Technoflex Suspension Help Needed

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Technoflex Suspension Help Needed
By John1000 on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 03:06 pm:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Well finally got a replacement for my old shock unit but is it the right one? Well it fits OK only problem is the reservoir is no more than 2mm from the Exhaust now that cant be right surely.  

By Exdukenut on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:44 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I'd suggest you may have it the wrong way round. Not that I've seen one as I have the ohlins. I'm sure Bef should be able to help out.

By Befbever on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:39 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Oh no, not again!
Dave had the exact same problem with his shock. I saw it and it can't be right IMO. I have plenty of clearance left on mine. Dave should have got it sorted at the UK importer's but he failed to let anyone (i.e. me!) know if he ever did. You listening Dave?
I asked Alice from Technoflex about the outcome recently and she hadn't heard anything. We therefore assumed the UK importer sorted Dave's shock out.

So I'd say don't go putting any dents in the exhaust header and call your UK importer first. Mailing to Holland is futile. They can't fix it from up there.

Hope this helps and please someone let us all know what the f*ck is going on.

Le Bef, a little upset. 

By John1000 on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 02:12 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Well just been on the phone seems that this is not the first time this has happened. Chap on the end of the phone very apologetic but cant help wondering if I am destined never to get a new shock for the Falco as it is now five months since I�ve been on the trail for a new one from various places
Thanks for your reply Bef  

By Dave on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 03:43 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

So what was the resolution - are they replacing it? I'm planning a visit sometime to Lester, there's a shop up there that do Technoflex. One look should tell them there's a problem. We had to put a slight dent in the header to get it to fit - I know - too impatient...  

By Falconas on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 06:44 am:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

Next week i am going to fit mine Technoflex at the back, i 'll let you know how it went....
And another thing, do you know if the steering dampers are the same for the MILLE and FALCO? They seem to place on the same position.  

By Befbever on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 09:51 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I've been in touch with Technoflex Holland about the situation and I'm calling their technician on Monday.
I can't believe you never got it fixed, Dave. My shock fits perfectly, still plenty of room left for bigger headers if need be. But I'm as nosy as a woman and I just have to find out what's going on.

Will keep you posted.

Oh btw, dunno about steering dampers. If there's one bike that doesn't need one, it's the Falco.
Should've bought an R1 then eh?  

By John1000 on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 10:53 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Got to call back on Monday seems there is some kind of adjuster that they can have fitted will know more Monday. By the way if you go to the Technoflex web site the shock (643-554-00) is the piggyback not the one they show. 

By Falconas on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 01:33 pm:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

The steering damper is only protection.....from bad landings after WHEELIES 

By Dave on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 04:55 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Cheers Bef, I've been too busy with work plus the bike was off the road a while - Not due to waiting for parts - and I just haven't got round to doing something about it, but if you speak to them I'd really appreciate it. The last I spoke to them they told me its normal for the shock to be very close to the header, and getting very hot (almost too hot to touch!) was ok too. Shortly after that you posted the piccies with the socket and extention attached, proving there's a problem. If/When I go up to Lester(Technoflex), I'll be armed with said photos.

As for tankslappers I've never had one, only minor shakes which are fun  

By Falconas on Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 12:23 pm:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

Fun Fun but why not be sure. I agree that for the Falco putting a steering damper is more psychological help than technical but sometimes after hard acceleration out of corners hiting an anomaly on the road can be scary.
If you can afford it it's good precaution, especially after fitting open pipes, fp chip, filter, rear shock, front 15 sprocket, new tyres..... 

By Falcofreak on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 03:39 am:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Hey Bef,
I'm waiting for my new 643 Tecnoflex to be send.
I'm very interested in hearing news about the problem. Thanks for taking care of our common problems. What did they say?

By Befbever on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 05:31 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Curiosity killed the cat but I got away with it.

Technoflex, ie Roy, made the shock to fit a Falco he got from the importer's. So he made the piggyback shock to fit the bike, making sure there's enough space left for the rear exhaust header.
Now, a couple of years down the road, there have been a few customers saying their shock almost touches the header. The reservoir gets very hot because of this.

The reason is that the headers differ from bike to bike. All the shocks are the same, but no two exhaust headers are. Aprilia, or maybe Arrow if they happen to make them for Aprilia, can't (or couldn't) make two headers the same. There.

Of course, if the shock is of a different design, like the Mille shock for instance, this problem is non-existent. So Technoflex have altered the design and are waiting for the cast part to change the shock. The new one will be like a T, ie with the reservoir on top and access won't be as easy as it is now probably.
Rotating the reservoir wasn't an option as it will touch the swing arm.

The fact that the reservoir gets very hot isn't an issue at all. Roy assured me that other reservoirs get a lot hotter, to the point where you get third-degree burns if you dare touch them. And still the shock will continue to work perfectly. There's nitrogen in the shock which is unaffected by heat so your shock is safe.

For people where the shock is extremely close to the reservoir: take the bike off the side stand and see if the reservoir touches. Sit on the bike and see if it touches.
If it does, contact your importer and get the new and improved one.
But if it doesn't, leave well enough alone.

Dave, if you happen to be going to Renegade shortly, ask them to see if the TNT system would fit with your Technoflex shock. Which as we now know is exactly the same as mine.
This way any people interested in the system will know as well.

I sure hope this helps! 

By Falcofreak on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 10:42 pm:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Hey again and thanks for the explanations Bef.
I am still worried. As far as I know there is nitrogen AND oil in the reservoir, and I am not too happy if the reservoir reaches exhaust
temperature. (Boiling oil and increasing pressure in nitrogen)

Another question: If its no problem, why change the construction?

Should I have waited for the "Sweedish Technoflex"?(I don't remember the name)

\ 

By Befbever on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:03 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

You do mean the 'Japanese made' Swedish Technöflex, don't you?
From what I've heard, Öhlins suspension parts as they're mounted on Aprilia bikes are made in Japan, by Yamaha. Same goes for the infamous Aprilia Brembo discs. They're apparently made in some low labour cost country. All hearsay, I hasten to add.

You have a point there about the oil, but Dave's been using his Technoflex for 6 months or so and I don't hear him complain about performance.
Dave?

If there's no problem, why change the construction? Good point, I suppose it just doesn't look good for Technoflex if people complain and there's room for improvement.
Hence the Rene airkit Mark III. I have the Mark I and did a few mods of my own to make a decent fit. The Mark III bolts on no problems whatsoever. Sorry for changing the subject but just trying to clarify.

By Roscofalco on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 09:12 am:  View Roscofalco's Profile Search for other posts by Roscofalco Edit this post

Bef,
is Technoflex waiting (and holding deliveries) for the new part or do they still ship the old design and exchange later for the owners that want/need it?
It's starting to sound like a bad soap but eventually I had to order a Technoflex set (fork springs/shock) because WP let me down BIG time...

Some of you might still remember I ordered a WP set back in the days when animals could still talk... turns out their delivery date should be about NEVER I would have understood if they had been honest about whatever reason it was they couldn't make their promises, but every time we called (at least weekly) the order had just been packed or was going to be sent the same day or yadda yadda yadda... I got nightmares about it and I noticed my dealer had to force himself not to run away screaming when he saw me coming in with my "would that shock be here yet?" face on
Needless to say that sort of "service" would also apply if, God forbid, I would ever need a spare part or a rebuild so we kindly told'em to... (censored ) and ordered Technoflex springs at the intermot, see if they do a better job...originally I was going to put in a second-hand RSV-R Öhlins shock but apparently that isn't the same shock Öhlins sells for Mille aftermarket: it needs frame or shock modifications similar to a Mille Sachs shock and it hasn't got hydraulic preload... I now ordered a Technoflex shock too because it turned out modifying the Öhlins would have cost more (shock was 440 euro and mods about 600 euro, that's more than a full spec Technoflex)...I'm curious if I'll get the goodies before my retirement <sigh>
will keep ya posted

Wouter 

By John1000 on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 10:44 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

My shock is all boxed ready to go back to the stockist. And there is no way I�m having it back if it will be getting as hot as people are saying, £500 is just to much money to spend on a compromise.
I have no doubt its a very good product but heat must effect its performance and as I haven�t seen any race teams keen to place such a heat source close to theirs they must be of the same opinion also .  

By Dave on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 12:59 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

I've no complaints on the handling front but then I'm no expert, 1st trackday comming up 19th this month, any of you handling boffins care to tell me what to expect/look for if the shock is actually too hot? I may accept the 'not too hot' argument IF I don't notice any problem, and if some more visual expert attention also agrees. But according to your piccs Bef they sure look different too!
I think with this much on the topic its time I shook ma booty and get on the phone to Lester - do you know the name of consessionairs Bef? - and give them a chance to sort me out.
Ta for getting involved in the subject again...  

By Dave on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 03:24 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Beffy's shock

John1000's shock

To check the alignement, Bef took photo's with a socket attached to the adjusters and an extender.
John, yours looks the same as mine ie on the bottom adjuster the extender won't fit past the bottom rail of the subframe. Bef can get a finger between the bottom of the reservior and the header.

I've just spoken to K-Tech(Technoflex UK importers) and thier happy for me to come in for a look - next Friday (18th). 

By Dave on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 03:31 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Doh! I thought the bit between the {} was supposed to be posted with the picture, if it was then the top pic would be captioned Beffy's shock and the bottom John1000's shock - cheers for the piccies John.  

By John1000 on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 08:29 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Thought as much the angle of Bef�s reservoir is set further away from the header than on mine that obvious. Me thinks that someone has mixed the part numbers up at the factory.
Dave thanks for posting the pics, will get to learn how to do them myself when I get the time.  

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 10:16 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Gee, thanks Dave, it would seem John is right about the parts. I thought the same about your shock at the time and now it seems I've got the only proper shock!
I'm sending this on to Roy to take a look at. Will let you know asap.

Wout, I didn't ask, sorry. I had my shock built and sent in a week or so. Shouldn't be a problem.
I wish I could retire too. Still about 25 years to go I'm afraid. 

By Iedoubleyou on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:43 am:  View Iedoubleyou's Profile Search for other posts by Iedoubleyou Edit this post

Hello Guy's,

Read about your problems.
I'm planning to visit the factory this evening. (since it's only 1 hour drive from were I live, and I'm also intrested in replacing the standard shock)
I'll mention the discussion and tell you what they said. 

By John1000 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 09:08 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Can�t believe how helpful you guys are being.

Will be giving K-tech a call tomorrow as they should have received the shock that I sent back to them by then. 

By Befbever on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:36 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hi Iedoubleyou,
the people at Technoflex have told me again today that all shocks are the same. Chris at K-Tech will be measuring shocks on different bikes on Saturday so hopefully we'll get to the solution of this some time soon.
It would be great if you could give us all some more information than we already have.
I'd tell you to say hi to them from me but I fear you've already been by now.

Thanks!

John,
that's what this board is for, isn't it?

By Iedoubleyou on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:03 am:  View Iedoubleyou's Profile Search for other posts by Iedoubleyou Edit this post

I think I must disapoint you.
Something came in between. (damned work)
Maybe I can find some time next week.
We'll keep in touch. 

By John1000 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:06 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

All are made the same are they ???

Found another pic of the top of the shock, well I don�t need a measure to see there is a difference
-My Image- 

By Befbever on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:08 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Yeah, they don't look the same to me either.
Too bad, E., but we'll keep at it until we know!

John, pics need to be below 100 Kb. 

By John1000 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:10 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

DSCN0681.JPG 

By John1000 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:17 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

I have found enlightenment O wise one. 

By Befbever on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:59 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Well done, Grasshopper.
Now what we see is the reservoir being suited to hop into the swing arm cavity if the need should arise.
Which, I can assure you, mine can't! Not by a long shot.
So na-na-na-na-na, you're right!

By Benw on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:31 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Beffer,

I think you'll find Chris is measuring a bike on Saturday that you've seen before... Apparantly he isn't far from Leicester!

B 

By Befbever on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:49 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Intweeging!
Will it fit a BMW?

Boy, what are the odds the infamous Sir Ben of W. is going to be there with Chris measuring that very day? Or have you been a-lurking in the shadows and felt the Technoflex urge - again?

My theory is Technoflex has the top of the shocks cast (or is it CNC'd?) by an outside firm which screws up on a regular basis. Or they do it in house and screw up themselves.
Either that or Luigi has been temping building Falco frames or swing arms. He should have stuck to doing the exhaust dent eh?  

By Benw on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:25 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I was chatting to Chris earlier this week on a different subject - they do some VERY nice fork leg lowers that are titanium nitride coated and have radial mounted calipers on them - schweet! We started talking about the fact that the either the headers are mis-shaped on some models or the shocks aren't quite as they should be. We'll do some measuring on my bike and see!

B

p.s. have you decided what bike you're getting next?  

By Exdukenut on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:41 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Get an Ohlins (AP840 - 46PRCLS)....at least they fit properly, no probs with the resovoir coming anywhere near the exhaust.... 

By Dave on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:59 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

By Exdukenut on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 04:50 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Hey Dave, at least we know, that, that rear end works better than what you've got from Technoflex..... 

By John1000 on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:12 pm:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

I waited months for a Ohlins with no sign of one turning up.

Exdukenut-  

By Dave on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 01:57 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

hehe - with my drinking habbits and diet, not really  

By John1000 on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 08:25 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Well got my money refunded today. The rain has started this week so I guess I have all winter to track a Ohlins down. 

By Falcofreak on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 03:12 pm:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

H E L P me friends!!! I just came back from vacation and was very happy to see my new shock from Technoflex had arrived. I almost can't wait to mount it, but now I see the last posts and don't know if I shall try to mount it or send it back and hopefully get my money back (I bought it directly from the factory and transfered the payment electronically), or wait for the new version.
As far as I can see I got the wrong one, but it is difficult to see on the pictures. Bef can you give me some measures I can check before I demount the old one?
Thanks in advance. 

By Befbever on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 05:48 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

There's no measurements I can give you as this is a difficult thing to measure. You need to check if the reservoir is rotated backwards enough from the top mounting point. Easiest thing to do is just fit it. It doesn't take all that long really.

Hope it works out. 

By John1000 on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 07:29 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Take care fitting it make sure the rear wheel is dropped as far as possible and it will fly in, and don�t fully tighten the bolts as you will probably find it does foul the exhaust and you will have to take it back out (hope I�m wrong).  

By Dave on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 11:11 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

You've got it you might as well try it, Bef's got no problem with his, you might be luky.

Oops, just poped out to try and measure distance from swingarm to header - mille swingarm  

By John1000 on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 11:37 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Dave any news on yours??
Did you do the track day yesterday if so how was it.  

By Dave on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:04 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Not yet, I'm back in patience mode for the mo, will let you know.

The trackday was excellent, managed to stay upright again and once I'd learned the track some, had an ace time - still bloody krackered - sore shoulders, back, thighs...

The shock does seem to do its job on track to my relatively novice eye, no wallowing, headshake, in fact quite confidence enspiring. On the road I've no complaints whatsoever, and I'm not known for hanging about I've also got the mille arm though which is stiffer and will also have provided an improvement, then there's the wheels - when I send it back I'll need to refit the sucks and see how much difference it makes - the arm and shock went on together.

Did I read that you've got an Ohlins? Not waiting then  

By John1000 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:32 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Wasn�t given a date for a replacement or if one was in the pipeline so decided to go for a Ohlins to my surprise the first place I tried had one on the shelf. So it should be with me early this week and it was only £30 more than the Technoflex.
Glad the track day was a success, am aiming to do a few next summer myself with luck (if the bottle holds out).  

By Dave on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:39 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

K-tech told me within a month. Enjoy the Ohlins!

Maybe on a track next year then - bottle? I have no trouble with bottle - open it, finish it, fall over  

By Falcofreak on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:53 pm:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Thanks all of you. I will try and mount it after work today. I will let you know the result.
I have discussed the problem with Roy (Technoflex)
and there is no problem in returning the shock and get the modified one, if it doesn't fit.
It seems to me they are very serviceminded at Technoflex and can only recommend them so far.

By Falcofreak on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 09:29 am:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Hello again Falconfans.
The test is done and unfortunately with negative result..
I'm going to send it back tomorow hopeing to get the modified one soon.
I must admit it was very easy to mount and demount, but you have to lift the bike very much to put in the Technoflex. (I used a small crane in our workshop in the company and put a rod through the swingarm as descriped by Bef and a pc. of robe(thanks again Bef)).
Unfortunately the winter is very close and I doubt I will get many opportunities to test the modified one 

By John1000 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:02 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

The easiest way to lift the back up is to put a plank or block under a paddock stand, lifts the back up high enough to put the stands under the bar through the swing-arm.

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:21 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

God you've got a lot of extra weights, to balance the tyre!!!! I can't read the brand, but Bridgestones on my bike have 2 weights only.  

By John1000 on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:39 pm:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

I was told they were needed to counter balance the fact that I dress to the left. 

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 05:37 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Or is that hang to the left? 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation