Oil Check

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Oil Check
By Magic on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 02:45 am:  View Magic's Profile Search for other posts by Magic Edit this post

Anyone any suggestions(?) on the best method of checking the oil level, to get an accurate reading? Ta.  

By John1000 on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 03:40 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Short of draining all the oil out and measuring it no. Just know be careful if using the sighting tube as if you fill it near the Max level, when the engine gets hot the clutch is hard to use so take it for a test before riding to far.  

By Crmc33 on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 03:47 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Magic,

I think Ive read b4 that Aprilia have more problems with bikes that are overfilled with oil than underfilled.
Personally, I find it difficult to get a consistent oil level reading, so as long as theres some oil in the tank after a decent run (10 miles or more) then Im happy.

HTH 

By Racerxlilbro on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 06:16 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Here's the trick:

Make sure the bike is up to temp... at least 10 minutes of riding. Shut the bike off. Oil should be just peeking in the bottom of the tube. If it doesn't, start the bike, hold it about 3500 RPM for about 15 seconds, recheck. Works for me...  

By Twowheels78 on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:00 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Here's how I do it....in, out, in, out...oh...opps sorry forgot that we're talking about oil here To check the oil level, get the bike up to temp, check the level with the bike running and vertical, the level should be in the middle (even with the horizontal fin on the engine cover). At least that's how I do it and it hasn't failed me yet. If I recall correctly this topic has come up before and this is the conclusion that everyone came too.

One more note, make sure to check it often (I check mine every 1000 miles or so) as the bike seems to use quite a bit a oil, at least mine does. If it's low top it up but don't fill it all the way to the top, when the bike warms up the level goes up. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation