More Exhaust Questions

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: More Exhaust Questions
By Jjoe256 on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 04:07 pm:  View Jjoe256's Profile Search for other posts by Jjoe256 Edit this post

I'm looking for relatively quiet,deep throaty pipesfor my Falco. Possibilities are Remus race or legal,Laser Hotcams,Quill Oval,Micron,Scorpion,I checked out the sound cards on motorcyclenews.co.uk and the Quills sounded about what I'm looking for.Hard to tell though. The Wolf's didn't sound right,though they're highly rated. If anyone has actually heard any of these cans,especially on a Falco,especially the Hotcams,please,don't be a stranger! I leave the house before the birds start,so don't want to roust the neighbors. Wish the folks at the local pub felt the same way about their late nights! Thanx up front.  

By Oldgit on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 03:01 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

I've never been into loud cans Joe, only heard a few Falco's one was on Termigoni nice, another was a Blue flame, the best sound and look for me was some Giannelli very deep sound.

I must confess I have been tempted. 

By Jamsfalco on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 04:13 am:  View Jamsfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jamsfalco Edit this post

This is a problem that i had also and i solved it by visiting the very very nice man at Renegade. He spent 2-3 hours with me demonstrating the road and race cans and the best way to go. I am currently awaiting delivery of the Renegade Hi mount Race can with the facitiy to fit the DB killer. The DB killer just drops the noise to ridiculously quiet and can be used for that early morning start or trip through police infested roads. At the same time you still have the option of full on race cans for that excursion onto the track. Consider that the Falco rins at 94db stationary and with the Renes this rises to 97DB and conforms with the FIA regulations for use on a race track . As an idea to the noise on race cans see if they conform to the FIA regulations..........and the Renes are apparently no louder than Termigs on a Ducati......must stop for breath....hope.....this.....helps 

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 04:30 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

I have Skorpions and am very pleased with them. I've not had any problems with the police even though they are "race use only"
I think they sound lovely, deep but not too loud unlike the RSC's I had.
Hope this helps,
Andy.

By Befbever on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 05:06 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I leave for work before the cows get milked as well and I don't have any problems with my Rene's. Without dB killers. If anything, I should get payed for producing such a beautiful deep sound.

Whoops. Pardon. 

By R100gs on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 07:16 am:  View R100gs's Profile Search for other posts by R100gs Edit this post

Micron=Loud 

By Hansie on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 10:04 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

I used my Renegaded Falco daily , passed loads of lawman but never a word. Its very diffecult to meassure a Vtwin , its just to low.

My prev Bike Kouwezakkie ZRX1100 with Laser got stopped twice for sound but just a warning ,without any measuring!

Hansie 

By Befbever on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 10:12 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

passed loads of lawman but never a word

That's because you couldn't hear them!

"Oi! Hey you! Bigfoot! Oi! "

By Powermaster on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 10:36 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

R100gs, did you fall down
Noise, as such is a very personal thing and very hard to explain or reproduce over the net.

What to some may be soft to others may be agressive.
One of the things the we at Rene, pride ourselves, is our deep base sound, yet on another forum a client called it "dirty", ironically these words came from the same person, who in the past praised our products, as he used to have Renes on his SV "and once again I am impressed."

Road cans have to pass through rigorous noise tests at certain engine revs. On the Falco this is done at 5000rpm or there abouts, resulting in 94dbs, the tone between different manufacturers can vary, however the same Dbs have to be achieved.
Again, this tone can be subjective. As for Off Road, many manufacturers build them to FIM regs of a maximum 102dbs, (maximum racing level allowed) our for instance on the Falco are about 97 dbs.
Dbs are a strange lot and sometimes play little tricks, you hear a sound and you feel it loud, yet on a meter reading it reads very low.
In our factory our loudest machine is the S/steel saw, anyone who heard one feels it's sound disturbing, yet the law mower from our neighbour registers higher dbs

Figure this one out  

By Geo on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 12:56 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Higher frequencies are easier to hear and more "grating" both.
Lower frequencies are harder to hear (at the same volume level) and less stressfull on one's nerves. Just ask any old git (like me).  

By Islefalco on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 01:22 pm:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

My solution: RSC cans and fcuk the neighbours.

Sure helps if you're an anti social bastid.  

By Prilliant on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 01:44 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Ah. That'll be me then 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 11:36 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Quote:

yet the law mower from our neighbour registers higher dbs

....arent law mowers illegal?

what next Pig Flymos?; Wouldnt their batons get caught in the blade?

Derailment #5687 in place, time to get coat #76096 oops  

By Oldgit on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:24 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Will all you Renergaded falco's rev up on Sunday morninig at 8am so I can hear what they sound like.  

By Litre1 on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:53 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Hey Oldgit, does Gianelli make any slip-ons in anything other than aluminum? They are pretty cheap, as cans go. I guess most aluminum cans are cheaper with the introduction of carbon and titanium. I have been tempted to buy a pair, too.  

By Hansie on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:07 pm:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Be carefull with alu exhausts , they scratch and dent very easely.Advise : dont do it! Pay a bit extra for better materials.

Hansie 

By Tokas on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 12:25 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

Last sunday I had the pleasure to meet a fellow Falco owner (Jorgen, found on this forum!) and go for a nice ride on curvy roads.

Powermaster: It was obvious that my bike was louder than his and mine had a sharper/harder tone, in low frequencys pretty similar.
Is that because of the highmounts or mileage of silencers, or something else? Do you recomend repacking? /What intervals?

Jörgens Falco 2000: 2500 miles, Renegade SS LOWmount with 1500 miles, Renegade air kit.
My Falco 2001: 5500 miles, Renegade SS HIGHmount with lots of miles (1000+Hansie's miles! Hansie! How far have you ridden these Renegades?), DIY airbox kit 

By Islefalco on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:28 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

As a rough guide, I would intend to consider repacking when I get a noise abatement order from the neighbours and/or pedestrians jump over walls and shake their fists as I approach them.  

By Tokas on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:34 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

I agree totally with you, IsleFalco! I won't repack them for now then.
But I'm still interested to hear what Jorge (aka. Powermaster ) has to say about it, being his design and all... 

By Hansie on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 02:09 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

I used them for aprox 16000miles.
If the silencers become hot I would repack them.

But yes , Jorge is the man to ask.

Hansie  

By Oldgit on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 02:24 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Litre1, being not road legal I would guess they don't make them in stainless steal, they make cans in carbon and titanium for some bike's.

I doubt if I would fit them for road use, but they do make a good sound.

Hansie make's a good point about being easily damaged. Having said that it would be easy to fix a dent or two in an alloy can. I recently spent quite some time pulling out a dent repairing my standerd can after stupidly falling off, looks ok now though  

By Powermaster on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 07:08 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Quote:

being not road legal I would guess they don't make them in stainless steal

HELOOOO, Euston, we have a problem
Only kidding, we do them all.

Tokas I think your cans are in real need of repacking, 16.000, je, Hansie you did get your money's worth Another thing Tokas, it could be that funny kit you made. .

Quote:

Possibilities are Remus race or legal,Laser Hotcams,Quill Oval,Micron,Scorpion,

Jjoe, no consideration for us  

By Powermaster on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 07:11 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Quote:

I recently spent quite some time pulling out a dent repairing my standerd can after stupidly falling off, looks ok now though

Oldgit, one of the advantages of the Renes is the facility to repair by just getting the damaged parts  

By Litre1 on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 09:14 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Good point, Jorge. By the way, how are repair costs handled there? Is it a typical repair fee plus postage, or hourly rate depending on amount of damage?  

By Oldgit on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:15 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Ok powermaster, I'm sold Renes are the best by far, now will you send me a demo pair to try out on my neigbours  

By Befbever on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 12:38 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Here's how you do that:

Quote:

Possibilities are Remus race or legal,Laser Hotcams,Quill Oval,Micron,Scorpion

It's called subliminal advertising.

Whereas this is called getting one's coat.

By Scottaride on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 07:34 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Get the Renes. Just got mine and the sound is superb...just ask anyone in my neighbourhood

Just kidding, the sound is deep and crisp, without being too loud. Its loud enough to sound like your on a race bread beastie, without sounding like an intrusive ear bashing. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation