe it's something with the EFI or fuel system? Clogged fuel filter? Bad fuel pump, can you hear the fuel pump? If you have the ignition on, bike in gear and turn the kill switch to run then you should be able to hear the fuel pump run.

This sounds very familiar....LOL Did you take the battery out prior to having these difficulties? The only time I ever had problems getting mine to start was when I took the battery out and mistakenly put the tip over sensor back on upside down It would turn over but not fire, soon as I put the sonsor on the right way it fired right up 

By Tinkytot on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 07:26 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

No, I've never even touched the battery before now.

Bill, I just checked my usual supplier and he can get me a battery for £35, and there's me thinking that going to an Aprilia dealer would be the best thing to do.

How they can justify charging double the price is beyond me.

Seems they are professional at instilling antagonism in all their customers.  

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 07:38 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Doh, double post, sorry 

By Bob on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 07:59 am:  View Bob's Profile Search for other posts by Bob Edit this post

I still have the original battery, but i found out that sometimes the bike had starting problems and once, because of trying several times, the battery was empty. After that I connected it with a carbattery and it started right away.
Now after that incident I bought a Optimate III and never have a starting problemagain.
BTW.: the bike is having a new cluth right now and it is of another design than the stock one.  

By Scotty on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 09:48 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Sorry Tinkytot, haven't used the Aprilia Centre on Commercial St. at one time this was the London Aprilia Centre where I originally bought the bike... they went bust though....

£75 would seem to be the official Aprilia list price for the battery, like all other official spares they or any other dealer sell vastly overpriced!

I have now taken to sourcing my spare parts from alternative legal sources.... where possible of course. 

By Befbever on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:20 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

A battery's a battery. Mine isn't an Aprilia OE one either anymore. They're not much good, so they tell me. And so I found out myself.
Btw, I jumpstarted the bike from a running car once and didn't fry anything. Does it count it was a Volvo?
This might help...confuse you even more: http://www.twowheelracing.co.uk/falco/prod/ignition.asp

Tinkytot, calling Crmc33 'CR...thingy' ! ROFLMAO!

Bef's a lot simpler isn't he it?

By Crmc33 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:34 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Oi shuddup Beth 

By Befbever on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:38 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Liz 

By Dave on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:50 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

ladies, behave yourselves!

Snippet of info, London Aprilia, now occupying the premises of formerly LAC in comercial rd are mostly interested in scooters and may or may not have any/some mechanics, I've 'ad really too much to drink tonight and really shouldn't so don't believe a word of it, my source is really unreliable...

Go give em a visit, ask to see the workshop, ask about the lift  

By Tinkytot on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 01:18 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Fitted the battery and it still wont go.

My last thing to try is to put the standard exhausts and chip back (something I was going to do anyway).

I'm not angry now, I've gone past that stage.  

By Powermaster on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 02:08 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Tinky, give me a call, when you next to the bike.  

By Tinkytot on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 03:24 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

I see you work for/ are renegade! Thankyou for the offer of help. I wont see the bike again until tomorrow, so can I call you then.

What number should I call?

I'm at my desk at the mo: 0207 9299250

- rob

BTW, as you are from Rene I suppose I should explain that the standard pipes are going back on for winter, not because I dislike the Renegades. 

By Powermaster on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 11:29 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Hey Tinky, did you manage to start the bike yet,

By Powermaster on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 11:29 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

By Magic on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 08:18 am:  View Magic's Profile Search for other posts by Magic Edit this post

Tinkytot - just a thought as I was having the same problem as you. I found just inside the left hand frame rail a rubber fuel hose ( I assume from the tank) with some kind of quick release valve, which had slightly come apart hence starving the engine of fuel. Worth checking?  

By Oldgit on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 04:24 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Reading back over some of these post's it accrued to me that some of you are taking some unnecessary risks

To disconect your battery it should be done in a carfull way, disconect the - terminal first, followed by your + terminal, reconect in the reverse order, or remove the 30 amp fuse.

It is neccesary to disconect your battery to use a conventional charger.

I would personally not jump start a bike from a car battery.

Why? because power surge, peaks and the like, can cause damage to diodes,cpu's,electronic circuits,etc. Not all fault's can be easy to spot but can cause all kinds of faults in your bikes electric system.  

By Befbever on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:33 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Oldgit
you're absolutely right actually.

It's just that when you discover your bike won't start late Sunday night and you have to leave for work at 4.30 AM the next morning, you sleep better knowing it will start.

By Scotty on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 09:45 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Jorge's post was supposed to provoke an answer from the owner in question.
Jorge has told me yesterday that 'he' solved the problem for tinky personally ... yes exactly like it sounds... I don't wish to spoil this by giving too much more away!

How about the situation when you stop to refuel after riding a few miles down the road prior to visiting a well know exhaust manufacturer and finding that the bike will not fire... bloody starter switch!  

By Oldgit on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 12:36 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Did not mean it as a criticism Bef, I had a friend who had to replaced his immobiliser and a alternator before his bike was trouble free, after connecting to his van  

By Tinkytot on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:21 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Hello all,
Jorge arrived on Friday evening (I don't use computers at the weekend so no chance to update until now).

"Flooded"!!!

Obviously I had to believe him but it just did not seem to add up. I thought if an engine is flooded you leave it for a couple of hours and then strike her up, no trouble. I've had to deal with a shed load of flooded engines (all be it, usually 2 strokes).

Well, it was flooded (obviously the battery was the initial problem). Jorge got it going in 2 mins. It spluttered for a while but was fine.

The method used is to close the choke and open the throttle fully for a couple of seconds, then hit the starter button. I think the idea is that this causes a backfire and burns all the shite that is built up in the cylinders.

On the 3rd go using the above method it ran but spluttered for about 5mins, enough for my nice neighbor to come and give me grief about the noise.

So there you go, problem solved, thanks to Jorge and belgian friend (was that you beffy). Sorry I missed you on Sat Jorge and Scotty, I really fancied coming down but by the time I got home after my Friday night escapades it was Sat at 2pm which I thought was a bit late, I was also very very tired.

Still need to see you about getting them beauties a little quieter.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
- rob.  

By Befbever on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 06:31 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ah no, that wasn't me but my friend Wim. He has a lot more hair than me. grrr!
I'd introduce myself if I were to meet you.
And I wouldn't let Jorge anywhere near your Falco.

Still, nice service eh?

By Tinkytot on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:00 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

soz 

By Tinkytot on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:02 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Yes, very nice service indeed Bef. I get the impression you and a few others are fair mechanics, how come no-one spotted the flooded scenario? Did you just think I could not possibly be that stupid?

I'll be coming to see you; Jorge in the near future to get those exhausts quitened down a little considering Friday's altercation. I went to see my neighbor the next day and it's being pissing him off since I got the bike. I asked the other neighbors if they minded and they all agreed it wasn't a problem. I'm tempted to fight him but it turns out he's a lawyer!  

By Befbever on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:06 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

Did you just think I could not possibly be that stupid?

Ahem. And:

Quote:

I've had to deal with a shed load of flooded engines

You wanna answer this one Jorge?

By Tinkytot on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:25 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

That was from my day's doing trials and then motocross racing.

Never heard of holding the throttle wide open, that just made things worse on my old bikes.

Infact, I tried the opposite method as I did think it could be flooded. When it was connected to the car battery I just held my finger on the starter with no choke or throttle in a hope to clear it.

I've got a lot to learn, my 7 years break from bikes is showing somewhat.  

By Befbever on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:36 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Only joking, of course.
Holding the throttle wide open is a well-known remedy on four-strokes.
I didn't think of it because I've never flooded my Falco. There is however a danger involved. The starter clutch doesn't like the forces it has to overcome when using any throttle to start the bike. Or so I've heard anyway.

What's Scotty on about anyway? Can you shed some light? Did Wim the ickle Belgian in fact get it started for you? 

By Tinkytot on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:57 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Eh - your only calling him ickle coz you jealous of his hair. No it was Jorge, Wim was acting as consultant.

Can't shed any light I'm afraid.

I might not know much about 4 strokes but I'll whip you boys on the track - lets get it onn....

Grrrrr. I'm manly, me.  

By Befbever on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:11 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

So Wim told Jorge what to do, that's clear as a bell!

Whip us at the track? Dangerous talk, Tinkytot.

We decided back in April to put our money where our mouth was and went to Rockingham where we could see who was fast and who wasn't.

Read all about it here
Btw, Wim wasn't my mechanic. It just looked that way.  

By Benw on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:12 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Dead fast too! Probably...

B 

By Befbever on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:22 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hush BenW! Tinky's reading the article.

We's manly too we are!

Oh btw, did you make it to K-Tech? 

By Scotty on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:31 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Bef I was only repeating some of what I had been told...

Anyway Mr Tinky glad you got it sorted out!
Your problem sounds like a complete copy of mine.... except my bike got seriously flooded... to the point where neat petrol was coming out of the cylinders... thanks to the seriously incompetant AA person for that one... while trying to jump it... at that point I had no option but to get it recovered to the dealer for them to sort it out...

Sorry I couldn't have helped you with suggesting about holding the throttle open, didn't know about that and I hadn't even thought that it might be flooded still after a few days.... I however will know in the future. 

By Benw on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:06 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I made it to K-Tech and was very impressed with their facilities!

Rumour has it that Technoflex are going to be making a shock with an adjustable reservoir so that they can fine tune exactly where it sits - thus alleviating any interference from the swingarm or the exhaust header.

Sounds intweeging...

B  

By Tinkytot on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 09:18 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Nice article, maybe we should get another organised before the weather closes in and I can show you monkeys what it's all about.

No, seriously, I'd love to do a track day with you all. You can show me how my bike works and I can show you my dust.

Let me know if the showdown might be soon, need to get some new tyres and hoses.

I do remember reading a post that said some of you that day were the fastest in the fast group (was that you beffy). I should be able to make it to that level by lunchtime and be kicking your hide by the last 2 sessions. 

By Befbever on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:27 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

You're a funny chap, Tinky! Make sure you have a bull's eye painted on your leathers if we were to meet eachother on a track.
There's a track day at Donington next weekend. How about that?
Btw, I won't be there.

There was this one guy at Rockingham on an R1 or R7 who came past like a man possessed. Not even BenW could/wanted to keep up with him. I think he later went into the kitty litter.
Let's not forget most of us were on our street bike, for some of us (ie me) our only transport.

Fastest Prillers may have been Screeech & Singlesman who cheated with tyre warmers and the likes and being on their track bikes of course, respectively an RSV and a green Falco. But hats off to them, they're very experienced (not calling them old you see) and both very fast and nice blokes.

Fastest in my book was BenW. He was on road tyres and stock suspenders. I have nothing but respect for the man.

I was pretty fast too, but couldn't keep up with Ben although I tried. I never had the chance to duel with Screeech or Singlesman as I didn't have tyre warmers to keep up with them in the first laps. I was on slicks that needed warming up btw.

Having some knowledge of your NHS I'm glad I didn't bin it and I did have the greatest of times and met the nicest of people for which I humbly thank my fellow Aprilia riders and of course Jorge and the Renegade family.

I'll whoop your arse on a minimoto any day though.  

By Powermaster on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 02:50 pm:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Beff carefull with your words, I have a feeling that Tinky is a nutter, I told Him so.
These town boys always ammuse me
Any nutter who revs is bike to it's balls at 9 in the evening has to be Tinky 

By Tinkytot on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 12:42 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

You know I'm only messing fella's surely.

For your info, I am pretty quick (fast group quick), but have done 6 trackdays and never come off (kiss of death), and 2 of those were raining.

Anyone with any real experience blows me into the weeds, there is no denying that. I tried to follow a couple of such guys last time I went to Donny, I nearly came off twice before deciding I was out of my league and letting them go.

Ben, you're from Leicester eh! I'm from Stamford, good roads round that way. Living in London at the moment so I'm starved of such pleasures.

Jorge, it was 8 not 9 and I had to see if it would rev, it had been spluttering for the last 5 mins. I also wanted to show the annoyed neighbor what it really sounds like.  

By Befbever on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 05:46 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Careful with my words? Aren't I always?
Tinky's a nutter eh? You two must have gotten on like a house on fire then.

Tinky, twas ten years since my last track day. Never took a big bike like this to a track, had a slipping clutch and a sticking brake piston which easily cost me a few seconds a lap. Yet the only one that came past after the warm-up laps was BenW.
I was happy enough.

Btw, never mentioned this before: the attending journalists' attitude towards the Falco was one I didn't really care for.  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 06:21 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

please tell us more (I love the things these journo boys say!)
bollox 

By Befbever on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 06:29 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Perhaps we should ask our own journo to elaborate. BenW? What did you think about that group photo - for Mille's only?

Me, I'm just mad because they took my piccie and never published it or sent me any royalties.

And no, I don't mean that lot at Buckingham Palace. 

By Benw on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 06:53 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I was a little disappointed that it became a Mille only event. I thought it was going to be run as a Aprilia V-twin type article but the powers that be wanted to do a feature on Milles specifically, thus we were excluded.

The reason why the article hasn't been run yet is because the photo was about the owners but it should really have been about the bikes. They had a different take on the event compared to us!

Oh well.

B  

By Scotty on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 07:20 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Another example of how journalists can make or break a bike based on popularity and appeal to themselves!!!

Personally couldn't quite imagine them showing pics or story of Mr Ben thrashing all them MilleR riders etc. on a Falco with its 'crappy' std suspension and on 010s!  

By Tinkytot on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:32 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Beffy, I'm actually going to that trackday at donny on saturday.
Is anyone else going?

There are plenty of places left and the forecast is good. Last chance of the year maybe.

Just off to get new tyres fitted.  

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 08:12 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Yeah, Dave's going. RSV-R wheels, Mille swingarm, underseat Rene's.
When he asks: 'where the chicken?' He means: where's the check-in?'

Sorry Dave, just thought I'd warn Tinky.  

By Dave on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:40 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

not going to live that one down am I - cheers Singles man for posting that gem and the caped one for not letting us forget it http://www.twowheelracing.co.uk/falco/art/rockingham.asp for Daz's Rochingham report

Hey Tinky, shall I post a report on your talents for the other monkeys - this has got to be worth some beer money

Na, seriously, looking forward to meeting up with another member of the clan. I'm in novice till I get compy with the track - 1st time there for me - and hopefully up to inters by lunch so we may get a chance to 'spar' I'll be with a couple or 3 gsxr's , and a blue van - not sure how thier planning on getting that on the track tho...

Kevin? "There are plenty of places left and the forecast is good. Last chance of the year maybe." and no need for passport  

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:54 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

No, never. But I'm an idiot for posting it as Tinky read the article. Oh well.

You in novice again? Bloody hell, Dave, go for the fast group. They'll force you to be quick.
I know Donny very well, although I've never been there. I keep beating this Mick Doohan fella all the time. On Playstation 2.  

By Tinkytot on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:00 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Excellent, i'll look out for you Dave. I've been twice before so I'll be in the fast group. I'm going with a mate on a Firestorm and will be somewhere around garage 7.

Looking forward to it!!!

- rob.

Red Falco, rene high mounts.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation