HELP, problems to start minus 4 Celsius .....

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: HELP, problems to start minus 4 Celsius .....
By Antti on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 11:20 pm:  View Antti's Profile Search for other posts by Antti Edit this post

Problems to start on the morning whit minus 4 Celsius because I got to drive my bike to my winter garage. So i start to switch ignition on and push start buttom and only sound I heard was when the fuel bump working but only when I pushed the start button. No normal fuel bump sound when switching ingnition on. Battery looks to be allright because the lights was normal .Is there possible water mixed in fuel and frosen over night, they promissed that temperature will rise to +10 degers celsius to afternoon. I tset started the bike 2 daysago and it started after second time ok. I let it run when motor was normal +67Celsius warm. So help!  

By Andyjfalco on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:59 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

My guess would be the battery. Even if you still have lights it's a very lumpy engine to turn over. Do you run an alarm? The extra drain + the very cold weather might cause your problem.
I find mine needs to be kept on a trickle charge if I don't use it for a week or so even in summer. Optimate battery chargers are top kit.
Andy.

By Scotty on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 03:01 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Antti, the bike does NOT like severe cold weather, esp if your battery maybe a little down on charge. The cold kills batterys.

I had a non starting problem which was due to a low/weak battery that no longer held its charge.
The bike had been standing for 2/3 days outside in minus temps. The bike had been ridden on a 50mile journey back home when last used.

On the frozen morning I attempted to start the engine I got no joy at all. The bikes starter would turn slowly but the bike simply wouldn't fire at all - eventually pushing unburnt fuel out of the engine (not good).

I had to recover mine to the dealer for them to fix. 

By Befbever on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 06:07 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Antti, welcome!

If you do get it running, press the D button once. At 4000 rpm and with the lights on, the voltage should read between 13 and 15 volts. If it's less, change your battery.
More info here

A Jarno Saarinen fan. 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 06:28 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I think Antti doesnt need a fan, he needs a heater! 

By Befbever on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:51 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

By Befbever on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:58 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

befbart

Testing 

By Befbever on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:10 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Sorry, don't mean to derail, just ignore me. 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:46 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

who said that? 

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:00 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Who said what? I didn't hear anything! Must be those voices in your head Crmc33 Sorry, couldn't resist...LOL

Sorry Annti, I'm not going to be much help. I keep mine in a garage and have never had a problem starting it. Except for the time I put the tip over sensor back on upside down 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation