Pull clutch in ... stall!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Pull clutch in ... stall!
By Litre1 on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 09:39 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I went for a short ride yesterday evening, and before I could get started, I stalled the thing. I don't know what happened. I was warming it up with the idle advancer keeping it at about 2k rpm. When she was nice and warm, I dropped off the choke and got ready to go. I pulled the kickstand, and pulled the clutch to put her in gear--and dead. No lurch to indicate it went into first without enough clutch or anything. When I tried to start her back up, it turned over several times like it was flooded, and finally fired when I blipped the throttle. It hasn't been in the wet for sometime, so I don't think it would have anything to do with the sensor in the intake duct. Anyway, it seemed to run fine after it fired back up.

Anyone got an explanation?  

By Oldgit on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:13 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

That's what you call character litre1, It could be that the clutch plates where sticky when was the last time you used it?

May also be first signs of a duff side stand switch mine gave similar signs just before it fell apart completly.

It's not uncommon for a falco to stall when cold and they are all to easy to flood when trying a restart, trick is to hold the throttle wide open while restarting, to clear her throat, that works for me. 

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:41 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hell, I practically live on the thing and I stalled it only last week. My mind was elsewhere. With my nice comfy bed in fact.  

By Litre1 on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:48 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Oldgit, I fired it up after I washed it last Friday--to evaporate any moisture I couldn't towel off. But I hadn't ridden it since my 1700 mile tour of Appalachia which ended 9/17. The clutch felt different when I was riding this time, too. It felt like I had to pull it in more to disengage it. I've ordered the clutch slave cylinder from evoluzione.net, and it should be arriving tomorrow. It may just be that the clutch fluid needs to be bled (only 5235 miles or 8425 km). But I will bleed the clutch line when I install the new slave cylinder.

I also bought the throttle body synch tool. It sounds so easy to use, and too cheap not to buy it.

I have stalled it before, but normally pulling away in 1st gear without enough throttle.  

By Oldgit on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 02:47 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Litre1, if you haven't allready read what has been written here about engine oil grades, you should do so, are you on 15-50.
since doing in my left wrist I am contenplating a new slave sylinder as well, but being a bit of a skinflint I thought I might have a go at fitting a suitable automotive cylinder, must be one that would fit at half the price of evoluzion's and seals would be available. 

By Litre1 on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 05:33 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I have been using Golden Spectro 10-40 in the fall/winter/spring months and 20-50 in the summer. Both semi-synth. Never had a problem with the clutch. Had it slip out of gear once, but I think that was the result of a weak foot. I have only ridden on the road, and at moderate speeds, so nothing should be too worn out.

I am not too worried about it cutting out like it did, it just felt unnatural the way it died. Is there a way to remove the engine cutout on the side stand, but leave the warning light attached? I am thinking about doing something like that to bypass the sidestand problem altogether. The warning light is enough to let me know the sidestand is down.  

By Oldgit on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:39 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

The warning light is enough OH YER, brave man.

Should be easy to disconect the cut out. I think it may be linked with the micro switch on the clutch lever though.

I think if you have the later side stand switch with the metal spike it's not a problem.

Guy I know used a disc lock, used it for years, he tied a bit of rag to his handle bar so he wouldn't forget.
You know what's coming, he cleaned his visor with it one day and went over the bars, poor sod. 

By Litre1 on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:26 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Yeah, I've seen plenty of "real men" on HD's riding through parking lots with the side stand down. It's fun to watch their expressions when they realize they've left it down!

I would at least like to keep the reminder so that is less likely to happen to me. Keep in mind, I laugh at myself probably more than I should!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation