Cool Running

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Cool Running
By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 03:47 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

No not the movie, it sucked Now that the temperature has dropped (average highs in the 60's) the bike never seems to get to normal operating temp. My understanding is that it has a 180 thermostat? Was out for a ride on Saturday and Sunday and the highest it ever got on the road was 150-155. In traffic and around town it would warm up to 180-190 but as soon as I got back on the road it dropped back down to 150. Is this normal? Is it going to hurt anything? 

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:47 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Sorry, can't help. Mine's in the other scale.
I think that as long as it's not flashing COLD, as it does when you turn it on,it will be ok.
I think 52-53 is about the lowest, any less would have me worrying. *I may be wrong*

By Scotty on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:11 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

150 degF equates to 65.5 deg C, when my bike is warm it runs at around 64 deg C unless I'm riding slowly in heavy traffic or stopped at lights.

I don't think that you have anything to worry about temp behaviour sounds exactly like mine!

Andy you could have just found the equation to calculate temps from F to C Took two seconds to find on the wonderous wealth of information on the internet!
Anyway for those interested its....
degC = (degF - 32) /1.8 

By Litre1 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 05:25 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Mine likes to run between 154d F and 164d F depending on the outside temp. When in traffice it heats up a lot, but it stays below 180d F unless I am in the draft from traffic ahead. Then the fan usually cuts on at 203d F.

What you are saying sounds right in line with what mine does.  

By Befbever on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 10:56 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

67°C is my bike's favourite temperature.
70° C cruising at 130, 140 mph.  

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 02:01 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

That's what mine is most of the time too. Fans will cut in at 95-97C. 

By Falconas on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 12:24 am:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

Probably the Greek weather is hotter because mine when moving has 76°-78°C and in the traffic up to 97° until the fans start. I read other riders say that in the winter they never see above 60° or something and some also closing some part of the radiator to help the temp climb!!!!! That's very strange. Even at very cold days(7°-8° here in Greece) or 35° in the summer time the bike runs at 76°-78°. Maybe it's also the cooling fluid used by Aprilia's dealers all over the world.  

By Rca on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 12:30 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

My 2000 RSV used in the UK runs at 75°-76° and the fans start at about 96°-97°. Looks to me as though depending on age and/or market the thermostat is different.  

By Falcorob on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 02:23 pm:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Mine runs at 77 unless in town when she gets to 80+. Fans kick in around 92.

How do you do the symbol for degrees on a bloody computer keyboard?

I digress.

Rob.  

By Andyjfalco on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 04:23 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Not a clue.....  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation