010's.

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: 010's.
By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 09:25 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Found out the other day that 010's work much better with 40psi front 42psi rear than the 36/38 that was recomended. No longer does the bike try to sit up when cornering, even on the brakes!
And I thought the Maxton shock made a difference...
Anyhoo, whats the oppinion of the M1's/012's etc I'm after a bit more rear end grip as I've scared myself silly on white lines quite a few times this year.
Cheers guys,
Andy.

By Litre1 on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 09:38 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I absolutely love the 12's. Can't compare b/c I replaced the Z3's with 'em, but I haven't had any slip at all on the road--even in the wet. They heat up really well, and don't seem to wear out as quickly as the Z3's (but that's no great feat). There are several threads about the 012's, and some about the M1's. Do a search by keyword.  

By John1000 on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 10:19 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Got the 12ss myself and am very pleased seem to be lasting well too. Manufacturers recommend 36psi front and 42 rear.

By 10451238 on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 02:28 pm:  View 10451238's Profile Search for other posts by 10451238 Edit this post

I've got to say the 010s are one of the best all round tyres you can fit. Grip, traction, wear, it's all good. They say Rennsports are up there too but I havent tried them.

I agree with the 40/42psi pressures. I'm new to Aprilias but that's what I ran mine at when I had my Triumph. They seem very sensitive to slight changes in pressure, much more than the Pirellis I had before them.  

By Adrian on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 03:28 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

I like the Metzler Sportec M1's a lot. Great grip, very neutral steering, and don't stand up harshly while breaking like the sux stock M3's.  

By Tbone on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 11:28 pm:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

ran 010s 4 rear and 2 front for about 27k km on my SL1000. Just switched to Pilot Sport. O10s are good for everyday use and touring but Pilots are better for sport--especially curve stability. Had to fight to push bike down to scrap nipples on footpegs, now dont have to push (Pilots keep asking for more) and my nips are slowly wearing away--and thats on the street. Pilots seem to be much more stable but also have harder ride--lots more vibration through handlebars. No opinion on rain cause I don't ride in it if I don't have too.
2cents.
tbone  

By Benw on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 12:19 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Erm...

Andy, the 010s are SUPPOSED to have 40/42 in them! You've been running them under-pressured!

010s are great tyres but I prefer the 012s now, better turn-in and grip. Smoother ride, the carcass seems more flexible etc.

B  

By Litre1 on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 04:45 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Hey BenW, what is the recommended pressure for the 012's?  

By Benw on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 06:04 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I've just been speaking to Bridgestone and have the following information for you all...

012ss recommendations
2 up riding, motorway riding, touring, luggage, basically everything other than fast solo sport riding and trackday use is 36 front / 42 rear.

For fast solo sport riding 34 front / 38 rear.

For in-experienced riders on the track use 34/38.

For experienced track riders who push it hard use 32/34 depending on track and ambient temperatures. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you shouldn't be looking at this section anyway.

BT010 information.
Bridgestone say you can use the same pressures as above for the 012ss. Experienced / v.fast riders would benefit from the 012SS. ( I was wrong above, it's not 40 in the front...)

BT020 run at 36/42 in all conditions. It's not a track oriented tyre so they don't want to give recommendations.

B  

By Racerxlilbro on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 07:42 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Wow! I've been running about 32F, and 34R in my 010's...and am far from "fast, experienced!" LOL! Oh, crap! 

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 10:31 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Cheers, all. If only I knew what the f*ck a psi is.
Haven't you limeys gotten round to using bar or kPa yet?

I won't even bother with the Americans. They're beyond salvation.

PTL!

Beffy The Imperial Slayer

By Litre1 on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 10:46 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I resemble that remark! 

By Scotty on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:27 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

UK has got to be one of the most screwed up countries when it comes to mixtures of imperial and metric units... and its been officially a metric country since about 1971.
Petrol in litres... distance in miles, speed in Miles per hour. You can buy pints or litres of milk... though all food and drink has to be labeled in metric now (EU laws)..

Only started using BAR for pressure cos thats all Aprilia state tyre pressures in... also helps that my trusty footpump has both scales on the gauge!

Anyway converting bar into PSI is easy Bef multiply by 14.5! Then you do the translation for our American cousins. 

By Dave on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:44 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

and try working out what your average miles per gallon is when you've just put in 16.8 litres  

By Befbever on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:41 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Why would I want to convert my trusted bar into psi?

All my gauges have both scales, no worries.

I was, as usual, only joking.  

By Racerxlilbro on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:57 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Alright, Mayo Man! That's just about ENOUGH! We tried to go Metric in the late 70's, it's part of the reason Jimmy Carter didn't get reelected. 

By Andyjfalco on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 04:01 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Metric is far better than the old stuff except when it's got anything to do with distance.Or weights.Or volumes.
Besides, it was us Brits who gave the world Imperial sizes, and it's all we got left.
Andy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation